PDA

View Full Version : How well does FS9 and any add-ons work in Win 7 32 bit?

ibl19108
September 9th, 2010, 08:41
Hello fellow flight simmers. I am asking this because I have installed Win7/64 pro with XP pro VM. Even with all the security BS turned off Win 7/64 will not let me install many of my programs in either Win 7 or XP pro VM. XP pro VM is stuck in 16 bit and will not allow any 32 bit programs to install. I have since learned that this is a common and seemingly unsolveable problem. And yes my MB and CPU VM capable. This is necessary if you are using a virtual machine/mode. Any suggestions anyone. I have purchased Win 7 pro/32 with the intention of reformatting. I also have a OEM version of XP Pro with all SPs to be placed on a second HD.

Thanks

Derek

edmoore235
September 9th, 2010, 08:56
Greetings, have two machines with Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) - have had almost NO problem installing Fight Simulator addons, a few very old 16 bit installers do not work. Does not seem to be a problem with me so far. Smile. Take care.

Ed

rohan
September 9th, 2010, 09:25
... Win 7/64 will not let me install many of my programs in either Win 7 or XP pro VM ...

Derek,
what do you mean when you say Windows will not let you install programs ?

One of the "security" features of Win7 is the UAC which monitors changes to the two "program files" folders on the system drive. Most problems running FS9 or editting FS9 config files are caused by having installed FS9 into one of those two folders. If you install it into a separate folder of its own, then the UAC will be much less concerned about how and when changes to files occur. An example would be to use C:\ACOF (or even something like D:\FS9 if you have a second drive).

It's possible I've misunderstood your problem and this won't help, but in that case, you need to clarify what you mean by "won't let you",
Ro

rich12545
September 9th, 2010, 14:18
UAC should be disabled imo. That was the first thing I did after installing win7.

ibl19108
September 9th, 2010, 15:53
Thanks guys. Big ?. UAC. Where/how do I find/locate it and disable it. That maybe part of my problem. I kindda get a little T/O'd with these scurity window pop ups "popping up' all the time whenever I try to do something.

Derek

PilatusTurbo
September 9th, 2010, 15:54
Yeah, UAC is beyond stupid. I disabled it, too. Other than that, and maybe a minor issue or two, I've had no issues with Win 7 64 Bit Pro Edition and FS2004. Win7 is the best OS I've seen in a long time, and I've even played with Ubuntu, and I still say it's the best gaming and multitask OS out there. Long live Win7... Vista can burn in... :ernae: LOL

To change UAC: Start, Control Panel, Click User Accounts. Find in this window, Change User Account Control settings. There should be a vertical slider. All the way to the bottom and you'll be good from now on.