PDA

View Full Version : A question about metal polishing.......

Navy Chief
September 22nd, 2010, 15:53
Years ago, I bought an old US Navy signal light. I finally took it to a local body shop to get it soda blasted. The light casing is mostly stainless steel, with some sections made of brass.

I don't plan on painting the casing, but rather, I want to polish it. Was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with polishing stainless steel, and make some recommendations.

Thanks.

NC

Willy
September 22nd, 2010, 17:12
My first ship the whole engineering department head next to berthing had sheet stainless covering the bulkheads all the way around. They used to put us on it with Neverdull, but I never could tell that it made any difference on that stuff other than removing fingerprints from it. Maybe a buffing wheel with jeweler's rouge would do the trick. I've used all kind of tricks to shine up engine parts down in the engine room, but to be honest stainless is usually some pretty tough stuff to deal with.

Speaking of signal lights, I read the other day that the Navy has disestablished the Signalman rating. Wonder who they've got doing the signal lights and flags now?

Navy Chief
September 22nd, 2010, 18:34
My first ship the whole engineering department head next to berthing had sheet stainless covering the bulkheads all the way around. They used to put us on it with Neverdull, but I never could tell that it made any difference on that stuff other than removing fingerprints from it. Maybe a buffing wheel with jeweler's rouge would do the trick. I've used all kind of tricks to shine up engine parts down in the engine room, but to be honest stainless is usually some pretty tough stuff to deal with.

Speaking of signal lights, I read the other day that the Navy has disestablished the Signalman rating. Wonder who they've got doing the signal lights and flags now?

I had not heard about that. Doesn't surprise me though. Saddens me, as so many traditions are ended.

deathfromafar
September 22nd, 2010, 19:15
Chief, that's a hell of a cool piece of hardware you got there! I used to polish my old stainless Smith & Wesson Revolvers with Flitz and an old toothbrush. After a lot of elbow grease they looked great. You may be able to cut corners on the time by using a Dremel & polishing pad with Flitz.

Doesn't surprise me about the demise of the Signalman rating. I heard somewhere they did away with the Radioman rating as well. One of my old high school friends got his Radioman rating at San Diego back in the mid 80's. Very technical stuff. Damn shame to see how much as been pushed into obsolescence.

Willy
September 22nd, 2010, 19:53
They combined Radioman with some others to make a new rating. Don't remember the name of it.

norab
September 22nd, 2010, 20:38
NC, find some of this

HAPPICH SIMICHROME POLISH

made overseas, best best is a body shop supplier or metal finishing product supply house. It's a little on the pricy side but it will polish just about any metal to a absolute mirror finish and will leave a protective coating besides, can be applied with a rag or a polisher but fair warning, you'll never use another brand of metal polish after you try it HTH

Navy Chief
September 22nd, 2010, 21:22
NC, find some of this

HAPPICH SIMICHROME POLISH

made overseas, best best is a body shop supplier or metal finishing product supply house. It's a little on the pricy side but it will polish just about any metal to a absolute mirror finish and will leave a protective coating besides, can be applied with a rag or a polisher but fair warning, you'll never use another brand of metal polish after you try it HTH

Found some, and ordered! Thanks!

NC

CADFather
September 24th, 2010, 04:32
Chief, take a look here, I know someone that can help.

http://weislake.com/cps/

That's my website and I do a little polishing on a variety of metals mostly aluminum and stainless steel. I'm sure we can get that looking better than new.

CAD

Navy Chief
September 24th, 2010, 04:36
Chief, take a look here I know someone that can help. http://weislake.com/cps/ That's my website and I do a little polishing on a variety of metals mostly aluminum and stainless steel. CAD

Outstanding work! I especially like the custom pegs picture.....

I appreciate your offer of help, but I really don't want to spend that much! Pete