PDA

View Full Version : active sky REX compatibility

James
August 30th, 2010, 12:29
I'm thinking of talking the parents into getting me Active Sky X. Is it compatible with REX2?

Warrant
August 30th, 2010, 12:34
Don't know if they are compatible. I have them both and use either one or the other. They are both life weather generators, so therefore i see no reason to try them at the same time. If i have to give my two cents i like ASX better for accuracy (real weather at places where i am) and naturally blending in my FSX sim the way i have set it up. But that's a personal opinion.
:wavey:

FAC257
August 30th, 2010, 13:20
I had ActiveSky Evolution and REX2 running together with no problems that I could see. I'm pretty sure that ActiveSkyX would be the same. By the time I grabbed REX2 I had already bumped up to ASE.

One advantage of using the combo is that ActiveSky can use the graphics from both REX2 and XG to generate weather and textures sets. You can pick parts and pieces of each program and then install those into FSX. Once you have a combo that you like you can take a "Snapshot" of the textures you loaded using ASX/ASE and then AS can recall that set whenever you want. That Snapshot can also be used as one of the random sets that ActiveSky will load if you let it run on it's own.

This last time that I had REX2 installed I was using only it's textures but letting ASE control the weather generation, flight planning, etc.

I'm not sure if REX2 has the ability to use textures outside of it's own. That's something I did not try.

FAC

Alan_A
August 30th, 2010, 14:46
Perfectly compatible. Like FAC257, I use ASE to generate weather, and REX 2 for the textures. They're great together.

Re: which Active Sky to use, check the descriptions over at HiFiSim (http://www2.hifisim.com/) (and their forum at Avsim (http://forum.avsim.net/forum/171-hifi-simulation-software-support/)). ASE (Active Sky Evolution) is the latest and for me best-performing of the lot, but they're all good, and ASX isn't as demanding on the system. I've used REX with Active Sky Advanced, but not with ASX. But I don't see where that would be a problem.

Good luck getting it sorted out.