PDA

View Full Version : Angel Falls

PRB
August 22nd, 2010, 08:47
So I'm watching the Travel Channel on the television, and they're doing this “marathon” with a show called Earth Wonders. It's interesting because of the spectacular scenery. They get to a place called Angel Falls, in Venezuela. I've heard of this place, but knew not how it got it's [western] name. As it happens, I'm also in the middle of reading a book, on the recommendation of Willy and Moses03, called One Pilot's Log, The Career of E.L. “Slonnie” Sloniger, who was American Airlines first pilot. At one point in the early 1920s, Sloniger was working in Mexico, flying mail and payrolls for some Mexican outfit. Among the pilots he flew with was a man named Jimmy Angel, who would, in 1933, “discover” them, and that, dear readers, is how it came to be known as Angel Falls. Interesting, no? I flew over them in FSX with default terrain, and the whole area is a flat featureless plain. Then I put FSGlobal2008 back on, and it actually looks like the Canaima National Park, more or less.

falcon409
August 22nd, 2010, 09:16
Man, Slonnie looks like he's about 19 in that pic, lol. I take it even with the FSGlobal2008 active, the "Falls" still don't show? That's where Instant Scenery would come in, lol, locate the general area and presto. . .instant falls, lol.:salute:

Really interesting stuff too Paul, thanks for posting.

polygoon
August 22nd, 2010, 11:39
One thing though - on top of those mesas there is only wilderness, no civilization.
I read an article a long time ago about an expedition that went up on a couple of those mesas and the strange and wonderful things they found up there defies imagination. It was like reading a fantasy novel. Apparently it's a different world up there.
The author of that article also referred to a book about that expedition called "Tepui Fever".
For those who are interested...

Greetings,
Norm