PDA

View Full Version : How to repair a FSX default aircraft installation?

Navy Chief
September 12th, 2010, 03:57
I was adding some repaints to the default C172 last night, and managed to screw things up. Not sure what went wrong, but I get errors in the aircraft selection process, and am not able to select the C172 now.

Is there a way to use the FSX discs to reinstall that aircraft, WITHOUT messing up the rest of my FSX?

Thanks.

NC

Aviator32
September 12th, 2010, 04:02
Are you sure the [fltsim.0], [fltsim.1], [fltsim.2] etc numbers are sequential and make sense in the aircraft.cfg? I can pm you a copy of mine if it helps.

Navy Chief
September 12th, 2010, 04:10
Are you sure the [fltsim.0], [fltsim.1], [fltsim.2] etc numbers are sequential and make sense in the aircraft.cfg? I can pm you a copy of mine if it helps.

Yes, that is the first thing I checked. The problem isn't there!

ZEUS67
September 12th, 2010, 06:54
From the SDK:

Any errors made in creating or editing the aircraft.cfg file will show up, along with the following error messages, while an aircraft is being loaded. The error messages are listed in order; that is, the first error message represents an error early in the aircraft-loading process.

<table class="T1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="4"> <tbody> <tr> <td align="undefined" valign="undefined">Error Message</td> <td align="undefined" valign="undefined">Description</td></tr> <tr> <td align="undefined" valign="undefined">Aircraft initialization failure. </td> <td align="undefined" valign="undefined">Indicates that some essential files are missing from the aircraft container. If the files are missing, the aircraft will not usually be displayed in the Select Aircraft dialog box; as a result, this error is rare.</td></tr> <tr> <td align="undefined" valign="undefined">Failed to start up the flight model.</td> <td align="undefined" valign="undefined">The .air file was not loaded successfully.</td></tr> <tr> <td align="undefined" valign="undefined">This is not a Flight Simulator aircraft model. </td> <td align="undefined" valign="undefined">The visual model (.mdl) file for this aircraft is not compatible with Flight Simulator </td></tr> <tr> <td align="undefined" valign="undefined">Visual model could not be displayed. </td> <td align="undefined" valign="undefined">An error occurred while loading the visual model (.mdl) file.</td></tr></tbody></table>

falcon409
September 12th, 2010, 06:58
Yes, that is the first thing I checked. The problem isn't there!
Hey Pete, can you post the top section of the aircraft.cfg file? Just the section that contains the information for the liveries.

Navy Chief
September 12th, 2010, 07:33
Hey Pete, can you post the top section of the aircraft.cfg file? Just the section that contains the information for the liveries.

This is most of it. I guess the only way to post is a snapshot of it?

Pete

falcon409
September 12th, 2010, 08:42
Pete, can you see the various repaints you added in the Aircraft Selection window? If you can, when you select one, what error message are you getting?

Snave
September 12th, 2010, 09:11
I was adding some repaints to the default C172 last night, and managed to screw things up. Not sure what went wrong, but I get errors in the aircraft selection process, and am not able to select the C172 now.

Is there a way to use the FSX discs to reinstall that aircraft, WITHOUT messing up the rest of my FSX?

Thanks.

NC

You cannot extract individual elements. but you CAN temporarily rename your FSX folder, then install FSX again, then change it'a name to FSX Vanilla Install or what have you, then just copy over what you need, then finally rename the FSX folder back to its' original name.

ALWAYS keep a `vanilla` copy of FSX backed up on a spare drive if you have the space!

Navy Chief
September 12th, 2010, 09:24
Pete, can you see the various repaints you added in the Aircraft Selection window? If you can, when you select one, what error message are you getting?

This what I see. All the paints do show up on the Selection screen. But this error pops up each time. The wording changes, depending on the paint chosen.

If I am unable to do this without jumping through hoops, I won't bother with it. I don't even like flying the C172. I only needed it for the online navigation lessons I am taking. And other will aircraft will do just fine, i.e. the Mooney Bravo. But if you think there's an easy fix, then sure!!!

I am out taking an old Schwinn 10 speed apart that my sister gave me. I plan to take it to a body shop to get the frame soda blasted. I will check back in a bit!

Pete

Bjoern
September 12th, 2010, 09:52
Check the "sim=" lines for errors. They need to read the name of the .air file (minus the file extension).

ALWAYS keep a `vanilla` copy of FSX backed up on a spare drive if you have the space!

Or sacrifice two DVDs, zip the folders up and burn 'em.

ananda
September 12th, 2010, 13:45
You are missing Cessna172SP.air