PDA

View Full Version : Farscape.......!

Lionheart
August 25th, 2010, 12:04
Well, I have been ages now without Stargate Universe. So I have been venturing out and found an oldie that I havent really delved into yet, Farscape! A great British SciFi series (I think it was British) that has some brilliant acting and effects and especially makeup. The aliens and things in it are pretty well done for a weekly show.

Ive been buying the episodes one at a time in iTunes, watching them when I can. Really is nice to watch some good SciFi without commercials, when ever I want to watch them.

So, in Farscape, Moya, the ship, is living... Interesting...

The white haired wild thing hasnt showed up in the series yet where I am at, (perhaps episode 4 or 5). From what I remember, she is a cutie...

Bill

Cratermaker
August 25th, 2010, 12:16
That was an awesome show. Made in Australia I believe. Canceled one season too early, a fan campaign allowed a wrap up of the series in the form of a mini-series. Would have been horrible otherwise as the last regular episode was a nasty cliff hanger. The sci-fi channel really botched up the cancellation. You'd be interested to know Bill, that the main reason they gave for canceling it was to focus on..... yes, Stargate (the original series).

Since it never really was rerun in syndication, I wound up buying the whole series plus the mini-series from an Amazon-out-of-stock won't arrive before xmas situation for about $30.

Odie
August 25th, 2010, 13:17
Great stuff in Farscape, Bill ! My son and I recently finished going through the entire series on DVD for the 3rd time. Good character development in both the good guys and the bad guys. Claudia Black's character was my favorite. Lots of good moments to enjoy!

FAC257
August 25th, 2010, 13:19
I was hooked on Farscape as soon as I watched the premier show. It's one of the very few shows that I made sure to catch each week when it was on. The last season sort of threw me. I missed an epsiode or two right at the beginning and it lost it's continuity in my head. I never did mentally catch back on to what was going on, so I wasn't a faithful follower after that point.

FAC

Dain Arns
August 25th, 2010, 15:58
Netflix has all seasons and The Peacekeeper Wars...streamed.
$9 a month.
I've been watching them over the internet for months now. ;)

arrowmaker
August 25th, 2010, 20:47
Unfairly dismissed, by many, on first airing as "muppets in space" this is easily one of my all time favourite sci-fi shows. There are literally hundreds of fan made music videos, of varying quality, available over the net. One of the most viewed, and one that I really like is this effort:

<object height="405" width="500">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yXk8PAdYC3Y?fs=1&hl=en_US&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="405" width="500"></object>

strega13
August 25th, 2010, 21:25
i love that show . a great USA/australia coproduction cut short too early . but at least , peacekeeper's war was a great way to give the fans some closure .
from the special effects to the acting , along with the great scripts , one of the very best space sci-fi shows to have aired , second only to the recent retelling of BSG galactica IMO .

n4gix
August 26th, 2010, 08:52
I love Farscape! It was one of the very few programs that'd pull me away from nearly anything else...

About a week ago I called to cancel my Comcast account and had planned to switch to WOW (since the SciFi channel is part of their basic lineup). I wound up actually switching to a "Preferred Package" since it is on a promotion for about $10 less each month than I have been paying for "Expanded Basic."

It took me nearly three days to figure out that Comcast lists the SciFi channel as "SyFy..."

Once found though, I've discovered to my horror that the prime time slots are filled with "garbage..." and all the good stuff is on either in the late afternoon or the middle of the bloody night! <grrr!>

Lionheart
August 26th, 2010, 09:24
Once found though, I've discovered to my horror that the prime time slots are filled with "garbage..." and all the good stuff is on either in the late afternoon or the middle of the bloody night! <grrr!>

Syfly has become worthless..... Reminds me of MTV. If you want music, dont go there. If you want SciFi, dont go to syfly.

Just one question on Syfly programming. Why (why why why) do they play like 5 episodes of one program back to back in one night???? Do they not realise how easy they can burn out serious fans on their fave shows? What I mean is this, if they have seen the episode already, they will not want to watch that same episode a week later. It costs a tremendous amount to make a single episode, so why show 5 in a single night? At the most, 2, like one from last week, and then the new one, etc. But 5 or more? Weekly? Who is running that place?

and why is Wrestling Mania on a SciFi related channel? Was it a mistake and they havent noticed it yet? Why not put on... arrgh

you got me going on them, lol.. (takes a deep breath)

FAC257
August 26th, 2010, 13:13
....and why is Wrestling Mania on a SciFi related channel? Was it a mistake and they havent noticed it yet?

I was asking the same question back when they put wrestling on. Basically it turned out that the SciFi Channel and Wrestling were owned by the same group. They had to stick wrestling somewhere so the SciFi channel got stuck with it.

FAC

Sundog
August 26th, 2010, 13:36
Farscape is one of the few truly original Sci_Fi shows I've seen in the past ten years. That and Firefly, another show that was botched by their carrier (Fox).

One of my favorite Farscapes is the one that riffed on the Looney Tunes cartoons, specifically the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote. You haven't seen anything yet Bill (Lionheart). The series goes into some storylines that no major studio would dare try and it pulls them off wonderfully.

Farscape is one of the few series I've ever seen that didn't lack for imagination.

As for wrestling on SyFy, it's because it's cheap. My understanding is, that's the other reason they got rid of Farscape is that it was expensive to make. Remember, it's about profit, not quality.

Hell, they don't even show Anime' on it anymore. Or do they still do just one episode on Mondays?

Eureka is O.K., but I don't care for how they changed it this year. BSG was good, but I thought the ending was incredibly lame. I was hoping it would be something I couldn't predict. SGU started off lame, but there were some actually interesting episodes last season. Oh, and I actually have liked Caprica as well. It's another of those series that became more interesting as it went on.

Lionheart
August 28th, 2010, 23:28
Ok... This series is pretty dang MAGNETIC!

Enjoying it so far.

Just passed episode 7. What a cutie.

Roger that SunDog. I hear you man.

Even in this latest episode, I couldnt believe how diverse their 'alien' costumes and effects could get. Pretty dang imaginative. My brother thought this was a movie, lol... Not a TV show, till I told him tonight. He was speechless.

Eoraptor1
August 29th, 2010, 09:09
Syfly has become worthless..... Reminds me of MTV. If you want music, dont go there. If you want SciFi, dont go to syfly.

Yep.

JAMES

PS I don't know if anyone here does Orbiter, but there were digital models of Farscape One at Orbithangar.com and AVSIM. I don't know off the top of my head if they're still there or if they'll work with the 2010 build. I do know that there's a very nice Firefly/Serenity pack at Orbithangar.

Lionheart
August 29th, 2010, 09:24
Thanks James.

I havent tried the 2010 version Orbiter yet. I'll have to check that out.

Bill
LHC

Eoraptor1
August 29th, 2010, 09:50
Thanks James.

I havent tried the 2010 version Orbiter yet. I'll have to check that out.

Bill
LHC

Just got back from Orbithangar. They do still host Farscape models. Here's the link to my search. Go HERE: http://www.orbithangar.com/search_quick.php?text=Farscape&submit.x=18&submit.y=11

JAMES

Odie
August 29th, 2010, 09:59

Just one question on Syfly programming. Why (why why why) do they play like 5 episodes of one program back to back in one night???? Do they not realise how easy they can burn out serious fans on their fave shows? What I mean is this, if they have seen the episode already, they will not want to watch that same episode a week later. It costs a tremendous amount to make a single episode, so why show 5 in a single night? At the most, 2, like one from last week, and then the new one, etc. But 5 or more? Weekly? Who is running that place?

and why is Wrestling Mania on a SciFi related channel? Was it a mistake and they havent noticed it yet? Why not put on... arrgh

you got me going on them, lol.. (takes a deep breath)

Don't be too hard on them, Bill...after all, they do provide Dean Cain (Adventures of Lois & Clark) a way to make a living ! He seems to do quite a few made for TV movies over there.

Odie
August 29th, 2010, 10:11
Ok... This series is pretty dang MAGNETIC!

Enjoying it so far.

Just passed episode 7. What a cutie.

Roger that SunDog. I hear you man.

Even in this latest episode, I couldnt believe how diverse their 'alien' costumes and effects could get. Pretty dang imaginative. My brother thought this was a movie, lol... Not a TV show, till I told him tonight. He was speechless.

Bill, wait till you hit the later seasons when the characters have been fully established and the storylines are ramped up....jump in and hang on! It's one of those series where they allowed the characters to grow and develop to the point where as a viewer, they pulled you into the show. And it does have its share of plot twists and turn-abouts, which made it enjoyable to watch and invest viewing time.

Lionheart
September 6th, 2010, 23:21
Just watched Episode 16, 'A Human Reaction'. Man......

After so many episodes, and watching this. It really makes you think.

Love how they worked the voices in other languages from other peoples points of view.

Bill

CH_OldZeke
September 7th, 2010, 13:27
Farscape was by far one my favorite sifi shows. I even got my daughter hooked on it :)

wombat666
September 7th, 2010, 19:06
IIRC Farscape was a Jim Henson joint production 'Made in Australia'.
It features a host of very fine Australian an New Zealand female 'Actors' such as Virginia Hey, Tammy Macintosh, Raelee Hill, Francesca Buller, Rebecca Riggs, Gigi Edgley, Claudia Black and Erika Heynatz, .
And I've always lusted after Claudia Black ........:running:

Lionheart
September 8th, 2010, 01:14
Thanks for that info Wombat.

Gigi has just come into the picture 2 episodes back. Cute actress, as well as 'Peacekeeper Officer Suung'. One dynamic actress.

:d

Just watched the episode where Moya starbursts into a split dimension, accidentally fracturing the whole thing into 4 dimensions. An interesting concept...

Dain Arns
September 8th, 2010, 14:14
...Just watched the episode where Moya starbursts into a split dimension, accidentally fracturing the whole thing into 4 dimensions. An interesting concept...

One of my favorite episodes.

FAC257
September 8th, 2010, 14:23
When Gigi's character made her debut IMO she was one of the most interesting characters I've seen in any TV series.

If I'm remembering correctly she was only supposed to be a bit part, but the fan reaction to her created enough momentum that they kept her as a regular.

FAC

Lionheart
September 9th, 2010, 22:01
Thats good to know FAC. She is a hottie! wheww...

Tonights Episode: 'Nerve', and then came 'scorpius'...

man.. worse then Darth Vader..!

Sundog
September 9th, 2010, 22:10
Thats good to know FAC. She is a hottie! wheww...

Tonights Episode: 'Nerve', and then came 'scorpius'...

man.. worse then Darth Vader..!

Oh man, you're just getting started. I'm kind of jealous, since there isn't anything else out there as cool and you have so much to look forward to; after all, how many shows ever had a character who farts helium? ;)

The Scorpius character and how he plays through the story line is excellent.

wombat666
September 9th, 2010, 23:50
Thats good to know FAC. She is a hottie!

She still is Bill.
:jump:

Lionheart
September 11th, 2010, 11:42
Last night was Episode 21 where the gang are hiding in an asteroid field from Krise's super carrier. During the dramatic episode, we learn that Zahnn (pronounced Zan) is of the plant or flora species, another words, not a sort of 'human' type, blood letting sort.

I found that interesting.

Here is a bit of wild information for you.

The grays that were found at Roswell, as you may have known, were found dead except for one. I believe there were three total, one near death at the crash site, then later died, and the third also died later, perhaps 1 to 2 years later, but again, unknown. (Who knows....! ).

At any rate, when the Army autopsied the first two (which were quickly decomposing in a very odd way and giving off a smell that was similar to Amonia and unbreathable), the doctors? found they had two 'two chamber' hearts, one at each top side of their chest cavity, and they had green blood (what they think was blood). The skin was gray white, oddly white, like a mushroom, as it has a grey shading to it, but in direct light, its bright white, hard to explain.

They theorized (back then) that the blood flow was far faster then the human being, and that they believed from what all they found, that the beings were somehow powered by light, literally, with a protoplasm type blood system.

This means they were like a plant, in a way, but a being that could do things like a human being, hands and arms, thinking, eyes, etc, but running on protoplasm, (green stuff in plants that generates nutrients from light through photosynthesis).

This is all in detail in a book called Majestic, a hired biography about the Roswell incident, that was by the famous general in charge of the management of the crash when it was in New Mexico. He hired Whitley Strieber on his death bed to write the book. It could be written as fiction in order to get around the 'secrecy clause'.

Just a little tidbit of information. Again, who knows? Pretty wild though.

Eoraptor1
September 12th, 2010, 18:23
Lionheart,

There's an updated Farscape One at Orbithanger that works with Orbiter 2010. For some reason they decided to call it Farside. Go here: http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4805

I don't know how Moya would be modelled for Orbiter. They have warp drive MFDs in the sim as add-ons, but Leviathans are sentient. How would you model Pilot?

JAMES

Lionheart
September 22nd, 2010, 22:58
Season 2, Episode 13....

dang....!

Lionheart
October 14th, 2010, 21:46
Now at Season 3, Episode 17; 'The Choice'. Sadly, only one more season to go.

Man... I hate it when the good guys get killed. No one is susceptible...

I didnt think I was going to make it through a couple of the season finale's. Too intense. How did people deal with this on a weekly basis, and then wait months for a sequel...?

Great series...

Dain Arns
October 15th, 2010, 13:16
Well you've viewed past my favorite Farscape episode, "Crackers Don't Matter", so I can post these then.
Scorpius in a Hawaiian shirt was classic...

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iOq0T980x8E?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7t5AAW0L9bw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

Lionheart
October 15th, 2010, 18:21
Scorpius in a Hawaiian shirt was classic...

Loved that one! I laughed so hard I ached all day the next day.

'C'mon John! Lets go down to the beach and have Marguarita shots and pizza!'

lolol...

And Aeryn in those curlers, lololol... (if that was the same episode)

That second one was brilliant. Another extreme laughing episode.. I cried I laughed so hard.

Lionheart
October 17th, 2010, 19:11
Man.................!

Intense...

Whom to trust. Earth in the balance.

Those cuffs sure make a difference.