PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim C-17 Globemaster: Reverse Thurst In-Flight?

GatorFlyer
August 24th, 2010, 04:02
After researching C-17 Tactical Assault Approaches, looks as if the C-17 deploys reverse thrusters in flight to aid in slowing the steep (10-20 degrees nose down) approach.

Anyone out there know how to change a setting in the .cfg or anywhere else to allow the activation of reverse thrust in-flight? As of now the default AS C-17 only allows activation with weight on wheels on the ground. I've heard a few other FSX aircraft allow the in-flight activation of the reverse thrusters.

Heres a real-world tactical approach with the crew deploying reverse thrust in-flight (@ 1:35): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUUU-C-7o98

Roadburner440
August 24th, 2010, 05:22
The reverse thrust not being enabled in flight is a limitation within FSX. For some reason they decided to only allow people to use reverse thrust when weight on wheels was achieved. Other companies have worked around this by building the code for it outside of the sim. Such as A2A's 377 allowing reverse thrust for radial piston engines (not allowed with stock FSX engine). I also think Flight Sim Labs allows for reverse thrust in flight with the Concorde, but I haven't tried it personally. If AS didn't code it into the aircraft though there is no quick .cfg edit that can be done. Either have to go outside the sims programming and build something through simconnect to do it, or they will have to do that and release a patch. It is unfortunately but just a lot of things that FSX doesn't do, or requires a lot of programming to accomplish.

airattackimages
August 24th, 2010, 05:45
Just FYI I'm able to reverse pitch in flight with the Team FSKBT P-3 Orion. Don't know if that can help anyone figure out a fix or not (just in case you may want to "reverse engineer" something out of that aircraft's files to figure it out).

centuryseries
August 24th, 2010, 11:08
Just FYI I'm able to reverse pitch in flight with the Team FSKBT P-3 Orion. Don't know if that can help anyone figure out a fix or not (just in case you may want to "reverse engineer" something out of that aircraft's files to figure it out).

In fairness, it isn't a 'fix' since it's not broken - MS didn't include it, while I understand that we all want accuracy but how many people will use it on the C-17 for the amount of extra coding that is required?!! Personally I'd never heard of reverse thrust being used in flight, that sounds incredibly dangerous!!

The only ways would be simconnect to do it the hard way or edit the spoilers to produce more drag and use your imagination!

warchild
August 24th, 2010, 11:36
reverse thrust in air is standard with a lot of aircraft both props and jets.. Its a viable way of slowing down forward momentum. The scariest part of it is with props, in that when you reverse them on some planes it can cause a god awful amount of vibration and noise..
Actually, in FSX, it doesnt take a lot of external coding.. Just lower the wheels, hit the wheel brakes and hit the reversers..

BOOM
August 24th, 2010, 11:39
Wow,Great video,It looked like they were decending @ a 60 deg angle,insane!! On the other end of the C-17 spectrum[not trying to hijack this thread,just sharing] Have you seen this? The Unrestricted climb!!! No wonder these guy's don't get shot down!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQyGd6F2SKI&NR=1

jetstreamsky
August 24th, 2010, 12:01
Use it all the time for tactical approaches in the Aerosoft Twin Otter, makes for some exciting steep approaches into small strips, but you have to time everything right to maintain proper airspeed while judging the point of steep nose down in order to attain the start of a short airstrip and then at the other end manage the round out so you don't drop onto the ground. Great fun !

kilo delta
August 24th, 2010, 12:41
It a pretty standard procedure in the Pilatus Porter to select beta prop pitch and dive to earth like a Stuka after offloading a bunch of parachutists. :)

icycle
August 24th, 2010, 19:40
Also, on the DC-8 you could do it on the two inner engines.

The jet had no speed brakes to slow it down! I imagine that was an interesting experience, sitting by a window, looking out at the engine next to you, and see it go into reverse during descent! Kind of a little "un-nerving" and a little noisy too.

Bill

NoNewMessages
August 24th, 2010, 21:21
Heres a real-world tactical approach with the crew deploying reverse thrust in-flight (@ 1:35): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUUU-C-7o98

A bit OT, but this video is great for me because it shows San Clemente Island and the airport area. For the longest time any imagery around SCI was clouded up and obscuring the airport area. But I've gotten new imagery which shows the entire island now. So all eight of the Channel Islands can be rendered. :salute: