PDA

View Full Version : This may look like a night fighter...

ndicki
September 3rd, 2010, 12:04
But it isn't one.

It's actually a Bf109g-5 of the High Altitude Wing Jagdgruppe 25, which flew from Gardelegen from August to December 1943 - quite a short-lived and frankly unsuccessful career; the Gruppe's primary objective was the interception of high flying RAF Mosquitoes...

Its CO was Major Herbert Ihlefeld, who had been awarded the Knight's Cross with Swords and Oakleaves to mark his 101st kill while he was serving with JG 77. He survived the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Ihlefeld

HouseHobbit
September 3rd, 2010, 13:03
WOW.. I like this..
It is spotted, Looks great..:salute: "A grey Leopard"

Can I get one in, "well you know"..:icon_lol:

Led Zeppelin
September 4th, 2010, 00:48
Another unusual 109!! I'll try to intercept a high altitude Mossie performing a daylight recon mission.

Thanks.

Led Zeppelin
September 4th, 2010, 23:57
I've got a question regarding 109 AvH Flight Model V4.

I suffer a lot of oscillations in the pitch direction, it seems that the aircraft always want to return to it's initial position, I don't know how this phenomenon is called (pitch damping?).

Many of my shots miss their target due to this characteristic, the percentage of successful hits is abysmal! :icon_lol:

On the Emil it's rather limited but on G and K series, it's very important. In fact, I've never flew a fighter that behave like this in CFS3.

There is no pitch damping with AvH Flight Model V2 or with Mudpond Flight Model.

Can anybody explain were does it come from? What has been changed in the FM to obtain this chractaristic? How does the real 109 is?

I'm curious about this point as this characteristic is really specific to the 109.

ndicki
September 5th, 2010, 02:25
I think it's called "Moment of Inertia" and it's linked to the same phenomenon as gyro inertia - but I'll let others explain quite what it does and why...

popsaka
September 6th, 2010, 15:31
Got any info on whether er not or which marks did or didn't have them ammo nasel bumps... iffin that wuz er wuzn't wot they were or weren't??:p:

Luv the way that camo came out, BTW!!

ndicki
September 6th, 2010, 22:35
Hi Pops!

OK, the initial G series 109s had the same armament as the F-4, namely one central MG151/20, and two cowl-mounted 7.62mm MG17s. That was inadequate, so on the G-5 (pressurised) and G-6 (unpressurised) the MG17s were swopped for two MG131/13 13mm HMGs. Think .50 cal M2 Browning style. These were of course bigger and the breech-feed mechanism didn't fit under the existing cowling, hence the round bulges. These bulges were standard on all DB605A engined G-5,6 and 14 aircraft. However, the introduction of the high altitude DB605AS on the G-5/AS, G-6/AS and G-14/AS brought in a new cowling design, essentially similar to the one used on the G-10 and K-4. There are lots of little details I've missed out, such as bulges under the cowling for the MW-50 lines if MW-50 was fitted, and so on and so forth... But in any case, if it has circular cowl bulges, it's a G-5, G-6 or G-14 with the standard DB605A engine. Basically, the G-6 became the G-14 anyway - it's an evolution rather than a sudden new model.

Telling the difference between AS, G-10 and K-4 aircraft is a bit more challenging, and very often, even the profile books get it wrong...