PDA

View Full Version : The Alps, The Storch and underground runways.

monk1
November 22nd, 2008, 11:53
I'm trying to do some winter flying in the Alps with Tim's Storch. My European scenery is bone stock and it seems I have several runways in France and Switzerland in the valleys of the Alps that are below ground level. Is this something in my setup or an FS problem? Before I load up Holger's Alps mesh I was wondering if anyone knows of a flatten or some other fix for airports in this region?

Tom Clayton
November 22nd, 2008, 12:31
They may be grass runways camouflaged by your winter textures. Have a look at the airports in question with AFCAD2 and see what the runway surfaces are listed as - or post the airport ID's and someone here can do it.

monk1
November 22nd, 2008, 12:55
They may be grass runways camouflaged by your winter textures. Have a look at the airports in question with AFCAD2 and see what the runway surfaces are listed as - or post the airport ID's and someone here can do it.

These were all paved strips Tom. I started on the runway at a few of them with very odd visuals. I take off then pop up out of the ground. I haven't messed with AFCAD but that sounds like a good suggestion. I'll also get a list of a few of the offending airports.

monk1
November 22nd, 2008, 13:01
Hey Tom,
I might have confused you with the picture. That's just another shot of Tim's great Storch, it was not meant to show the issue I'm having, sorry. :banghead:

Daube
November 23rd, 2008, 01:12
As I said in another topic, together with the Mesh from Holger, you should install the swizzerland landclass nammed ebch3tot.zip. It will definitely improve the way Swiss looks :)

monk1
November 23rd, 2008, 08:50
As I said in another topic, together with the Mesh from Holger, you should install the swizzerland landclass nammed ebch3tot.zip. It will definitely improve the way Swiss looks :)

Thanks for the recommendation. Going to load it up soon! Some of the airports I'm having a problem with are:
LIMW Italy
LSTS Switzerland
LSGK Switzerland
LSGL Switzerland
LSGS Switzerland

There seem to be quite a few in this area. Holger's mesh helped somewhat. The giant hill in the middle of the runway at LSGS is still there but smaller. Is there good payware scenery for this area? UT Europe maybe?

Lionheart
November 23rd, 2008, 08:58
Monk,

Where did you get that fantastic winter cammo paint scheme? I had a model of a Storch just like that when I was a little kid. Have wanted that for Tim's Storch for ages...

We need some cool little castle ruins for in the Alps. Fictional of course, but cool to use as landmarks. Those and some cool Challet's.

Bill

Flyboy208
November 23rd, 2008, 09:47
Perhaps this will be right what you are looking for Bill, available at www.avsim.com

Screenshot is my own, taken last night.

File Description:
This is a collection of landmark objects from Switzerland, mainly historic buildings, mountain shelters, hospital and other objects. All models are build using gmax and as close to the respective originals as possible. Use these landmarks for VfR flight or just for fun. The mounting shelters can all be reached by helicopters. All objects tested with Switzerland Professional 2004 scenery only (www.flylogicsoftware.com).

Filename: jj_swiss_bits.zip
License: Freeware, limited distribution
Added: 26th July 2008
Downloads: 1789
Author: Jannik Uhlmann
Size: 24303kb

Cheers! Mike :wavey:

monk1
November 23rd, 2008, 11:11
Monk,

Where did you get that fantastic winter cammo paint scheme? I had a model of a Storch just like that when I was a little kid. Have wanted that for Tim's Storch for ages...

We need some cool little castle ruins for in the Alps. Fictional of course, but cool to use as landmarks. Those and some cool Challet's.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I just did that paint job, I wanted some winter camo for the Alps. I'm still putting some final touches on it. I'm an amateur painter at best but I can email it to ya when I'm done if you want. One drawback is the top of the fuselage and cowl aren't mapped separately from the fuselage so the spots look more like zebra stripes on top. BTW, I took the Storch to Courchevel France and it dawned on me that the Kodiak would be a perfect plane for that airport. Gonna try that next.

Excellent tip Flyboy, gonna load that up. Thanks.

-Bob

Lionheart
November 23rd, 2008, 11:44
Hey Bob,

Roger that. I would be honoured to have a copy. That is one well done cammo scheme.

FlyBoy,

Thanks for the heads up on that Swiss scenery. Off to download it.

Bill

Tom Clayton
November 23rd, 2008, 12:17
If you've got a hill in the middle of Sion, then something's definitely out of whack. Unfortunately, I've never had issues with my scenery, so I've never had any dealings with repair methods. Hopefully, someone here can offer a fix.

monk1
November 23rd, 2008, 14:41
If you've got a hill in the middle of Sion, then something's definitely out of whack. Unfortunately, I've never had issues with my scenery, so I've never had any dealings with repair methods. Hopefully, someone here can offer a fix.

Thanks for checking Tom. At least now I know the problem is on my end. I figured there were too many messed up airports for it to be FS. Think I'll try reloading Europe and see if that helps.

srgalahad
November 23rd, 2008, 21:57
If you've got a hill in the middle of Sion, then something's definitely out of whack.

Amen Tom,
During the work-up to last year's RTW Race I had to do a night descent thru the goo into Sion.. sure glad there was no hump/hill/mountain to ruin a perfectly good Bearcat. Went out the next day to see it in the sunshine.. nope.. no hill

Rob

Tom Clayton
November 24th, 2008, 07:31
I've been in love with Sion ever since FS2002 when it was used for the "Alps Approach" canned flight. I also love taking off to the west from there, hugging the deck through the point where the canyon turns north, then heading out over the lake to Geneva. It's lots of fun in a go-fast like Wozza's 'Stang!:d

monk1
November 24th, 2008, 15:32
I reloaded the FS9 European scenery and that solved my problem. Everything back to normal and looking good. Thanks for the help. :applause:

Cazzie
November 24th, 2008, 17:27
This is FSGenesis mesh, 76-meter DEM for most of Europe, 19-meter DEM for the Alps. Would it interfere or would Holgar's mesh interfere with it?

I also have GE pro correlated with Active Sky 6.5 and Ultimate Terrain - Europe.

Caz

monk1
November 24th, 2008, 18:13
This is FSGenesis mesh, 76-meter DEM for most of Europe, 19-meter DEM for the Alps. Would it interfere or would Holgar's mesh interfere with it?

I also have GE pro correlated with Active Sky 6.5 and Ultimate Terrain - Europe.

Caz

That looks great Cazzie. Holger's works well too but it creates some of the same problems I have with the Alaska mesh I'm using, some airfields wind up in trenches. I guess the more accurate mesh elevations don't always match up with the default airport altitudes. Courchevel wound up in a bit of a pit with Holger's mesh so I took it off temporarily. Any problems along those lines with FSGenesis? Or with UT Europe? Are you using the two concurrently?

Flyboy208
November 24th, 2008, 18:44
Like your Swiss Storch Cazzie, I just got done with a Swiss adventure, here are a spread of shots.

Mike :wavey:

Flyboy208
November 24th, 2008, 18:46
And the rest ...

monk1
November 24th, 2008, 18:57
Like your Swiss Storch Cazzie, I just got done with a Swiss adventure, here are a spread of shots.

Nice shots Flyboy, what scenery is that? How about that paint job?

Flyboy208
November 24th, 2008, 19:30
The paint job is the "Swiss Miss" actually a Pilatus P-3 that my Dad and I owned for several years - miss flying her,

The scenery is available at www.avsim.com for FS9 here:

File Description:
This is a collection of landmark objects from Switzerland, mainly historic buildings, mountain shelters, hospital and other objects. All models are build using gmax and as close to the respective originals as possible. Use these landmarks for VfR flight or just for fun. The mounting shelters can all be reached by helicopters. All objects tested with Switzerland Professional 2004 scenery only (www.flylogicsoftware.com).

Downloads: 1798

Here's a real pic of the "Swiss Miss"

The livery was done for me by this fine SOH member here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=10344

monk1
November 24th, 2008, 19:53
The paint job is the "Swiss Miss" actually a Pilatus P-3 that my Dad and I owned for several years - miss flying her,

The scenery is available at www.avsim.com (http://www.avsim.com) for FS9 here:

File Description:
This is a collection of landmark objects from Switzerland, mainly historic buildings, mountain shelters, hospital and other objects. All models are build using gmax and as close to the respective originals as possible. Use these landmarks for VfR flight or just for fun. The mounting shelters can all be reached by helicopters. All objects tested with Switzerland Professional 2004 scenery only (www.flylogicsoftware.com (http://www.flylogicsoftware.com)).

Downloads: 1798

Here's a real pic of the "Swiss Miss"

The livery was done for me by this fine SOH member here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=10344

Ah yes, the Swiss bits, I DL'd it, haven't loaded it yet. Beautiful Pilatus. Yeah, I bet you miss it. I would too. Is that you in your avatar in the F/A-18?

Flyboy208
November 24th, 2008, 20:19
Yes, the 2 aircraft I have the most time in are the F/A-18B and the Pilatus P-3

Here's a better pic of me in a single-seat Hornet...

monk1
November 24th, 2008, 23:16
Yes, the 2 aircraft I have the most time in are the F/A-18B and the Pilatus P-3

Here's a better pic of me in a single-seat Hornet...

Nice shot. I have a few hours in the A-7 from eons ago. Hahaha, you better be careful when you tell people you have P-3 time.

Flyboy208
November 26th, 2008, 19:21
Found another Swiss landmark, this time a Cathedral.

Cazzie
November 27th, 2008, 02:55
That looks great Cazzie. Holger's works well too but it creates some of the same problems I have with the Alaska mesh I'm using, some airfields wind up in trenches. I guess the more accurate mesh elevations don't always match up with the default airport altitudes. Courchevel wound up in a bit of a pit with Holger's mesh so I took it off temporarily. Any problems along those lines with FSGenesis? Or with UT Europe? Are you using the two concurrently?

Oy! Yes, the higher the mesh value the lower some airfields go. It even sinks Buck Hollar here in my home town. The 9.5 meter DEM mesh for FSX is even worse.

I took off out of the hole at Courchevel on this flight. :d

I am sure there is some way for us to raise the airfield level, but it is beyond me.

Caz

monk1
November 27th, 2008, 08:13
Oy! Yes, the higher the mesh value the lower some airfields go. It even sinks Buck Hollar here in my home town. The 9.5 meter DEM mesh for FSX is even worse.

I took off out of the hole at Courchevel on this flight. :d

I am sure there is some way for us to raise the airfield level, but it is beyond me.

Caz

Tom mentioned using AFCAD to adjust the runway elevations. I've never messed with it, time to get learned up I suppose.