PDA

View Full Version : Traumatic Injury Accident By Prop

Crusader
August 28th, 2010, 08:35
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/08/weymouth_man_ki.html

This is a sad accident do to the fact the poor guy was getting out of his plane to help a fellow pilot . He will certainly be rewarded in his place in the sky . RIP

N2056
August 28th, 2010, 09:20
It is a very sad story...but the saddest part is that it would have been so easy (and correct) to shut down the engine before he got out :frown:

Crusader
August 28th, 2010, 09:45
It is a very sad story...but the saddest part is that it would have been so easy (and correct) to shut down the engine before he got out :frown:

I totally agree with you on this one . A real big lapse in judgement .

jmig
August 28th, 2010, 09:49
It is sad and it was preventable. :(

Bone
August 28th, 2010, 11:04
The case can be made that he should have shut down the engine, after all he did get killed. But, that doesn't mean he SHOULD have shut down the engine. If there was somone else in the plane, then not shutting down the engine isn't neccesarily the lapse of judgement that you might think...especially if he was on a taxiway. It's quite common in GA to get in and out of a plane with the engine running if there's a qualified someone guarding the brakes.

Flight Instructors do it all the time with first solo students. After doing a couple of warm up TO's and LDG's, they'll taxi to a ramp area and the instructor will get out and let the first solo student taxi back out and do their 3 bounces. Seat swaps are comon too, when you have two students aboard, and they're taking turns observing each other train.

If he was alone in the plane, then he should have shut it down, no question.

Obviously, this well seasoned FI made an incredibly unfortunate boo boo, and that's really to bad.

PRB
August 28th, 2010, 11:13
This reminds me of when I used to work on aircraft carrier flight decks. We had a few serious accidents similar to this, and one fatal one. I hate propellers! Working around E-2s in the dark is about the scariest thing ever. Very sad story here. All it takes is one momentary lapse in paying attention to where you are to cause this.

TARPSBird
August 28th, 2010, 11:13
A tragic accident. Just a moment of distraction is all it takes.
I remember working the flight line in the reserves when we had P2V's. When chocking/unchocking the wheels I always stayed well clear of the props. Walk or stumble into one of them (R-3350 engine) and you're not even a blip on the RPM gauge.

txnetcop
August 28th, 2010, 11:53
Like was said earlier soooooo very sad and preventable!

Bone
August 28th, 2010, 12:18
I hate propellers!

I don't care much for them either. With a few exceptions, props are for boats!

Ferry_vO
August 28th, 2010, 12:53
I don't care much for them either. With a few exceptions, props are for boats!

Recently I found photos and a story of an accident that included a mechanic and a 737 jet engine.... Not a pretty sight to say the least! Nothing identifyable left .. :barf:

Bone
August 28th, 2010, 13:14
Recently I found photos and a story of an accident that included a mechanic and a 737 jet engine.... Not a pretty sight to say the least! Nothing identifyable left .. :barf:

I know the one. A Continental 737 in El Paso sucked a mechanic into the right engine. The poor guy was packed in quite tightly around the N1 fan section. Gruesome.

TARPSBird
August 28th, 2010, 13:43
If anything, jet intakes are even more dangerous than props. Luckiest guy I ever knew was an E-2 plane captain that got sucked down the intake of one of our RF-8 Crusaders. By some miraculous combination of suction and airflow the lad went down feet-first rather than head-first and only lost a foot as the pilot quickly shut down the engine. F-8's were known to completely digest their victims.

beana51
August 28th, 2010, 13:52
" Aviation In it self Is Not Inherently Dangerous.But To An Even Greater DegreeThan The Sea,It Is Terribly Unforgiving Of Carelessness,Incapacity,Or Neglect ".....Always sad! Vin

Ferry_vO
August 28th, 2010, 14:59
I know the one. A Continental 737 in El Paso sucked a mechanic into the right engine. The poor guy was packed in quite tightly around the N1 fan section. Gruesome.

And scattered on the tarmac some fifty feet behind the aircraft..

Full story here: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20060131X00140&ntsbno=DFW06FA056&akey=1

If anyone's interested in the photos send me a PM; I'm not going to post the link here..

Willy
August 28th, 2010, 17:10
If anything, jet intakes are even more dangerous than props. Luckiest guy I ever knew was an E-2 plane captain that got sucked down the intake of one of our RF-8 Crusaders. By some miraculous combination of suction and airflow the lad went down feet-first rather than head-first and only lost a foot as the pilot quickly shut down the engine. F-8's were known to completely digest their victims.

Happened with an A-6 getting ready for launch and was caught on film. I first saw it when I went to Av Fuels school. This guy went in head first and hung in the intake. The engine still ate his equipment. When the engine shut down, he slid back out of the intake. Supposedly he never was quite right upstairs after that. I think it's on youtube now.

PRB
August 28th, 2010, 17:20
Rgr UToobe:

5jxcSY1AwrM