PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim Ah-1W Super Cobra.

Ferry_vO
September 24th, 2010, 12:19
Now freeware over at http://www.alphasim.co.uk/ :applause:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsscr282.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsscr284.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsscr286.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsscr288.jpg

Warrant
September 24th, 2010, 12:46
Nice find, Ferry!

:salute:

Since AS seized their activities, i failed to check the site occasionally.

kilo delta
September 24th, 2010, 13:21
Native FSX model too...for those that haven't checked.

No matter what your views on Alphasim as a company, they've always been generous with their freeware. :)

krazycolin
September 24th, 2010, 14:56
MY BABY!!!!!!

Murray Cod
September 24th, 2010, 16:36
thanks for the HU:salute:

OleBoy
September 24th, 2010, 16:48
Wow nice. Must have a try at this one.

Tako_Kichi
September 24th, 2010, 17:30
I grabbed her a couple of days ago and she's a very nice flier especially if you drop the 'heli trim' gauge in the panel.

She can be a bit difficult to slow down so you have to stay ahead of the game when it comes to landing and she hovers for a long time before starting to descend but she does come down gently and landings are easy to pull off.

I wonder if there is a paintkit out there for her. Hmmm!

blazefox2
September 24th, 2010, 17:32
yay!

Now i have another cobra along with the area51 ah-1z :jump:

thank you for this amazing find!

polygoon
September 24th, 2010, 17:40
She can be a bit difficult to slow down so you have to stay ahead of the game when it comes to landing and she hovers for a long time before starting to descendYou know what, I think that is not the helicopter, but a very annoying thing with FSX, I noticed that with so many Helicopters I fly in that sim, it really puts me off helo flying which I loved to do in FS9.
I'm not sure if any of you guys noticed the same thing...

The only one that really descends as it should on closing the throttle and doesn't float forever is the Sycamore freeware Helo done by british classics.
Must have been a real wiz who was writing the airfile.

Tako_Kichi
September 24th, 2010, 19:33
I have a number of FSX helos that descend somewhat realistically but there are others that are definite 'floaters' as you described.

Mithrin
September 25th, 2010, 00:20
Wow freeware, that's a real treat. It's still a good looking model!

Lateral-G
September 25th, 2010, 05:53
.........not the helicopter, but a very annoying thing with FSX, I noticed that with so many Helicopters I fly in that sim, it really puts me off helo flying which I loved to do in FS9.
I'm not sure if any of you guys noticed the same thing...

I love helos but the FM in FSX for them is totally fictitious.

Still, nice to have it as freeware.

Dain Arns
September 25th, 2010, 07:06
I love helos but the FM in FSX for them is totally fictitious.

Still, nice to have it as freeware.

It's unfortunate to see this FSX 'urban legend/myth' continues to exist in this community to this day.
While the rotor effectiveness is better than exists in real world helicopter operation, the FM for helicopter operation in FSX is quite frankly, not all that bad within the bounds made possible by FSX's engine.
To make a blanket statement saying it is a totally fictitious FM, well one would then logically have apply that same statement to fixed wing operations FM within FSX as well.
Bluntly, the FM is only as good as the developer who made it.
I think the Dodosim 206, which is built on the FM foundation of FSX, speaks volumes for itself. :wavey:

While I'm sure many here won't except my opinion, I would encourage folks who are interested in helicopter simming to talk to some of the real world helicopter pilots over at Hovercontrol.com (http://www.hovercontrol.com/)
Those pilots do find the FM to be quite satisfactory and are happy to explain the technical aspects of it, anytime.
And I do accept their opinions and experience with real world vs FSX, over that of the general FSX community. :salute:

falcon409
September 25th, 2010, 07:30
I have to agree with you Dain. To be upfront, I know nothing about how a heli should fly other than in very general terms. I have also gotten a few lessons from the very knowledgeable folks at Hovercontrol and as you mentioned, their overall opinion of the FSX flight dynamics for heli's is a positive one. Could it be better. . .no doubt, but given the restrictions of the sim, they felt it was quite realistic. I don't have any problems with heli's in FSX, they're fun to fly, a real handful sometimes, but that's part of what makes them fun. . .you actually have to stay on top of them to do what you want.:salute:

michael davies
September 25th, 2010, 07:31
Bluntly, the FM is only as good as the developer who made it.

And thats exactly why I game up doing them, they are quiet clearly crap, shame I didn't realise that after the 2nd or 3rd and not the 10th, could of saved myself a ****e load of grief and wasted man hours to be honest.

I could fix the float issue from experiance learned since the original FDE was done, quiet easily to be honest, but its only putting a bigger band aid on something that really needs redoing from new.

The Alphasim ethos was to produce FDEs that got more people into rotory winged flight, as such they were dumbed down and made to suit those who predominately flew fixed wing, to that end they were very popular and over the years got quiet a lot of new people into the rotary winged arena. However for every positive mail we got about how fixed wing could finally fly something rotatry we got 3 who slammed it as too dumb or just plain crap.

A rather large part of my FS career that I wish had never happend and quite frankly wish would just curl up and die horribly in a corner somewhere, thank goodness I'm back to basic poly bending.

krazycolin
September 25th, 2010, 08:07
As an FYI, we're in the middle of prepping this one for FSX as a REAL native bird. The model we sold to AS was modded down considerably for FS9 and so, even though it has "native" aspects, it's not nearly as good as the one we're now doing... :P

(sorry if this is a rip of the thread... I do apologize)

Dain Arns
September 25th, 2010, 09:18
I have to agree with you Dain. To be upfront, I know nothing about how a heli should fly other than in very general terms. I have also gotten a few lessons from the very knowledgeable folks at Hovercontrol and as you mentioned, their overall opinion of the FSX flight dynamics for heli's is a positive one. Could it be better. . .no doubt, but given the restrictions of the sim, they felt it was quite realistic. I don't have any problems with heli's in FSX, they're fun to fly, a real handful sometimes, but that's part of what makes them fun. . .you actually have to stay on top of them to do what you want.:salute:

Right Ed.
And I don't want to come off as sounding like the helicopter FM is all wonderful, wholesome, fluffy, goodness.
It's not.
But it does it's job satisfactory, and gives someone a good indication of what it's like, minus some of the hazards like VRS (Vortex ring state).
Agreed.

But with the continued development by Fred Naar, in association now with real world rotorcraft pilots, of the freeware HTR library, things are getting better and more realistic.
The best in the realsim area, Dodosim has the 206 which bumps up the realism quite a bit, (and the Huey development appears to be coming along nicely).
There are additional 'realism' opportunities available, for those who wish to seek them.

Dain Arns
September 25th, 2010, 09:27
And thats exactly why I game up doing them, they are quiet clearly crap, shame I didn't realise that after the 2nd or 3rd and not the 10th, could of saved myself a ****e load of grief and wasted man hours to be honest.

I could fix the float issue from experiance learned since the original FDE was done, quiet easily to be honest, but its only putting a bigger band aid on something that really needs redoing from new.

The Alphasim ethos was to produce FDEs that got more people into rotory winged flight, as such they were dumbed down and made to suit those who predominately flew fixed wing, to that end they were very popular and over the years got quiet a lot of new people into the rotary winged arena. However for every positive mail we got about how fixed wing could finally fly something rotatry we got 3 who slammed it as too dumb or just plain crap.

A rather large part of my FS career that I wish had never happend and quite frankly wish would just curl up and die horribly in a corner somewhere, thank goodness I'm back to basic poly bending.

Mick, I disagree with you and feel you are being too hard on yourself.
I saw your FM's as providing a good stable experience for the casual sim user who wanted the occasional helicopter flight.
It fit the niche quite well.
I think some of your hand in development of helicopter products have opened the door for some of us who went exploring a little deeper into the world of rotorcraft.
Even though I like to operate the Dodosim 206, I just finished a most enjoyable flight in the Alphasim/Virtavia Sea King as I'm typing this.
Thank you.

EDIT: Oh and thank you Mick and KC for the AH-1W.
I paid for my copy a couple years ago and never regretted it once.
I still dig it out from time to time.

Ferry_vO
September 25th, 2010, 09:58
I know no flightsim will ever offer the perfect experience, but without FsX I would probably not fly a helicopter very often... I could do it in Fs9 but only if I dumbed down the settings a lot. In FsX I can fly 'em like I used to, with all sliders right.

I have five add-on helicopters in my FsX install, and all are Alphasim's; the Super Cobra, Seasprite, pavelow, Merlin and S.55 and I love them all.

michael davies
September 25th, 2010, 10:46
Mick, I disagree with you and feel you are being too hard on yourself.
I saw your FM's as providing a good stable experience for the casual sim user who wanted the occasional helicopter flight.
It fit the niche quite well.
I think some of your hand in development of helicopter products have opened the door for some of us who went exploring a little deeper into the world of rotorcraft.
Even though I like to operate the Dodosim 206, I just finished a most enjoyable flight in the Alphasim/Virtavia Sea King as I'm typing this.
Thank you.

EDIT: Oh and thank you Mick and KC for the AH-1W.
I paid for my copy a couple years ago and never regretted it once.
I still dig it out from time to time.

Too harsh, or your too kind. It is important to recognize ones own limits and skills.

The sad fact is that some of the constraints placed upon Alphasim helo FDEs were not sim generated, there are other aspects, tools and gauges that can enhance the basic FS helo FDE, however these are generally created by the freeware fraternity, getting them on board a payware product is hard, especially if 'management' are cool to the idea, for what ever reason, real or perceived. Of course being freeware means anyone can 'dig' around and see whats what, and dare we say copy aspects and generate there own versions. However it wont take long for the community to unravel whats going on, lets be fair, once something is invented for FS its very hard to reinvent another way, and thus plagiarism is born.

Personally I prefer the tag of crappy default FS helo FDE to a plagiarist.

They had their place but that place is long gone and easily surpassed these days, the new Merlin FSx Accel FDE is quite good, one was developed for the Seaking but not shipped due to the late date and the changes it would have forced on the sound files, who's author is totally in-transient to changes and often caused the FDE to be totally changed to suit his sound format, with the loss of some fidelity and gauge issues, simply due to the type of engine parameter chosen (wrongly).

The S-55 was a good stepping stone, at the time the heaviest genuine weighted piston FDE, a FDE where the cfg weight actually represented the real weight, to that date most piston FDEs fitted to large piston helos still used the default Robinson weights, its not perfect, too much nose down at high speed but weight and lift were pretty good. The Stallion was pretty good, its sheer weight destroyed lift naturally and slowed pretty quick, the problem was the lighter weighted ones, Cobras, Dauphins, Apaches etc.

I did do two more FDEs, based on the Merlin FDE, one a 'big' zero torque yaw twin rotor jobby, the other a Soviet iconic helo, but since Alphasims demise, the low profile of Virtavia, other political issues and myself having lost all interest in ever doing any more helo FDE, they will probably remain still born, and on reflection, probably just as well.

Let me look at the Cobra in a moment, pretty sure the float can be dialed out in a few moments.

Best

Michael

michael davies
September 25th, 2010, 10:50
As an FYI, we're in the middle of prepping this one for FSX as a REAL native bird. The model we sold to AS was modded down considerably for FS9 and so, even though it has "native" aspects, it's not nearly as good as the one we're now doing... :P

(sorry if this is a rip of the thread... I do apologize)

I concur, the orignal was very good, and even after Milviz weight loss still had to go on a poly diet of huge proportions to get it into FS9.

I'm staggered at how much had to be lost and and how much fidelity was retained, it was a massive exercise to cram the Cobra into FS9, and all that work unseen by the end user :).

Best

Michael

Addendum

V1.5 here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickoo/files/ALPHA%20AH-1W%20Super%20Cobra%20FDE%20V1.5.zip use at your own discression, sold as seen, blah blah blah :), make a back up of the orignal files first, reduced float (I think) increased stability in the hover and a little more drag, maybe not enough but an improvement I hope, top speed slightly reduced but thats a side effect of the drag, I never said you could have cake 'and' eat it !.

Warrant
September 25th, 2010, 11:14
Their native FSX Royal Aircraft Factory's S.E.5.a is also freeware (probably old news though).
Available on same freeware page under the tab "British".

Ferry_vO
September 25th, 2010, 11:32
I did do two more FDEs, based on the Merlin FDE, one a 'big' zero torque yaw twin rotor jobby, the other a Soviet iconic helo

If you are talking about a Chinook and a Hook here (Halo would do fine too) I'm going to bang my head on my desk now... :banghead: Two helicopters I would have loved from Alphasim!

michael davies
September 25th, 2010, 11:39
If you are talking about a Chinook and a Hook here (Halo would do fine too) I'm going to bang my head on my desk now... :banghead: Two helicopters I would have loved from Alphasim!

Nope not a Hook or Halo, more iconic, much more.

Ferry_vO
September 25th, 2010, 12:04
So that leaves the Hip or the Hind I guess.

Shame, would love to see a Hook or Halo for Fs. Just the size of those things is simply amazing!:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Trier_july_2010/IMG_6017.jpg

Tako_Kichi
September 25th, 2010, 13:07
Addendum

V1.5 here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickoo/files/ALPHA%20AH-1W%20Super%20Cobra%20FDE%20V1.5.zip use at your own discression, sold as seen, blah blah blah :), make a back up of the orignal files first, reduced float (I think) increased stability in the hover and a little more drag, maybe not enough but an improvement I hope, top speed slightly reduced but thats a side effect of the drag, I never said you could have cake 'and' eat it !.
I just tried your files Michael and while the FM seems a little better during my very brief test for some reason the crew disappear in external view. I did a side-by-side comparison of the .cfg files and can't see an obvious reason for this and checking the payload manager shows weights are included for the crew. Not sure what's going on unless the answer lies in the .air file but it's an odd one for sure.

djscoo
September 25th, 2010, 13:48
Nope not a Hook or Halo, more iconic, much more.

Hip or a Hind, and I'm happy!

Warrant
September 25th, 2010, 14:06
Whish there would be a good decent Hook and/or Halo for FSX, with a great DVC. (Nemeth, Piglet, SamDim, are you reading this?)

Lateral-G
September 25th, 2010, 14:16
It's unfortunate to see this FSX 'urban legend/myth' continues to exist in this community to this day.

Urban myth/legend or not the fact is I have not found a single helo in FSX that flies like the real thing. There may be ones out there but I haven't come across them.

And I don't want to spend hard earned money on payware just to find out and perhaps be disappointed.

I used to frequent Hovercontrol quite a bit in FS9 days but the dearth of helos for FSX has made my visits there very infrequent.

-G-

michael davies
September 25th, 2010, 14:38
I just tried your files Michael and while the FM seems a little better during my very brief test for some reason the crew disappear in external view. I did a side-by-side comparison of the .cfg files and can't see an obvious reason for this and checking the payload manager shows weights are included for the crew. Not sure what's going on unless the answer lies in the .air file but it's an odd one for sure.

Nothing in the FDE for pilots as far as I know, its my master copy V1.4 with a few drag and lift parameters tweaked. Alphasim used to do some odd animation to make the crew go away, tailhook or water rudder ?,.... just checked the readme and the pilots are toggled with 2nd exit command, this was often added after the FDE left me, bloody annoying as it made the master FDE files not masters any more.

Just checked the cfg and in the exit section are two exit_rate.0=, that is incorrect, simply edit the 2nd one to read exit_rate.1 = as opposed to exit_rate.0 =

Try that and in the mean time I will ammend the listed one above, the pilots are fine in mine but I suspect I've got a beta model with out that animation added or something.

Best

Michael

V1.5 FDE cfg ammended for two exit command and hosted on FTP link above.

peter12213
September 25th, 2010, 14:39
[QUOTE=Ferry_vO;485772]So that leaves the Hip or the Hind I guess.

Shame, would love to see a Hook or Halo for Fs. Just the size of those things is simply amazing!: /[QUOTE]

Me too I love those giant Russian Helo's

Tako_Kichi
September 25th, 2010, 15:24
Just checked the cfg and in the exit section are two exit_rate.0=, that is incorrect, simply edit the 2nd one to read exit_rate.1 = as opposed to exit_rate.0 =

Try that and in the mean time I will ammend the listed one above, the pilots are fine in mine but I suspect I've got a beta model with out that animation added or something.
I just tried your suggestion Michael but I still have empty seats. I even tried 'Shift+E, 2' but no luck.

Dain Arns
September 25th, 2010, 16:26
I just tried your suggestion Michael but I still have empty seats. I even tried 'Shift+E, 2' but no luck.

Getting the same thing. FD are fun though! :wavey:

piperarcherpilot
September 25th, 2010, 17:55
I think the FDE is much nicer with v1.5, but I too am getting no crew. Must be something in the FDE itself, the CFG isnt missing anything.

mal998
September 25th, 2010, 21:06
Anybody seeing this where the HUD should be?
Whoops...downloaded and installed the one for FS9, silly me.

On the missing crew members try cntrl+w

piperarcherpilot
September 25th, 2010, 22:11
Heres another option: http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?ID=68&page=17&mark=5721

Near the bottom. Dont know who did the mods, but flight dynamics are totally different. Its got benefits and drawbacks...now the heli has two simulated engines (the second generator switch works now), and the crew and weapons can be toggled on/ off correctly, but the performance seems to be a little too good. Max speed in level flight is around 170 kts...dont know if thats realistic, but it seems a little too fast.

still no hud though...

michael davies
September 26th, 2010, 02:23
Ok,

Clearly the freeware one is a different model to my supposed master !, I'll collect the freeware one, modify that and then post that FDE up.

Re top speed, the Cobra is a demon, vmax is about 175Knts if I recall correctly, but that would probably be empty or in slick mode.

Best

Michael

Addendum http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickoo/files/ALPHA_AH-1W_Super_Cobra_V1.6.zip heres a revised FDE from the exact source you guys have, I dont have a clue what Alphasim have done, the model has been stripped of 4Mb of something somewhere and spec maps have all gone, theres been some changes in there somewhere and I've no idea what they are. The freeware pilots do not toggle at all on my system ?, so I've tried something else, rather than make them work have tried to make them default to on all the time, try V1.6 and see what happens but either way I cannot replicate missing pilots with any combination of FDEs or models, most odd and just another very good reason to be away from it all ! :).

michael davies
September 26th, 2010, 03:07
Heres another option: http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?ID=68&page=17&mark=5721

Near the bottom. Dont know who did the mods, but flight dynamics are totally different. Its got benefits and drawbacks...now the heli has two simulated engines (the second generator switch works now), and the crew and weapons can be toggled on/ off correctly, but the performance seems to be a little too good. Max speed in level flight is around 170 kts...dont know if thats realistic, but it seems a little too fast.

still no hud though...

The HUD has been stripped out, that gauge is still payware, but the glass is still there so you can add your own HUD if you want, look in the panel cfg and near the bottom you will see a section called Vcockpit02 the gauge you need to edit is the only gauge in there

;gauge00=your!HUD, 150,00,680,1000

Change the red text to your prefered HUD, you may need to resize or fiddle withthe figures but your HUD should now show up.

The other FDE will probably be a type 1 (fixed wing jet) engine set up or an Accell FSx set up, both of those support multi engines, the default Bell type 3 engine will only support one engine and one set of switches and gauges, a known short fall of all versions of FS since day one.

Best

Michael

halvar342
September 26th, 2010, 08:38
I tried this with the HUD this morning by myself and my poor kowledge about such stuff. But i couldnt get it work after reading the manual and your post michael. So i could sure use some help still. I tried to put in the HUD from the default Hornet from Accelleration. But i had no luck with it. A problem i have i cant see even the buttons to operate the HUD which are shown in the manual. Maybe something is broken in my file.

EDIT

I used the file from the FS9 Download and added the F18 HUD now it works for me. But i still cant see the Buttons. But thats ok so far for freeware. :wiggle:

Tako_Kichi
September 26th, 2010, 09:08
Ok,

Clearly the freeware one is a different model to my supposed master !, I'll collect the freeware one, modify that and then post that FDE up.

Re top speed, the Cobra is a demon, vmax is about 175Knts if I recall correctly, but that would probably be empty or in slick mode.

Best

Michael

Addendum http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickoo/files/ALPHA_AH-1W_Super_Cobra_V1.6.zip heres a revised FDE from the exact source you guys have, I dont have a clue what Alphasim have done, the model has been stripped of 4Mb of something somewhere and spec maps have all gone, theres been some changes in there somewhere and I've no idea what they are. The freeware pilots do not toggle at all on my system ?, so I've tried something else, rather than make them work have tried to make them default to on all the time, try V1.6 and see what happens but either way I cannot replicate missing pilots with any combination of FDEs or models, most odd and just another very good reason to be away from it all ! :).
Just had a very quick test of v1.6 Michael and I now have my crew back. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to fix it. :ernae:

piperarcherpilot
September 26th, 2010, 11:11
I agree that v1.6 is the way to go. The helicopter reaches about 170KIAS with the torque at red line. From what I'm reading, thats about right. Maneuverability and stability seem pretty good.

I found some Heli HUDs here: http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?direct=FS9_Panels_and_Gauges&img=72

Michael,

The 'other' FDE pack I found on simviation just didnt feel right for a helicopter - and that is most likely because of what you pointed out - its not based on a helicopter FM, but a fixed wing. It had no real torque or 'squirreliness' of helicopters. And it floated worse than a glider. Whats strange is that with that air file and cfg from simviation, the crew and weapons were actually toggleable like it should be. Whereas the files from Alpha and you, they're either on or off...I cant find anything in the cfg files that would obviously be the cause of it. Very strange.

michael davies
September 26th, 2010, 13:56
Ok,

Glad you guys are squared away and V1.6 is better, I've no idea whats going on in there !, something has changed from the shop copy to the free copy and seems to have some adverse effects, cannot see why my FDE made the pilots go AWOL, its identical to the free copy on face value ?, nor can I understand why an engine type change would effect the crew animation, though I do know that changing the engine type in the cfg has a whole range of hidden effects on cfgs and anaimations, I never thought it effected exits ?. The FDE could do with a lot more work but thats time I cannot spare right now, truth is its probably better to throw this one away and make a new one from the Merlin FDE, one that truly supports helo turbines and multi engine usage, though that would limit it to Accel users only.

Best

Michael

polygoon
September 28th, 2010, 08:00
Hi Mike,

greatly appreciate the fixed airfile, haven't had a chance to try it out yet but am really looking forward to.
Without wanting to put you on the spot or take your kindness for granted - what would it take to fix the excessive nose-down attitude of the Alpha S-55?

Later,
Norm

michael davies
September 28th, 2010, 11:07
Hi Mike,

greatly appreciate the fixed airfile, haven't had a chance to try it out yet but am really looking forward to.
Without wanting to put you on the spot or take your kindness for granted - what would it take to fix the excessive nose-down attitude of the Alpha S-55?

Later,
Norm

Several ways around that, you can force the FDE to make it tail heavy, ie move the rotor axis ahead of the CoG, or tanks aft, then you can adjust the head on drag factor, reduce it will bring the nose up but then speed will rise so you'd need to add the drag back in somewhere else, a popular workaround is side drag or excessive side area figures to induce non nose effecting drag.

I can try and have a look over the next few days, nothing promised but I'll see if theres a simple fix from work I've done post S-55 that might help.

Kindest

Michael

Cirrus N210MS
September 28th, 2010, 11:15
cool i just checked the USA freeware area didnt see fsx AH-1W anywhere could some one hot link it please thanks

i like the AREA 51 AH-1S and AH-1Z i payed for alot of fun to fly never really was a fan of alphasims models goto be nice to have a AH-1W for fsx still do to i like the older style Cobras

too bad there is no good freeware UH-1s for fsx right now i know Euro Copter member has THE Hovercontrol Huey on his List cant wait to fly it in fsx with out all the texture probs:salute:

piperarcherpilot
September 28th, 2010, 11:33
Yep, its there - number 20 and 21 down the page here: http://www.easyfly.co.nz/Freeware/index.php?dir=/USA

The FSX version says 12.66mb on the right side.

Cirrus N210MS
September 28th, 2010, 11:38
thank you :salute: will play with it 3:00 az time after i get off work

Cirrus N210MS
September 28th, 2010, 18:50
UN4a2vUR9sc

very nice aircraft for sure :salute:

michael davies
September 29th, 2010, 03:19
Hi Mike,

Later,
Norm

Norm, try this FDE http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickoo/files/Aircraft%20S-55%20V2.2.zip for the S-55, should reduce the nose down trim for you, keep speed around 70-80knts and you'll be fine, let me know if its in the ball park for what your looking for.

BTW did they ever fix the non steering nose wheels and stuck rolling tyres ?, my master copy still has those faults and its so long ago I've forgotten if there was ever a fix.

Kindest

Michael

polygoon
September 29th, 2010, 12:36
Hi Mike, yes, that's a lot better, it flies a lot more natural now, thanks!!!:jump:

And thanks also for the Cobra fix, she doesn't float as bad now.
About the front wheels of my S-55 - they do turn on my model, so they must have fixed it at some point.

Later,
Norm

michael davies
September 29th, 2010, 12:53
Hi Mike, yes, that's a lot better, it flies a lot more natural now, thanks!!!:jump:

And thanks also for the Cobra fix, she doesn't float as bad now.
About the front wheels of my S-55 - they do turn on my model, so they must have fixed it at some point.

Later,
Norm

Good show, my pleasure.

Hmmmph , my wheels are still broke, had a quick look at the Alphasim freeware page, don't see it there, not that fussed LOL.

Kindest

Michael

polygoon
September 29th, 2010, 19:18
Hi Mike,

you have a PN...:jump:

Later,
Norm

malibu43
January 26th, 2014, 07:08
Ok,

Best

Michael

Is this FDE still available somewhere?

I started with the HoverControl version and really like that flight model. However, I downloaded the .air and .cfg files from simviation to get the weapons toggle working. However, I think the Hovercontrol flight model was better... Now I'm trying to get working weapons toggle with some sort of improved flight model.

Thanks!

Edit - Alternatively, if someone can tell me what change to make in the hovercontrol version of the .air file to enable the weapons toggle, I can try and do that myself (need to figure out how to use AAM...).

gray eagle
January 26th, 2014, 09:01
In all the previous links posted to download this freeware helo, My firefox and even exploder would not load those links at all.
But for those that share my dismay, I offer a link that does work and will provide you with this freeware helo:

Would you believe over at Hovercontrol?

http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?img=0&search=cobra&cat=all&bool=phrase
(http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?img=0&search=ah-1&cat=all&bool=phrase)

malibu43
January 26th, 2014, 09:50
Thanks. I have the hovercontrol version.

The issue is that weapons toggle doesn't work on the HC version. The .air and .cfg files available from simviation (posted earlier in this thread) have functional weapons toggle, but probably not the top notch flight model from HC.

I'm trying to figure out how to get both the functioning weps toggle and one of the reworked flight models.

gray eagle
January 27th, 2014, 13:12
Is there a setting that can be made to allow the rotor blades and engine sounds to stop (Synch) at the same time?
I noticed that the after the engine is shut down and quiet, the main rotor blades still spin a few revs.

ijay
January 28th, 2014, 12:43
Is there a setting that can be made to allow the rotor blades and engine sounds to stop (Synch) at the same time?
I noticed that the after the engine is shut down and quiet, the main rotor blades still spin a few revs.

this is in the README from Hovercontrol
"Stopping the blades turning after shutdown - a trick is to go to full throttle once you have shut down, the sim increases the virtual blade pitch which increases drag and stops the rotors turning very quickly."

gray eagle
January 28th, 2014, 13:53
this is in the README from Hovercontrol
"Stopping the blades turning after shutdown - a trick is to go to full throttle once you have shut down, the sim increases the virtual blade pitch which increases drag and stops the rotors turning very quickly."

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I have heard of this trick and have been using it for quite awhile. Just thought there was a MOI setting in the Aircraft.cfg setting that could be tweaked to
not have to resort to the other trick. Some of the other helo's preform a little better on this aspect.

BrittMac
January 28th, 2014, 18:28
Thanks for your reply. Actually, I have heard of this trick and have been using it for quite awhile. Just thought there was a MOI setting in the Aircraft.cfg setting that could be tweaked to
not have to resort to the other trick. Some of the other helo's preform a little better on this aspect.

Some are better than others, but, mostly this is just a FSX limitation. It is what it is, right?
Either way, the HC guys did a great job on the FDE.