PDA

View Full Version : Bailout for the gunner

dewoitine
August 26th, 2010, 03:55
Hi all,

You have an aircraft with pilot and gunner.
The pilot is killed.
Why the gunner can't bailout ?
Have you an answer ?

André.

Vogelscheuche
August 26th, 2010, 08:49
.....perhaps the gunners leather flight jacket was snagged on a jagged edge of the shrapnel hole in the fuselage and he could not free himself with enough time to bailout?

dewoitine
August 26th, 2010, 09:29
Yes, of course but it's not sure16837It is just a commentary and I suppose that the program of the game did not plan this case.
I like knowing the bottom of the program and maybe that there is a solution.:isadizzy:
So long

André.

ndicki
August 26th, 2010, 10:21
Surprised they didn't get this right. In CFS2 dp files there was an entry for Crew=, which governed the number of people jumping out, as far as I can remember.

Mathias
August 26th, 2010, 10:33
It's basically the same in Cfs3. There's an xdp entry at the very bottom "CrewSize="X" which sets the number of jumpers.
You won't see the crews dissappear from the wreckage though because those are usually baked into the aircraft model, as opposed to the pilot who is referenced by a dummy object and called from the library.

hairyspin
August 26th, 2010, 10:34
It depends how the model has been built. If the modeller builds his own human figure, he won't bail out. If the modeller instead includes the node pilot0, that tells the game to use the stock figure, which will bail out when required.

You builds your model and you takes your choice...

Autothrottle
August 26th, 2010, 22:13
That's really sad though. However, I'm sure some of the Brit pilots can attest to this historical fact. Do you guys know of the Avro Vulcan Bomber? The same situation seemed to follow that design as well. The pilots could eject safely, but the rest of the crew had a flying metal coffin to carry them back to earth.

ndicki
August 26th, 2010, 22:24
That was based on the experience of many Bomber Command crews during the War, and wasn't quite the way you think; very, very often, the pilot had been able to hold the aircraft steady enough for the crew to escape, but as there was no-one to hold it steady for him when his turn came, he died as the aircraft span out of control, preventing him from making his escape.

The cynics would say that the system used in the Vulcan showed who was the most valuable crew member, but that simply isn't true - it's to give the pilot a reasonable chance to get out, and therefore actually encourages him to risk staying at the controls while the others jump.

And if you read your World War Two stories about how crews behaved when they had to evacuate their aircraft, you know that the probability of the pilot cracking out and leaving the others to die is very, very small.

Of course, the Vulcan was originally designed to operate at high altitude, not down on the grass the way it tended to later in its career.