PDA

View Full Version : Gauge cab for Tim Conrad's OV-10A Bronco Kaputt!

Sascha66
September 26th, 2010, 13:45
Hi,

I have downloaded the OV-10A By Tim from a number of FS sites and always get an error message when extracting the OV-10A.cab gauge file. Everything else is fine!

Can somebody maybe PM me the extracted file?

Thank you!

Sascha

ian elliot
September 26th, 2010, 13:50
i dont think your supposed to unzip them, just leave them zip'd up and left in your panel or gauge folder.
hope this helps, ian

Tom Clayton
September 26th, 2010, 14:12
Yep - no need to extract anything from the cab file. Just make sure it's either in the plane's own panel folder or in the Gauges folder of your main install.

Sascha66
September 26th, 2010, 15:42
Sorry, I was not clear about this - I mean I cannot extract the cab file itself from the original zip onto my local drive. Everything extracts into FS folder just fine only the cab will not extract. I downloaded the packages from several sites and the problem persists with all different packages. WTF !!!???

falcon409
September 26th, 2010, 15:46
Ok, when you extract the zipfile and you get the individual aircraft folder and gauges folder, etc. . .are you saying it doesn't also give you the cab file as part of the extract? If it's visible in the zipfile before you extract everything, there's no reason for it to not extract it.

As others have already explained. . .and I'm sure you know this. . .the cab file does not extract. . .it remains, what appears to be a zipfile. That entire file, as is, get's dropped into the gauges folder.

falcon409
September 26th, 2010, 15:52
I'm downloading from flightsim.com to see what I get, but I don't anticipate having any trouble extracting everything. If you want, I'll send you the cab file.:salute:

Ok. . .here's what I get after extracting. . .and you can see that the cab file is visible in both.

Tom Clayton
September 26th, 2010, 19:34
Sascha, I have no idea what program you're using to extract the files, but if you're not doing this already, try using Windows' native zip function. Right-click the zip file and select Open With, then select "Compressed (zipped) Folders" to open it like any other folder. Then you should be able to drag the cab file into its correct location.

ThinkingManNeil
September 27th, 2010, 03:42
This was the same problem I was having and still have not been able to resolve. Using Microsoft's native extractor in Windows 7 gave me a copying error message and would not give me the cab file in the temporary file the extractor creates, and trying to copy the cab file directly from the still compressed original file would not allow me to paste it in the gauges folder. I've given up on it for now as I'm dealing with some other FS9 issues that I've not had time to address.

N.

falcon409
September 27th, 2010, 04:08
I don't use the windows native extractor. . .I use a freeware program called IZarc which will extract virtually every zipped file known to man, lol. It's free and allows you to choose what types of zipped programs you want to be able to extract.:salute:

RL_201
September 27th, 2010, 07:53
I've been having the same problem as Sascha66 and ThinkingManNeil are having. If I try to move the ov-10a.cab file into the FS9 gauges folder, I get an error message, with the following Error: 0x80004005: Unspecified Error.

falcon409
September 27th, 2010, 09:32
What program are you folks using to extract/unzip your files with? Since whatever you're using isn't working, take the time to download IZarc, install it and try that. . .if it works, then you can go happily on your way. . .if it doesn't, then it isn't the extraction program that's at fault, it's something else. I've downloaded his OV-10 from the SOH archives and from flightsim.com and unzipped both using IZarc and in both cases it worked perfectly so it's not the zipfile that's at fault, it's either your program or something in the setup that isn't configured correctly.

My recommendation is to quit trying to get whatever you're currently using to work because it obviously isn't working and download either winzip (if you aren't already using that) or what I've already suggested twice which is IZarc.

Tom Clayton
September 27th, 2010, 14:48
It's also possible that your file could be corrupt in some way. Try getting a copy from another source.

Edit: Try this one - http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=ov10a_v2.zip

Sascha66
September 28th, 2010, 13:42
It's also possible that your file could be corrupt in some way. Try getting a copy from another source.

Edit: Try this one - http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=ov10a_v2.zip

Guys,

thank you for the replies. Interesting to see that others have the same problem!

Tom, I already downloaded the file from flightsim, avsim and simviation (I think) and the problem occured each time.

I tried unzipping with native zip, 7z, winrar and IZArc and it was no go each time!

A real pity because I d'ld lots of repaints for this bird!

Cheers,
Sascha

aardvark62
September 28th, 2010, 15:14
Sascha - one more to try, another freebie called ZipGenius (now on version 6). Works fine with every compressed file I've tried. Worth a go.

A.

samusi01
October 7th, 2010, 12:58
If alternative unzip programs don't work and you have access to a copy of XP, use XP. Had this problem two days ago and found that I couldn't get the gauges out of the zip file in Win7. Walked over to another PC (with XP on it) and viola! The file was extracted successfully. Originally d/l'ed the OV-10 from simviation.

-Sam

Sascha66
October 7th, 2010, 15:08
Thanks for helping guys! Falcon409 kindly sent me the file so I can now enjoy flying the Bronc!

Sam, I tried using XP like you suggested and it worked for me too! I will remember this for next time, thank you!

Sascha