PDA

View Full Version : Women drivers!

PRB
August 27th, 2010, 17:28
This is a cool picture. I love P-3s! Few planes are as impressive from the flight deck, I think. One of the cool things about working at NAS Whidbey Island, WA, is that there are P-3s there (and EP-3s..s) so I get to watch them fly around the pattern. They sound like this: ...hummmmmmmMMMMMMmmmmmm......

Willy
August 27th, 2010, 17:37
I went to DOD language school with a P-3 driver. Nice guy with some cool stories to tell about driving his "bus".

Roadburner440
August 27th, 2010, 18:37
They are always buzzing around here because we have a butt load of them at NAS Jax. They are cool to watch. When I was over there getting training on a new aircraft we recieved I would watch them taxi, and take off and all... Is ashame they are going away. I think they type is something around 50 years old now. I do not think the P-8's will last that long.

Bushpounder
August 27th, 2010, 18:40
My daughter and son-in-law were both based at Whidbey. He is a P-3 mechanic. He's now in Hawaii working on them. She's out of the Navy now.

Don

jmig
August 27th, 2010, 18:46
Surprising to see a Lt JG as aircraft commander. I would have thought she would have been a Lt.

Roadburner440
August 27th, 2010, 18:52
I do not think she is the total aircraft commander... I know in my platform the HAC is usually at least a O-3, but sometimes you get the JG that is about to pick it up that finishes the HAC PQS. Do not take this as downing P-3's or anything, but I think with a FE doing the engine management and all that a JG should very well be able to be an aircraft commander in a P-3. Especially without having to worry about ship DLQ's and the like. Just have to plant the big bird on the runway, and do all their warfare stuff, EP's. Guys I know that used to work in P-3's say it is common practice to fly with 1 engine out to conserve fuel on station, so I imagine it handles really well in the air.

Bushpounder
August 27th, 2010, 19:49
Doesn't the HAC usually take off and land and sleep inbetween the two? ;)

Don