PDA

View Full Version : This task isnīt for the faint-hearted

wiltzei
September 20th, 2010, 13:18
Letīs just say that for me personally being inside an aluminum tube filled with fuel at 40,000 feet is relatively speaking a 'little' bit more comfortable than job in the following video clip.

Video. (http://www.sol.no/klipps/video/tor_du_klage_pa_arbeidsforholdene_etter_dette)

Trans_23
September 20th, 2010, 13:28
Boy, this video is making the rounds fast. Have received it in an e-mail and posted on Facebook. I used to climb towers and poles when I was in the service. Highest I ever when on a tower was 300 ft. in Puerto Rico. It was also on the highest mountain peak in the area. That was good enough for me. I would have left fingerprints in the steel had I went up that far. :jawdrop:

hey_moe
September 20th, 2010, 13:39
WOW! Now that is something.

TARPSBird
September 20th, 2010, 13:42
I couldn't watch the whole thing. I have a hard time watching the final scene of King Kong (the most recent version) when he's on top of the Empire State Building.

n147yt
September 20th, 2010, 13:53

Cag40Navy
September 20th, 2010, 13:58
Thats nothing, really isnt.

hey_moe
September 20th, 2010, 14:05
I watched it a couple of times and noticed the only time he used the safety clip was when he stop to rest. The rest of the time he wasn't using anything.

Naismith
September 20th, 2010, 14:18
Awwwww sheesh, I forgot to pack the phillips!

Seriously, who (in their right mind) went to the careers teacher in school and asked about following that career path?

kilo delta
September 20th, 2010, 14:22
Perfect job for a base jumper...climb to the top...fix whatever needs doing and parachute back down. The winds would be pretty strong up there too, I guess.

I bet that the money is good though ;)

n4gix
September 20th, 2010, 16:01
I founded Antennas Unlimited of Gainesville back in the mid-70's. It began as a tower relamping service, but eventually expanded into a full-service commercial tower company.

The highest tower AU ever built was the 996' tower for WTLV in 1985. I only climbed it once, but that was far more than enough for me! I have always had acrophobia, and it was a real challenge for me to get past that! Fortunately, my only purpose for the climb was to do a final inspection.

By then, I had hired and trained enough tower rats to do all the real work... :icon_lol:

I've often wondered precisely what motivated me to even begin such a business!

BTW, I never allowed any of my employees to climb without using their safety harness...

Cazzie
September 20th, 2010, 16:08
Been there, done that, albeit only an 878-ft tower I had to work on.

And if you think the climb up is scary, I wish they had filmed the climb down. You have to climb and descend with the patience of Job, you strap and rest, your biceps begin to feel like stone. But the climb up is easy, the climb down is what is really scary as sh-eet! Oh, and the tower moves too, even a 5-mph breeze with give you a thrill ride like you've never seen.

Caz

Willy
September 20th, 2010, 16:10
No thank you. Horseback is about as high as I care to go.

Wing_Z
September 20th, 2010, 16:39
You'd think they'd hinge the thing at 1684 ft, so they can give it a coat of paint from the top of the elevator while they're at it...

Bushpounder
September 20th, 2010, 19:12
My damned hands are STILL sweating, and it's been 10 minutes since I watched it! NO WAY!

Don

Snuffy
September 21st, 2010, 06:38
I was wringing wet by the time he got to the top ... he didn't take long rests ... :mixedsmi:

I'd probably freeze about half way up and they'd have to pry me from the structure.

n4gix
September 21st, 2010, 08:01
After having "slept on it" overnight, I've concluded that the only purpose of that specific climb was to make the video...

I say this because quite honestly, there's really nothing to be "serviced" on the antenna itself, because it is essentially a sealed system. If there were a problem, they'd have simply removed the complete antenna assembly and lowered it to the ground.

CADFather
September 21st, 2010, 08:36
I'm an Infantry vet, I've ridden in helicopters flying nape of the earth, no biggie, been trussed up in a STABO rig beneath the helicopter, no biggie, I've repelled from them, parachuted from them, fast roped from them, jumped from airplanes, been shot at, shot at folks; I've raced motorcycles, both street and dirt, raced cars, been hang-gliding and done a whole host of things that make my mother lose sleep at night. I honestly have to say that, they do not print enough money to get me on top of one of those.

I've climbed the little towers 100' or so that my Amatuer Radio Club had for repeaters 25 years ago and while that is high enough to kill you, you wouldn't have near as long to think about it on the way down.

CAD

Bjoern
September 21st, 2010, 12:21
And I thought this one was bad...

oWVLzVhnYE0

I'd really rather climb Burj Dubai than that free-standing tower.

Although...climbing up is less than a problem than down. When climbing something high I usually don't want to come down because the view is so great from the top. :d

- Edit: A positive thing about freeclimbing: If you make a mistake, you won't have to worry about making more ever after.

mrogers
September 21st, 2010, 13:42
:jawdrop::jawdrop: I almost could not bear to watch it, but I forced myself to....I don't know how they can do it...

Panther_99FS
February 4th, 2011, 13:42
Thanks to "n4gix" to pointing this out for me :)

kilo delta
February 4th, 2011, 13:56
Back in the 90's I was doing some flight training and began to feel a little "uneasy" with heights. Not scared...just a little uncomfortable...with associated heart in mouth feelings at times. My solution?

To scare the bejaysus out of myself as regards heights and confront and defeat this "uneasiness". I went through a spate of Bungee jumping (highest was ~350ft iirc) and then parachuting.

The result....feelings of "uneasiness" gone......unfortunately so too is my financial freedom to go flying. :d

Wonder if I can overcome my fear of a p!ssed off and angry wife?!!!! :icon_lol::icon_lol::running:

Bjoern
February 5th, 2011, 11:49
Wonder if I can overcome my fear of a p!ssed off and angry wife?!!!! :icon_lol::icon_lol::running:

Make a contract that precisely defines who gets what and then get a divorce. Problem solved, freedom gained.