PDA

View Full Version : MR Marianas Pack b-3

MaskRider
September 3rd, 2010, 03:28
Ok, just finished pulling together and zipping up mr_marianas_b-3.zip!

I will attach the readme and the zip to this post.

One small note: while updating the credits and thank yous I found a boo-boo that I made over in the Iwo Jima thread. I mistakenly attributed the dark sand shoreline texture that I used for the new Iwo Jima to Fibber instead of to where credit is due- dvslats. Sorry Dave!

This is the latest update to the MR Marianas, Volcano and Bonin Island Project. Guess I should really call it the Jean Bomber Guam to Chicchi Jima mesh project since in a way that is what it is: an effort to make full use the custom LOD9 mesh that JP generously supplied for the project. This update includes everything in mr_marianas_b-2a.zip plus a whole lot more. What this update accomplishes is it fills in all of the peripheral scenery and "stuff" that is also covered by JP's mesh so that I can go back to concentrating on the main focus of this effort- the B-29 airfields in the Mariana Islands- and Iwo Jima. This update contains a nice new rendition of Iwo Jima based on the way it looked just before the American landing and occupation. Also included are what turned out to be very nice facilities at Haha Jima and Chichi Jima. Susaki Airfield and Futami Harbor at Chichi Jima and Oki Harbor at Haha Jima. Oki Harbor has no land runway but it does have plenty of water start points. Also included is a nice rework of Pagan Island and the airfield located there. Many thanks to all who lent a hand. Remember that this is a beta version- I expect some critical feedback- please. Thanks!

Grettir
September 3rd, 2010, 04:33
S! Thanks
Now i know, what im doing this weekend. :jump:

I have started to do a strange thing with CFS2.
I install, throw every thing stock ( that can be) out and install all the great
addons and what not. That being done and its running good, i fly a few miles
and uninstall it. Then start again....... Done this 40-50 times this year.

Strange behavior indeed.

Some of my friends drop their lower jaw, sometimes, when they see how awesome
the addons and scenery make CFS2 look and feel.
All this would not be possible, where it not for your and others, selfless work.
To me CFS2 is a fix and i need it!

S!
Skuggi

MaskRider
September 3rd, 2010, 06:41
BTW after 6 downloads, I noticed myself that I had made a minor but potentially pesky error in the numbered installation instructions in the readme.

At one point when explaining how to add the gsl files I had initially written to "repeat steps 7 thru 8" for each of the additional gsl files. Well after I wrote that I had inserted some additional numbered install steps and failed to take note of the fact that steps 7 thru 8 no longer had anything to do with installing the gsl files. So I fixed it and re-uploaded the zip and the readme.

Ghostrider
September 3rd, 2010, 08:38
Beautiful stuff Chris! I look forward to getting it installed and flying around!

Devildog73
September 3rd, 2010, 12:48
Me too MR! Thanks!
When I get some time, it is going into my two PTO installs.

kdriver
September 3rd, 2010, 13:10
Thankyou once again Maskrider,

Your scenery just gets better - Iwo Jima is especially realistic - a very stark landscape. Jean Bomber's rocky shorelines also add to the realism.

However, I am getting the old coastline showing with Iwo Jima, Chichi Jima and Pagan. Guam, Tinian and Saipan are OK. Any ideas what may be causing this? I tried deactivating the various Rhumba watermasks, coast and water files to no avail.

Kevin

Skipsan
September 3rd, 2010, 15:30
Thank's Chris :salute: Shes up loaded now all I have to do is sort out my files in stall her and fly my trouser's of :jump:

But first thing's first off to [B]"Oh Canada!" for 10 day's of fishing and a sound fest of P&W radials droning though the skies of "Oh Canada!" :ernae: :bump::ernae:
Sincerely

Skipsan:kilroy:

MaskRider
September 3rd, 2010, 16:59
However, I am getting the old coastline showing with Iwo Jima, Chichi Jima and Pagan. Guam, Tinian and Saipan are OK. Any ideas what may be causing this? I tried deactivating the various Rhumba watermasks, coast and water files to no avail.

Kevin

Good catch, Kevin. Yep, my bad. Check your PMs.

I would never have caught this on my own. I don't have any shorelines loaded in that part of the world so I would never have noticed!

BTW, to everyone, don't forget to use the advanced go to start options. Other than flying to Oki Harbor, Haha Jima the only way to be there is to use an FB- preferably one that will start in water- and use the advanced goto menu to pick a start point.

Thanks,
MR

Pips
September 3rd, 2010, 19:40
just a quick question MR. Do I install the b.3 zip over the old b.2? Or delete b.2 before installing b.3?

Cheers :)

MaskRider
September 3rd, 2010, 22:08
Do I install the b.3 zip over the old b.2? Or delete b.2 before installing b.3?

Hi Pips,

Yes, just drag and drop as described. The only thing that needs to be deleted is the original mesh bgl from mr_marianas_b-2a as described in the readme. It will not get overwritten otherwise because it doesn't exist in the new mr_marianas_b-3.

BTW, after the heads up from kevin about the stock or whatever shorelines still being there, I realized that I had neglected from day one to make routine g2k style excludes for the roads, shorelines, rivers. etc in the far northern Marianas, Volcanos and Bonins. Since I don't have shoreleines present in this area myself, except for what I make, excluding them just totally slipped my mind- at least that's my excuse.

Anyway, the missing excludes are now made.

Also, after viewing Pagan Island- the screen shot Kevin posted was of Pagan Island- I realized that I had also not done a routine tweak of the shorelines there to make sure that they fit the mesh a little tighter then they normally do on the first go round. So, I spent a little time this evening tweaking those.

So, mr_marianas_b-3 is soon to become mr_marianas_b-3a. I will wait another day or so to let things shake out a bit more, and then I will post a mr_marianas_b-3a with the needed revisions.

Find the updated excludes and Pagan Island shorelines attached below. Toss the 3 excludes into the main CFS2/SCENERY folder. Toss the 3 Pagan shoreline bgls into the MR Marianas\scenery folder- when asked to over write click "yes".:

dvslats
September 3rd, 2010, 23:45
One small note: while updating the credits and thank yous I found a boo-boo that I made over in the Iwo Jima thread. I mistakenly attributed the dark sand shoreline texture that I used for the new Iwo Jima to Fibber instead of to where credit is due- dvslats. Sorry Dave!
Hey...no sweat Chris, guess I'll have to call off that hit I had contracted, we all make those occasional typos. ;) play theme music from Godfather here...

Sorry, I couldn't resist :-D...we cool...

Oh yeah,the scenery.
I just got mine. Going to go take her for a cruise shortly and looking forward to it. :ernae:
Dave

kdriver
September 4th, 2010, 02:17
All fixed now Chris!

Your new exclude files did the trick.

One little sandbar off Chichi Jima but looking great nevertheless.

I had LOD9 mesh for Japan activated and did not realise it extended as far south as Iwo Jima. Mt Suribachi was half in the water. I deactivated it and that fixed the problem.

Kevin

MaskRider
September 4th, 2010, 02:37
Hiya, Kevin,

It looks as thought there is still some excess scenery lurking in the background there at Chichi Jima. That cliff on the left hand side of your screenie is definitely not part of the LOD9 mesh supplied with mr_marianas_b-3 pack. It should be looking like this:
I'd be interested to know what it is. You might want to check in your CFS2\MR Marianas\scenery folder and make sure that Guam_to_chichi_Jima _lod9.bgl is the only mesh bgl present. Make sure that Guam_to_Iwo_Jima _lod9.bgl isn't also there.

Thanks for keeping me posted!

That is odd about the little sand bar.http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

kelticheart
September 4th, 2010, 04:58
Ok, just finished pulling together and zipping up mr_marianas_b-3.zip!........

Lord Aimighty! :jawdrop:

I just finished my house cleaning to install MR_Marianas_b-2 and now b-3 is here!!!

Thank you, MR! Just let me ask you a quick question: in your instructions I didn't see any mention to possible conflicts with your older production. It's not a criticism, you only spoiled us in the past by putting that extra piece of info in your instructions!
I just want to know which of your older sceneries may create a problem with this new GSL Marianas pack, since I noticed that the Rota airfied bgl exhists also in your old Micronesia pack.

Even if your older production is not GSL, your blended sceneries still look so good in my PTO that I haven't uninstalled any of them, only the ones replaced by your new GSL-ised airfields. Thanks to your very bright idea of creating bgls for each airfield, it will be very easy de-activating the conflicting oldies. :wavey:

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

kdriver
September 4th, 2010, 07:15
Hiya, Kevin,

It looks as thought there is still some excess scenery lurking in the background there at Chichi Jima. That cliff on the left hand side of your screenie is definitely not part of the LOD9 mesh supplied with mr_marianas_b-3 pack.http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

I found the culprit Chris. It's the CFS2 Pacific Coast scenery layer made by Richard Ludowise a number of years ago. Do you know if that scenery is still required if you have his latest mesh? I have his watermask package but don't activate it because of the inundation of a number of airfields as well as the loss of shorelines, rivers and roads.

Just one more thing - Iwo Jima No 1 field is sitting on a plateau about a 100 ft above the surrounding terrain. Should this be the case or have I got some other conflicting scenery?

Thanks a lot,

Kevin

MaskRider
September 4th, 2010, 12:31
Hiya Guys,

Thanks for the good feedback, guys. Much appreciated!

since I noticed that the Rota airfied bgl exhists also in your old Micronesia pack.

That is a good idea about Rota, KH. Don't know why I didn't point out that conflict as I did with Iwo but I will.

I found the culprit Chris. It's the CFS2 Pacific Coast scenery layer made by Richard Ludowise a number of years ago. Do you know if that scenery is still required if you have his latest mesh? I have his watermask package but don't activate it because of the inundation of a number of airfields as well as the loss of shorelines, rivers and roads.

Yeah, I kinda figured it was one of those flatten packs.

No, I am sure that it is not required- just the opposite in fact. The outline of Richard's new LOD8 mesh for the area matches up with the LOD9 mesh supplied by JP. It just isn't as robust.

Which reminds me of something else I have been thinking. Even though the readme says that the mesh supplied in this pack will over ride Richard's, and I am 99 positive that it does, I think it might still be a good idea to deactivate Richard's anyway. Would appreciate feedback from some one with definitive knowledge about this.

Just one more thing - Iwo Jima No 1 field is sitting on a plateau about a 100 ft above the surrounding terrain. Should this be the case or have I got some other conflicting scenery?

Nope, no conflict. That is the way it looks. Those a16 Flattens are very aggressive around the edges!:)

Once again, thanks you for the feedback, guys.

BTW, I noticed a small problem with Chichi Jima last night that nobody has picked up on yet. If you fly in from the NW it is pretty noticeable- was to me anyway!:)

Cheers,
Chris

MaskRider
September 4th, 2010, 20:43
BTW, I noticed a small problem with Chichi Jima last night that nobody has picked up on yet. If you fly in from the NW it is pretty noticeable- was to me anyway!:)

FYI, it is a missing LC assignment on one of the lesser Osagawara Islands just NW of the entrance to Futami Harbor, Chichi Jima Island. Here is a new LC bgl that fixes it.

Toss just the lc_ogasawara.bgl into the ol' MR Marianas\scenery folder and click yes when ask if you wish to over write.

Cheers,
MR

kdriver
September 5th, 2010, 00:19
I noticed it but didn't want to mention it in case I sounded too critical. I thought perhaps it was supposed to be an old lava flow.:icon_lol:

MaskRider
September 5th, 2010, 01:21
Hehe. Aaahh yesss, the old lava flow masquerading as an LC assignment ploy!

As Sherlock Holmes once said to Watson after Watson told Holmes that he, Watson, had come to the same conclusion about a case as Holmes had come to- only much earlier:

"It was good of you to have the tact not to mention it old fellow!":icon_lol:

dvslats
September 5th, 2010, 03:41
Hi All,
Well I think I've covered 80% of this new area and all seems fine. This is with the previously posted updates in a Ludowise mesh environment per Rami's installation guide.

Just one item is in the beach area south of Aslito/Fadang. There's some leftover gsl objects in this location. I now this area is still a WIP...just thought I'd let you know Chris.
Of course there is always the possibility I may have goofed somewhere along the install.

Dave

MaskRider
September 5th, 2010, 04:10
Not a problem Dave, you haven't goofed anything up.

Thanks for giving it a good shake down.

Yep, those leftover scenery objects from Aslito won't disappear until we refill that GOB with some new objects from the soon to be happening Isley. Isley/Aslito is a 2 gob airfield. It shares one of those gobs with North Field, Tinian. So when we load up the North Field, Tinian GSL, one gobs worth of Aslito scenery objects disappear. But the other gob's objects linger on.

This is another one of those little issues that I never notice myself because when I am building this scenery I am always building in an "empty.gsl". The only reason I have the explanation at my fingertips, is because the first time I loaded the 2 Isley scenery layouts to the GSL- using Martin Wright's GSLEdit tool- everything over at North Field, Tinian disappeared on me. This situation is a perfect example of how useful and important Lindsay "Leroy10" Watt's doping out of the MB GSL Editor was. With it, I can easily reload the North Field Tinian layout to the GOB it shares with Isley (or vice versa), and nothing at Isley gets lost.

Dangling scenery objects reminds me of something that KH brought up. Unless we deactivate the old MR_Rota_Island.bgl found inside the MR Micronesia/scenery folder, the API Macro objects from that scenery will be scattered around the runway at this new Rota.

I will be adding this reminder note to the final Readme, but thought I would mention now now as I am sure it must be happening to others too, beside KH. It happened to me today when I had my MR Micronesia activated and started an FF from Rota.

Regards,
Chris

alpha_1
September 5th, 2010, 04:58
Hi all! Maskrider, a question if you don't mind.

I've been following your new scenery with avid interest and watering mouth.....You're the goto guy for Pacific Scenery......I'm running a dual core 1600mgz Intel with 2gig RAM, NVidea GeForce 8600 GT with 512 mb RAM. I've got my installs maxed out in settings and at this point everything is tickity-boo. My question is, do I have the power and the speed to use your new scenery without hurting my frame rates too much?

Only a 'yes' answer will do, lol. Seriously though, installing your new stuff will take some extra effort and patience (well worth while I see) so if I can get a heads-up first, it may save me a lot of grief later. I've got the Pactex installed on all my PTO installs but have so far shied away from the other masks, etc. God knows I had a heck of a time getting my HI scenery (PHP2) to work right when I installed it......took a few tries flyin' by the seat of my pants but looks fabulous now!

Any help you can give me on this will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Rami
September 5th, 2010, 09:31
Chris,

Your work is outstanding as always. And nice job to all of you providing feedback! :wavey:

MaskRider
September 5th, 2010, 12:49
Hi all! Maskrider, a question if you don't mind.

I've been following your new scenery with avid interest and watering mouth.....You're the goto guy for Pacific Scenery......I'm running a dual core 1600mgz Intel with 2gig RAM, NVidea GeForce 8600 GT with 512 mb RAM. I've got my installs maxed out in settings and at this point everything is tickity-boo. My question is, do I have the power and the speed to use your new scenery without hurting my frame rates too much?

Only a 'yes' answer will do, lol. Seriously though, installing your new stuff will take some extra effort and patience (well worth while I see) so if I can get a heads-up first, it may save me a lot of grief later. I've got the Pactex installed on all my PTO installs but have so far shied away from the other masks, etc. God knows I had a heck of a time getting my HI scenery (PHP2) to work right when I installed it......took a few tries flyin' by the seat of my pants but looks fabulous now!

Any help you can give me on this will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Hiya Alpha,

I have been away from the old computer for the last few hours and will be so again for the upcoming hours. Yours is a good question and deserves a thoughtful answer. I will try to give one here in the brief time I have.

Bottom line Alpha is that some of the scenery layouts at these newer fields I am sure do not inspire the really experienced and serious mission and campaign designers to want to use them in their work because of frame rate issues. I don't know, but I am guessing it is so. Can't remember the last time I got a request to include these newer fields in a campaign release.

You are running a somewhat more robust rig than I am. An these fields run fine for me. But I am pretty much just a FF sort of simmer with the occasional test mission and QC thrown in.

Also, as you can see from this thread, there are so many pesky little issues that come up that sort of make this newer stuff appear to be, because it is, much too complicated/troublesome to include in a campaign release. Campaign developers have enough on their plate, feedback wise, without having to deal with add on scenery issues, too!

Hope this gives you some sort of answer to your question.

Meanwhile, please, any of you mission and campaign gurus please feel free to jump in here and respond.

MR

alpha_1
September 5th, 2010, 14:22
Thanks Maskrider.....I'm gonna do it!.....I swear!......I'm gonna take the plunge! I'm gonna try some of this beautiful eye candy. Thanks for the feedback and the info, MR

Cheers!:jump:

kdriver
September 6th, 2010, 00:41
Hi Alpha_1 & Maskrider,

I've been putting Iwo Jima through the hoops with David Copley's "Lightning Strike - Iwo Jima" and Tom Sanford's "Reduction of Iwo Jima". The scenery passed with flying colours.

My computer is 7 years old and an upgrade is overdue. It's a Dell single 2.25 GHz processor with 2 GB RAM and a low end ATI AGP card with 256 MB.

The frame rates were good, even though the action was fast and furious with aeroplanes all over the sky and ships firing and being blown up. As these missions were written close to a decade ago, scenery objects on the island were all supplied within the mission. With Chris's new scenery many of these could be deleted, thus improving frame rates.

Kevin

PS - Sorry Chris I can see a couple of small bays with sloping water in front of the P-38.:icon_lol:

MaskRider
September 6th, 2010, 01:15
Hi Alpha_1 & Maskrider,

I've been putting Iwo Jima through the hoops with David Copley's "Lightning Strike - Iwo Jima" and Tom Sanford's "Reduction of Iwo Jima". The scenery passed with flying colours.

My computer is 7 years old and an upgrade is overdue. It's a Dell single 2.25 GHz processor with 2 GB RAM and a low end ATI AGP card with 256 MB.

The frame rates were good, even though the action was fast and furious with aeroplanes all over the sky and ships firing and being blown up. As these missions were written close to a decade ago, scenery objects on the island were all supplied within the mission. With Chris's new scenery many of these could be deleted, thus improving frame rates.

Kevin

PS - Sorry Chris I can see a couple of small bays with sloping water in front of the P-38.:icon_lol:

Hiya Kevin!

Hehe. Thanks for the heads up! I'll do a fly by tomorrow and see if remedial action is required!

I appreciate your doing such a thorough job and giving the scenery an intense shakedown. It may not look it, but that version of Iwo has buku scenery objects.

Your system is very comparable to mine, BTW.

Until later and thanks for the time and diligence!

MR

alpha_1
September 6th, 2010, 06:11
Thanks for the encouragement, KDriver. I've just got to finish off a couple of 'almost done' installs, clean 'em up then will do another PTO install with MR's new scenery.

Some of MR's screenies, and those posted by you other guys are fabulous!

Cheers!

MaskRider
September 10th, 2010, 03:16
Hi Guys,

Quick update: Work is progressing smartly on Saipan. Isley, Kagman and Kobler are all "drawn" and the scenery object layouts finished- except for adding a few trees here and there. Marpi Point is next up. Then the two harbor facilities around Tanapag Harbor and Charan Kanoa. Then the roads using G2K.

Find screenies here at my "Work In Progress Album" (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/album.php?albumid=297)

Cheers,
MR

kelticheart
September 17th, 2010, 06:04
Hi MR,

I finally found the time to install your new Marianas b-3 and I found problems I hadn't seen in a while on my pc. They used to happen with SdC's ETO sceneries and it was a problem of not understanding yet how the Scenery Lib works. Since then, I learned several things and this relly caught me with my pants down!

I worked all morning to figure it out, but no cigar.

Providing I did not install anything of your previous b-1 and b-2, but started a complete new install with b-3, see below what I got. Iwo Jima looks ok, but then I did not test any other area, see how Guam looks on my pc....

kelticheart
September 17th, 2010, 06:19
...Chichi Jima! :crybaby:

:barf:

Before Chichi, there are shots of my Scenery Lib hierarchy. Guam shots were taken with FS9 PTO textures converted for CFS2 by Stiz, Chichi shots with PacTex v.2 and I just dug out from my backups PacTex v.1 to do another test run.

As you can see, I have all of Rhumba's new LOD7 & 8 mesh and watermasks installed with the stock shorelines, rivers and roads disactivated. It looks as if there are texture files missing.

I had separate theatres, here I am using PTO textures ONLY, since I keep the \scenedb\world\texture folder clean of ETO textures (that is, for ex., just PacTex and Jimko's Pacific Blues water textures to be more precise). It means the folder has only texture files extracted from the addon packs and no stock textures, but I never had a problem before.

Not only, my pc is really showing its age with these sceneries, since I am not getting more than 15-23 fps.

What do you think?

Thank you for your help!

PS.: To see Guam shots, please look at my post on page 2 as well.

rohan
September 17th, 2010, 06:33
KH,
I'm by no means any kind of scenery expert, and I've not done a lot of scenery installation, but I do recall a trick that became necessary to make my first ETO install look right last year. Does it make any difference if you copy your textures from the \scenedb\world\texture folder to the main texture folder at the CFS2 root level ?
Hope it does help,
regards,
Ro
:ernae:

kelticheart
September 17th, 2010, 06:43
KH,
I'm by no means any kind of scenery expert, and I've not done a lot of scenery installation, but I do recall a trick that became necessary to make my first ETO install look right last year. Does it make any difference if you copy your textures from the \scenedb\world\texture folder to the main texture folder at the CFS2 root level ?
Hope it does help,
regards,
Ro
:ernae:

Thank you Rohan,

but that was done in my CFS2 a few years ago. Both MR's early non-GSL sceneries and all of SdC's ETO sceneries required a copy of all \scenedb\world\texture stock files in the root CFS2\texture folder.

Cheers!

kdriver
September 17th, 2010, 07:16
Hi KH,

Looking at your scenery layer hierarchy, it appears you have separated MR's Marianas scenery into three layers: Marianas GSL, Iwo Jima GSL and LOD 9 mesh. These should all be in the one folder. The excludes and watermasks (the ones with "wm" in their nomenclature) go into the main SCENERY folder.

In theory, what you have done should work, but the excludes and watermasks in the wrong folder could throw a spanner in the works.

While I'm here I would like to thank you for all the lovely propeller and exhaust effects you have done over the years - I use them all - much appreciated.

Kevin

MaskRider
September 17th, 2010, 07:18
Hehe! Hi KH!

Well, this is another fine mess you've gotten me into!:icon_lol:

Hmmmm.... I am not quite sure just what is going on here.

Do you have all of your video performance sliders maxed out?

I will have to think on this a bit and look at your screenies more closely.

Also, just for grins, deactivate those 3 mesh/masks pack below the MR-JB LOD 9 mesh.

MR

Oh yes, and what Kevin said may have some bearing on it, too. I'm just not sure at the moment.

What I can tell you is it will turn out to be something really simple. So, take heart!

dvslats
September 17th, 2010, 11:34
Hi KH,
A possible solution....try deactivating the flattens you have made for the PTO area.
A while back I made one for Salamaua and it had the same effect on Maskrider's PNG Finschhafen.

I'm not sure why, but these flattens in the scenery.cfg and G2k created addons do not get along in CFS2.

Dave

Jean Bomber
September 17th, 2010, 11:47
Hi all !

KH looking the pics I think that a texture bmp is missing somewhere ,perhaps a vtp1 line like a road or shoreline (missing they alter anywhere they had been drawed,it's why I suspect a road),check all the texture bmps needed for the scenery and if they are placed in their right places http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon12.gif.

JP

MaskRider
September 17th, 2010, 13:08
Hi JP,

Yes, you are probably right. I have a sneaking suspicion that the missing texture(s) is one or more of the 5 files listed below. In the install notes I instructed them to be loaded into the main CFS2 texture folder. Was I wrong?
Loading them to the MR_Marianas/texture folder should work, too, right?

KH,

Ideally you should have the 6 files listed in your main CFS2 Texture folder. Less ideally but still workable they can be placed in your MR_Marianas/texture folder:

I bet if you went to Iwo Jima you might also find the same problem- and at Tinian and at Haha Jima, too. :icon_lol:

Sorry for the mix up.

MR

kelticheart
September 17th, 2010, 14:53
Hi JP,

Yes, you are probably right. I have a sneaking suspicion that the missing texture(s) is one or more of the 5 files listed below. In the install notes I instructed them to be loaded into the main CFS2 texture folder. Was I wrong?
Loading them to the MR_Marianas/texture folder should work, too, right?

KH,

Ideally you should have the 5 files listed in your main CFS2 Texture folder. Less ideally but still workable they can be placed in your MR_Marianas/texture folder:

I bet if you went to Iwo Jima you might also find the same problem- and at Tinian and at Haha Jima, too. :icon_lol:

Sorry for the mix up.

MR

Hi MR,

I am sorry to pour a cold shower here, but those textures are, per your instructions, in the right place, that is CFS2 root \texture folder.

No need to be sorry, if it works on your pc and many others, there is something I must have done wrong here, which bothers me a lot, since I am no rookie at installing sceneries and I have done my share of dogfights with CFS2 temperamental attitude when it comes to addons.
I am sorry to report, you probably missed it, that Iwo Jima looks fine! We are crossing into the Twilight Zone here!

I share Jean's thoughts about a missing texture file somewhere, the resulting empty squares are the exact consequence of that.
Could it be a stock VTP1 road/river/shoreline file?

After I installed all of Rhumba's mesh and watermasks I followed his instructions to remove them from \scenedb\world\scenery. He provides a list of the files which can't work with his watermasks anymore in his packs, stock VTP1 filenames end with a p, so I moved all *p.bgls to a backup folder.

I can put them back in (if I knew how to distinguish them I would put back just the Solomon area) but this will double shorelines as stock CFS2 ones are in the wrong place and it doesn't match with MR's setup. MR, you stated above you have removed yours as well, right?

Dvslats: the flattens you see in my Scenery Lib were made by Pen32Win for his beta GSL Rabaul scenery. They did not affect anything before.

Kdriver: my MR's Marianas is in one folder, but the two sceneries must be added to the ScenLib separately and mesh/watermask files must always be loaded with the lowest priority possible in order to be displayed correctly. Look where Rhumba's addons are.

Thank you all for your prompt replies! :wavey: I will try all suggestions listed and see what happens. If I succeed in fixing the problem, I'll report back for sharing the knowledge.

MR, I'll also wait for your suggestions if you come up with more.

Cheers!

MaskRider
September 17th, 2010, 16:04
Hi KH,

The file that is causing the problem- somehow- is named Str_mjr_vroadssu.bmp.

I only made use of 4 texture files from the 6 listed:
Str_mjr_vroadssu.bmp
coralsu.bmp
JBvrocksu.bmp
Straight_vroadssu.bmp

I can see from you screenshots that JBvrocksu.bmp is present and accounted for. You say that Iwo jiima looks fine so from that I conclude that coralsu.bmp and Straight_vroadssu.bmp are present and accounted for. That leaves only Str_mjr_vroadssu.bmp unaccounted for. And that makes sense based upon what I see in your screen shots.

Somehow or another Str_mjr_vroadssu.bmp is not being found by either the name or at location CFS2 expects to find it. I guess it could also be corrupted somehow?

I hate to ask you this but have you checked to make sure that Str_mjr_vroadssu.bmp is there and that its name has not somehow gotten hosed up?

WRT
MR, you stated above you have removed yours as well, right? Yes that is right.

Thanks,
MR

MaskRider
September 17th, 2010, 16:21
PS The next time I refer to the 5 listed files when there are actually 6 listed files will someone please tell me to wake up and smell the coffee!:banghead:

kelticheart
September 18th, 2010, 03:37
Hi MR!

I am reporting back with great news: there's nothing wrong with any of your sceneries and/or replacement textures! :jump:

I worked all morning trying different textures combinations but, this time I started with a fresh approach. Jean's missing texture tile theory bothered me so, first of all, I created a new texture folder for my Pacific \scenedb\world\texture.
I noticed the folder with Stiz's FS9 PTO texture files I was using had somewhat less files than all the others for my various theatres. When I decided to use Stiz's files for a change, I just used them thinking to reduce the folder size with unnecessary files which CFS2 would not use in the Pacific.

Since I wanted to re-create exactly the same texture environment you described, I copyied in the folder all stock textures then I overwrote them with PacTex v.1, leaving the stock water files. This brings the total to about 505 files, the same number as in the strictly stock situation.

The result was immediate and great: all new Marianas sceneries show up fine. Obviously your sceneries are using stock texture files which were missing in my previous texture set.

Here's Guam, although the last shot shows at the end of the runway that JB's custom LOD9 mesh is not overriding Rhumba's LOD8, I can live with it............. (next)

kelticheart
September 18th, 2010, 03:43
....and now Iwo Jima, which always looked good since the beginning.

Obviously here the scenery does not need any stock texture tile!

........(next)

kelticheart
September 18th, 2010, 04:05
Now a couple of shots of Chichi Jima, which looks so beautiful that I can't believe it! :applause:

Here the second shot is still done with PacTex 1 and stock water, while the first is done with FSX Pac textures converted for CFS2 and Jimko's updated Pacific Blues water textures with foamy waves.

Although you developed your sceneries with PacTex1, you can see here that the first combo gives stunning results and your work blends flawlessly with these textures. I think I'll keep this combo from now on.

So, I installed your Marianas scenery following your instructions correctly and placed sceneries and mesh in the ScenLib in the right place. Jean was partially right: there were missing texture tiles indeed, although they were not VTP1s but stock textures that are being used by your sceneries. Without them, it was a disaster!

Have a good week-end MR and thank you again for these jewels!

MaskRider
September 18th, 2010, 05:49
Hi KH.

I am happy that you got whatever the problem was solved. Sounds like a lot of work. Thank you for sticking with it!

The screen shots you are posting are great! Yes, Chichi Jima is one of the favorite sceneries I have ever made. I like it, too! Haha Jima is very much along the same lines except you can only start there by using the advanced goto/scenery from FS95 and before menu- or fly thereof course.

I noticed in your screen shots that you are using none stock runway texture. That is fine by me, just thought I would point out.

In the wake of the feedback received on the Marianas pack I thought it would be worthwhile to make an Album here at SOH that shows what I built the scenery to look like. So I did. There is a top down view and an angle view of each airfield so that everyone can see what the airfields were built to look like on my rig. I took all of the shots at 1600 hours so that the mesh elevation is more pronounced and easy to see.

Cheers, KH,

I am sure that many of the problems you experienced were experienced by others too, who have been helped by your input.

Here is the link to that Album (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/album.php?albumid=301)

I just noticed that the pictures are not in order so that the angle views and top-down view of each airfield are not squencial- plus the pictures aren't in alphabetical order by name- don't know why- they were up loaded out of a folder where they were.

Have fun!
MR

MaskRider
September 18th, 2010, 13:15
Hehe, here is the link:

Marianas built to look like screen shots (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/album.php?albumid=302)

simonu
September 18th, 2010, 15:09
Looking real good MR. Are you painstakingly ploting all those coast lines in G2k ? Or have you got Sanders Auto coast working?

MaskRider
September 18th, 2010, 15:24
I painstakingly plot them. I have used Auto Coast before. In fact if you ever go to my version of Christmas Island- that was the last time I ever used it. You can see why I wanted to. Even so I still needed to go in and hand tweak some of the polys generated by AC- at that time it was having a little trouble on shoreline directions of interior lakes inside islands.

I like to do it by hand because that way I get to keep the details. Autocoast can get a little aggressive smoothing out the wrinkles- but that is what it is really good at- large expanses of land. Single islands or relatively short stretches of coastline like I usually deal with are easy enough to do by hand.

You probably know this already but I had to have it pointed out to me by JP. If you do the land mask first. It is easy enough to just save that project as a shoreline. Open up the shoreline project, change the name of the bgl and change the landmask poly to a shoreline and the shoreline fits like a glove- since it is essentially the exact same poly. Using custom meshes can get a bit tricky. Sometimes requires quite a bit a hand tweaking of shorelines/masks to fit the mesh.

FYI Here is a link to a Christmas Island screenie (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/album.php?albumid=246&attachmentid=346) in one of my SOH albums.

MR

simonu
September 18th, 2010, 15:52
I find the regularity of a coastline of constant width spoils the realism ( I know that I am being super critical.)
so I painstakingly plot the lines twice, once as a single line for the LWM and then as lots of short beach lines.

Christmas island looks awsome

Discus
September 18th, 2010, 17:47
MR

:jawdrop:All tyour Marianas scenery screenshots are really amazing!! Congratullations. I felt like looking at a master piece of art. You became Leonardo!!

Cheers, Dicus

Pips
September 18th, 2010, 18:20
I've not seen that Album folder of MR's screenshots before. Collectively they are an superb piece a work, quite brilliant in fact! :)

Outstanding as those fields are however, seeing them all in one place and being able to scroll though them has brought to mind something that has not occurred to me before. They're empty of planes. Now that may sound obvious but, it's not something I've really noticed up till now.

All those lovingly sculptured bays really do cry out for static aircraft to fill them. It would bring the bases alive. Not every bay has to be filled, but enough to give the base life.

Being one of those sad people who have absolutely no skill in creating anything, indeed just an end-user and willing to praise the work of others, I'm reluctant to make any comments that may be construed as ungrateful or negitive. So please don't take this the wrong way. But is it possible to fill the bay's (some at least) with static aircraft? Perhaps even an area dump of wrecked aircraft -which abounded in the Pacific?

MaskRider
September 18th, 2010, 18:52
I find the regularity of a coastline of constant width spoils the realism ( I know that I am being super critical.)
so I painstakingly plot the lines twice, once as a single line for the LWM and then as lots of short beach lines.

Yeah, any time I do a spot that includes a harbor for example ( such as Apra and ChiChi Jima) or some very complex water front (such as Boela, Ceram) or whatever, where for historical reasons I would like the coastline to look like it did during the war, I split the thing up so that the main part of the shoreline is just the flip side of the landmask but I do a separate landmask and shoreline for the detailed harbor areas. The best reason for doing shorelines in many segments is that it allows you to isolated compilation errors a whole heck of a lot easier- as I am sure you are painfully aware.

I don't know if you are using it, but JP's rocky shorline texture is great shoreline texture. It kinda give the illusion of lots of painstaking by hand detail without actually having to do the painstaking by hand detail!

All those lovingly sculptured bays really do cry out for static aircraft to fill them. It would bring the bases alive. Not every bay has to be filled, but enough to give the base life.

Totally agree Pips. I don't include them in the scenery because of frame rate considerations. And also, because when some one wants to use the scenery in mission building, static ships and planes kinda throw a monkey wrench into the mix. But you probably meant using static ships and planes for the screen shots? Well, I only have so much time in a week.:icon_lol: BTW, yes, I like the idea of the plane dumps. Every airfield had one.

But I get your point. Sometimes the lack of "life" in the screen shots reminds me of the critics of Adolf Hitler's artistic endeavors: there were never any signs of living activity in them. Yes, too extreme a comparison for sure.;)

Anyway, guys, I appreciate the nice comments and feedback. Thanks.

MR

kelticheart
September 20th, 2010, 04:58
Hi KH.

I am happy that you got whatever the problem was solved. Sounds like a lot of work. Thank you for sticking with it!

Hi there!

You are welcome and I am glad if my work might have helped or will help somene else installing your Marianas.

...I noticed in your screen shots that you are using none stock runway texture. That is fine by me, just thought I would point out.

:confused:....After over 8 years of working on, tweaking, installing improvement addons and such I really lost track of what I installed. I remember for sure installing a different concrete runway texture and Marsten Matting runway textures updated by Psullykeys (rusted). I can't recall changing stock coral and/or dirt runways, but if you are saying so I believe you. Which runway textures are you talking about, Guam, Iwo or Chichi? Runway textures are stored in CFS2 root \TEXTURE folder, are they not?

BTW: What do you think about my third Guam shot where it's evident that the small peninsula mesh, where the runway lays, is protruding where only flat water should be? Should I move JB's LOD9 mesh BELOW Rhumba's stuff in my ScenLib?

In the wake of the feedback received on the Marianas pack I thought it would be worthwhile to make an Album here at SOH that shows what I built the scenery to look like.

Splendid idea MR! Now we all have a reference in case ours shouldn't look right! :applause:

Cheers!

MaskRider
September 20th, 2010, 05:16
BTW: What do you think about my third Guam shot where it's evident that the small peninsula mesh, where the runway lays, is protruding where only flat water should be? Should I move JB's LOD9 mesh BELOW Rhumba's stuff in my ScenLib?

Hiya KH,

My apologies for not answering your earlier question about that "protruding mesh" at Orote.

Hmmm... that is odd. Yes, I would actually go ahead and deactivate whatever other mesh you have there and see what happens. It definitely should not look like that. Is JP's LOD9 mesh in the same folder as the rest of the Marianas scenery? or is it in its own folder? If it is in its own folder, try putting it into the same folder with the rest of the Marianas scenery pack.

You can try swapping around the scenery priorities- the order in the library.

MR

Jean Bomber
September 20th, 2010, 06:32
Hi all !

I've not the scenery installed yet ,I'm just landing on the cfs2 world ,the real life took me out of it since two month but seeing the pic I think the lod9 is ok the coastline is ok too but between the both a flatten is needed because this point of the island surely has cliffs falling at 180* in the sea and in this case a flatten is needed for the rendering of these coasts,the mesh often smooths these particular places .perhaps the flatten doesn't work ,perhaps something in the sceneries hierarchy...???

JP

MaskRider
September 20th, 2010, 08:13
Hi Guys,

Here are two screen shot I just took. I took them a a low sun angle so we can see the undulations of the mesh.

The first shows Orote Point with just JPs mesh activated.

The second shows Orote Point with both JP and Rhumba's mesh activated. Not a lot of difference.

I don't know why you are getting that mesh protrusion.

You might try putting JPs LOD9 mesh bgl back into the MR Marianas scenery folder and see if that helps. The A16 flattens are in the MR Marianas scenery folder on my rig along with JPs LOD9 mesh bgl.

At the moment though I just don't know what is going on there. Let me look at your scenery library again...

OK try deactivating that LOD7 mesh.

Keep me posted! :)

MR

sc7500
September 20th, 2010, 09:29
... I took the liberty of lightening these up in PSP so people with darker-reading monitors could SEE them ! lol

SC
:kilroy:

MaskRider
September 20th, 2010, 10:15
... I took the liberty of lightening these up in PSP so people with darker-reading monitors could SEE them ! lol

SC
:kilroy:

Why, whatever do you mean? Are you suggesting they were too dark? ;)

You're right, they were. Thanks!

(I went back and lightened the images in the original post, too ;))

MR

MaskRider
September 21st, 2010, 08:10
Hi guys, just a small update about Saipan. All 4 airfields are finished, all of the roads are laid in. I am currently putting the finishing touches on a very abbreviated version of Garapan-Tanapag Harbor area. Gotta drop down the coast a little and make likewise abbreviated version of the Charan Kanoa Sugar Jetty area and then Saipan will be ready to go. Another 2 -3 days or so.

I will release it then.

After that West Field, Tinian will finish up the Marianas and then on to a real quickie B-29 version of Iwo Jima.

Light at the end of the tunnel on this project!

The following is a gratuitous screen shot of the Garapan-Tanapag Harbor area:

kelticheart
September 21st, 2010, 15:05
.....I don't know why you are getting that mesh protrusion.....

Hi MR and Jean B!

I found the problem and now everything looks fine, just like the shot posted above.

When I followed Rhumba's install suggestions to track down and take out of \scenedb\world\scenery all of stock LOD9 mesh files, I had missed Guam. When I went back checking all files and I saw "Guam9.bgl" sitting there, I wondered how I managed to overlook it. :banghead:

I also did another experiment. MR, remember when I suggested you an early-war version of your sceneries?

Well, this time you did a wonderful job in separating and naming exactly all your scenery files. It's very easy telling which files contain just land, rivers, shorelines and watermasks.

I did another scenery folder with just those, I left out the excludes and installed just Iwo GSL objects, and voilá! Early-war Marianas with just the stock runways, Japanese-held Iwo Jima, all appearing on beautifully shaped land!

Your full install now shows up in my late-war PTO, I only wish the Pacific wouldn't be such a huge theater so that other talented scenery makers could correct CFS2 with Rhumba's mesh and watermasks. I kinda miss shorelines around all Pacific islands........:wiggle: ...and Saipan looks just as mouth watering as the other Marianas!

Cheers!

MaskRider
September 21st, 2010, 16:27
Hi MR and Jean B!

I found the problem and now everything looks fine, just like the shot posted above.

When I followed Rhumba's install suggestions to track down and take out of \scenedb\world\scenery all of stock LOD9 mesh files, I had missed Guam. When I went back checking all files and I saw "Guam9.bgl" sitting there, I wondered how I managed to overlook it. :banghead:

I also did another experiment. MR, remember when I suggested you an early-war version of your sceneries?

Well, this time you did a wonderful job in separating and naming exactly all your scenery files. It's very easy telling which files contain just land, rivers, shorelines and watermasks.

I did another scenery folder with just those, I left out the excludes and installed just Iwo GSL objects, and voilá! Early-war Marianas with just the stock runways, Japanese-held Iwo Jima, all appearing on beautifully shaped land!

Your full install now shows up in my late-war PTO, I only wish the Pacific wouldn't be such a huge theater so that other talented scenery makers could correct CFS2 with Rhumba's mesh and watermasks. I kinda miss shorelines around all Pacific islands........:wiggle: ...and Saipan looks just as mouth watering as the other Marianas!

Cheers!
Wow! KH, I am impressed! That was a lot of work and troubleshooting. I am glad it got straightened out. Very creative too the way you mixed and matched and ended up with just what you wanted! Awesome job!

I hope others have been paying attention to just what can be done!

Until later,
MR

MaskRider
September 21st, 2010, 17:06
BTW KH have you set up different CFS2 shortcuts for different GSL set ups? I have a different shortcut- CFS2 and MB- for each of my different GSL areas. But you can set it up for different GSL time frames, too. However you wish.

With all of the skillful playing around that you do with your CFS2 setup, I was just thinking that you might be interested- if you don't do it already.

Cheers
MR

Jerm
September 22nd, 2010, 19:31
hi

don't know what i messed up but i seem to still have the stock cfs2 shoreline showing up around iwo. any way to fix this. didn't see it mentioned before

MaskRider
September 22nd, 2010, 20:46
Hiya Jerm,

Did you get all of the updates that are scattered around this thread? Seems to me that one of them was a couple of excludes for the stock shorelines that I failed to include in the original zip.

MR

Try the inks at this post (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=42231&p=473860&viewfull=1#post473860). Kdriver brought this up early on- I hadn't even made the excludes much less included them in the original zip.

skylane
September 22nd, 2010, 23:06
Hi Maskrider!

I followed this thread for a while now, all the sreenshots that were posted really look great. When I have some time, maybe this weekend, I´ll install the scenery and try it out!
Just one question: Do I need to have Rhumba´s mesh installed or will the scenery also work with the stock mesh?

Thanks for all the work!

skylane

MaskRider
September 23rd, 2010, 03:51
You do not need Rhumba's mesh installed. The scenery comes with its own mesh- generously supplied by Jean Bomber. It will work with Rhumba's mesh. But I recommened deactivating Rhumba's mesh while playing in this scenery.

MaskRider
September 23rd, 2010, 09:26
OK, guys, time is drawing near. Saipan is just about finished. Still playing around with the Sugar Refinery area at Charan-Kanoa. It has turned out to be a very interesting place to research. The Japanese had developed the Marianas into major exporters of granulated sugar- refined from sugar cane grown on the islands. Saipan in particular had a very extensive small gauge sugar cane railway that the Japanese army and navy made use of during the war.

In any event the sugar refinery operation at Charan-Kanoa was huge as was the refinery. Of course it was blown to smithereens during the Allied invasion. Still though I am going to include that area as best I can- with an semi intact refinery. Unfortunately I can't really do the railroad track network because there just doesn't seem to exist a visually convincing railroad track texture. Unless someone can clue me in about one?

Anyhow, here are some screen shots- surprise, surprise. Taken in the late afternoon- because I think that is when things show up best. FS Metar is generating the cloud cover and I have just completed a small strafing run on the Charan-Kanoa sugar refinery- so as to make it more visible!

Another day or so and it will be up- maybe even late tonight.

Looking SW toward North Field, Tinian. Isley and Kobler Fields on the left and the smoking Charan-Kanoa refinery on the right- with a cleared but never used Japanese airstrip just next door to it.
Looking south from above the Tanapag-Garapan harbor area with Kagman, Isley and Kobler fields visible in the distance.
Looking SW along Saipan all the way to Tinian from Marpi Point.

MR

kelticheart
September 24th, 2010, 07:23
Wow! KH, I am impressed! That was a lot of work and troubleshooting. I am glad it got straightened out. Very creative too the way you mixed and matched and ended up with just what you wanted! Awesome job!

Hi MR! Glad you liked my idea!

You were unaware, but you responded to my early and late PTO wish by separating and clearly naming your scenery files. Here you got your answer and you can offer both possibilities for future projects like Philippines and such.

BTW KH have you set up different CFS2 shortcuts for different GSL set ups? I have a different shortcut- CFS2 and MB- for each of my different GSL areas. But you can set it up for different GSL time frames, too. However you wish.

With all of the skillful playing around that you do with your CFS2 setup, I was just thinking that you might be interested- if you don't do it already.

Cheers
MR

I don't do it that way, although it sounds interesting and I would like to investigate it a little further.

By using Jean B's multiple-theatres single install method, I only duplicated the \GSL folder many times as many theatres I have.

Since I have two Pacific, early and late, theatres, I have two \GSL folders with two cfs2.gsl in each one. Naturally only one is active at any given time, while the other(s) is dormant under a different folder name. I have 9 theatres all grouped under the same install: early and late PTO, early and late ETO, Africa/Med, Eastern Front, Winter Eastern Front, Italian front 1943-45, Korean conflict.

Apart from the Eastern Front, which uses the same cfs2.gsl, all others have their own and everyone is well separated from the others. For ex. I have no PTO objects, including stock ones, in my ETO and so on.

My early mishap with your scenery came from this philosphy, since I have been tackling the project of having theatre dedicated scenedb\world\texture folders on and off for a while now. I was experimenting with world texture folder containing just addons.

Alas! Everytime something new comes up, I get sidetracked by it. With every new prop texture or exh effect, I forget what I was doing and incomplete endeavours always come out at the least desired time to haunt me!

But this is part of the big fun, isn't it? ;)

BTW: your last reply to Jerm sparked another question. Your exclude files cover just rivers, roads and shorelines or also stock runways? If so, how do you name them so that I can tell the difference? For some reason, I thought excludes hide stock runways as well and I am now thinking I probably did wrong in leaving them out for my early PTO Marianas.

Cheers!

MaskRider
September 24th, 2010, 07:27
Oohh! I like the way that sounds, KH! Very neat and tidy!

Thanks,
MR

kelticheart
September 24th, 2010, 23:25
Oohh! I like the way that sounds, KH! Very neat and tidy!

Thanks,
MR

Hi MR,

so very sorry to bother you again, but...er...you forgot to answer to my question at the bottom of my reply....:wiggle:

At your own convenience, I know you are quite busy completing your splendid Marianas, if you could answer, it would help me a lot doing my early war scenery install without leaving out anything important.

Thank very much and a good weekend!

MaskRider
September 25th, 2010, 05:27
BTW: your last reply to Jerm sparked another question. Your exclude files cover just rivers, roads and shorelines or also stock runways? If so, how do you name them so that I can tell the difference? For some reason, I thought excludes hide stock runways as well and I am now thinking I probably did wrong in leaving them out for my early PTO Marianas.

Hi KH,

Good question.

I include 2 different type of excludes.

The first type are the ones that get rid of the stock runways. Those you will find in the MR_Marianas/scenery folder. They should be at the top of the list. The file names begin with "0".

The second type are the ones that get rid of all of the lines- shorelines, roads, rivers, etc.. Those get put into the main CFS2/scenery folder. Those names also begin with "0".

The "0" insures that they get loaded first by CFS2.

MR_Marianas_b-3 has 3 runway excludes: 0_marianas_orote_xcl.bgl, 0_Marianas_Pagan_Excl.bgl and 0_xcld-tinian_Excl.bgl

MR_Marianas_b-4 will include an additional runway exclude for Aslito/Isley.

Until later,
MR

dvslats
September 25th, 2010, 14:30
You do not need Rhumba's mesh installed. The scenery comes with its own mesh- generously supplied by Jean Bomber. It will work with Rhumba's mesh. But I recommened deactivating Rhumba's mesh while playing in this scenery.
He heee, I did not know this. When flying around your new scenery my FR's were horrible. Thought that it might have something to do with the scenery objects in them.
I deactivated the lod7 and lod8 from Dick and now everything is back up in the 60's again. :jump:

You learn something new every day.

Thanks Mask, :medals:
Dv

kelticheart
September 27th, 2010, 01:49
Hi KH,

Good question.

I include 2 different type of excludes.

The first type are the ones that get rid of the stock runways. Those you will find in the MR_Marianas/scenery folder. They should be at the top of the list. The file names begin with "0".

The second type are the ones that get rid of all of the lines- shorelines, roads, rivers, etc.. Those get put into the main CFS2/scenery folder. Those names also begin with "0".

The "0" insures that they get loaded first by CFS2.

MR_Marianas_b-3 has 3 runway excludes: 0_marianas_orote_xcl.bgl, 0_Marianas_Pagan_Excl.bgl and 0_xcld-tinian_Excl.bgl

MR_Marianas_b-4 will include an additional runway exclude for Aslito/Isley.

Until later,
MR

Many thanks, MR! :jump:

Just what the doctor ordered! ;)

Let me suggest you to include this info in your final pack, it's the key for anyone wishing to do a pre-Allied invasion scenery install.

Cheers!

JapLance
September 30th, 2010, 09:50
Hi Maskrider,

first of all, thanks for all those wonderful sceneries you do. I have them most on my Pacific install and they all improve the game in an infinite way.

I'm a bit late on this, but most of the process, with the help of this thread, went well. Only a glitch: Pagan Island. I get a double coastline there, but it is the only main island in the whole pack. All the rest look perfect.

Here is a picture of it:

Any ideas?.

MaskRider
September 30th, 2010, 10:33
Hi Maskrider,

first of all, thanks for all those wonderful sceneries you do. I have them most on my Pacific install and they all improve the game in an infinite way.

I'm a bit late on this, but most of the process, with the help of this thread, went well. Only a glitch: Pagan Island. I get a double coastline there, but it is the only main island in the whole pack. All the rest look perfect.

Here is a picture of it:

Any ideas?.

Hi JapLance,

Try this link (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=42231&p=473860&viewfull=1#post473860) to an earlier post in this thread. I had forgotten to include excludes for those coast lines in the original download. You very likely have double coast lines at more than just Pagan that you haven't noticed them yet. :)

JapLance
September 30th, 2010, 10:47
DOH!

Find the updated excludes and Pagan Island shorelines attached below. Toss the 3 excludes into the main CFS2/SCENERY folder. Toss the 3 Pagan shoreline bgls into the MR Marianas\scenery folder- when asked to over write click "yes".:

I had read the first part and added all contents in those two extra zips to CFS2/SCENERY, forgetting the second part ...:banghead:

Thanks MR, now it looks perfect.

MaskRider
September 30th, 2010, 11:17
Not to worry. Its a lot of stuff to keep track of. Thanks for thinking enough of it to make the effort!

MR