PDA

View Full Version : Blade Runner Spinner for a bit of fan fun

wilycoyote4
August 20th, 2010, 16:23
At Simviation---

Blade Runner Spinner
(http://www.simviation.com/simviation/download.php?ID=10285)12.89Mb (344 downloads)
This is the Spinner flying vehicle from the still popular movie 'Blade Runner', a cult fiction with a huge following that is based in the future in the collossal New Los Angeles, where Dekkard, a cop trained to track rogue replicants (artificial human beings created for work and to fight in wars). Dekkard, played by Harrison Ford, has to chase down four dangerous replicants that ran from a war and came back to Earth. The Spinner is the clever work of the incredible 'Futurist', Mr. Syd Mead, who designed it for Scott Ripley for this movie. Syd did so well with some things, that they later asked him to create some of the tons of movie props, movie sets, clothing, city scape and buildings, etc. The Spinner contains a gravity engine that enables the vehicle to fly effortlessly without loud and bothersome thrust. Full Credit to Bill at Lionheart creations.

Thanks, even for Dekkert and his take-away dinner from the White Dragon diner. Love that shirt, eh ??
:running::ernae::applause::guinness::icon29::guinn ess::medals:

Warrant
August 20th, 2010, 16:26
great HU, thanks. Knew there was one made for FS9, but nor 4 FSX?

kilo delta
August 20th, 2010, 16:56
When I got my first bluray/HD-DVD player in 2008 the very first movie I bought was Blade Runner....a visual masterpiece and a brilliant movie to boot.

Is this a recompiled model or an fsx compatible version? :)

wilycoyote4
August 20th, 2010, 17:10
When I got my first bluray/HD-DVD player in 2008 the very first movie I bought was Blade Runner....a visual masterpiece and a brilliant movie to boot.

Is this a recompiled model or an fsx compatible version? :)

I see MDL8MDLH so I say no and there is not a separate VC model. But it works fine and doesn't cause fps problems. As for driving and flight it seems ok. A bit of fun for me.

Lionheart
August 20th, 2010, 18:24
Hey wilycoyote4,

Goodness, you are pretty knowledgeable on the Movie and car! Impressive.

For others;
* This is an FS9 model. No plans presently to build it in FSX. You can create DDS textures (Save texture as DDS in DXTBmp or other such program) to run better in FSX.
* There are two models in the package, one that drives around on the ground (cannot fly), and one that flys around, (doesnt drive around very well).

Dont forget Harrisons bottle of Vodka on the seat that he bought also, though it was in a brown bag or wrapping paper.

:d

Syd Mead is just plain awesome... What an amazing designer. I got to see him at Arizona State University at a lecture. Really glad I did.

Bill

wilycoyote4
August 20th, 2010, 18:56
Thanks Lionheart, I guess I know a little having the book with the additional text about the film and the intentions of the author plus the 5 disc blu-ray set that has a ton of documentaries about Dick and the making of the film made back in 1982. It has all 5 versions of the film in blu-ray including the Final Cut with corrections in 2006 or 2007, quite recent. Interviews with film makers are most interesting to me. I got the set from Amazon dot com for a very cheap price. Took weeks to get through all of it, lol.

A cinema creation that is unique still standing the test of time and understanding.

Anyway, maybe someone will build a true FSX but just for fun it's fine. Imagine an LA 2019 city ! What a daydream.

MarkH
August 20th, 2010, 22:56
Scott Ripley

:icon_eek:

Lionheart
August 21st, 2010, 00:06
Anyway, maybe someone will build a true FSX but just for fun it's fine. Imagine an LA 2019 city ! What a daydream.

wilycoyote4

Actually, I had designed a 'year 2020' that I wanted to create for FS2020, and this was San Diego. Check the backgrounds. These were special buildings, complete with night illumination textures. What was cool was a sky scraper that hinged on an axis and had 'horizontal' wind turbines on the midships of the tower for aero-power generators.

The one view, straight down, is of a huge round tower that had a bowl like basen at the bottom with a park. Another had giant sections that had 'steps' which had parks on the top of each section. These are 2 dual building islands that are huge, vertical structures linked to the land via underground highways under San Diego bay.

I would sure love to do that still with the old FS2004 platform. What a wild sim that would be.

wilycoyote4
August 21st, 2010, 00:26
Hmmmm............wrote too soon. Interesting.

Snave
August 21st, 2010, 00:53
:icon_eek:

Yeah, me too. Sir Ridley Scott would be impressed by this director, whoever he is... :ernae:

Dain Arns
August 21st, 2010, 02:35
It's unfortunate, but when I last saw the drivable version of the Spinner from Blade Runner over a decade ago, it was wasting away on the Universal Studios - Florida Disney-MGM studios back lot
(EDIT: Sorry. We went to EVERY theme park on that vacation.)

It was in pretty tough shape then...
(I have my own pictures of it stored away somewhere in a box, found this one on the internet.)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/br_spin2.jpg

(EDIT: Sad news. Reading the site where I found this picture, it turns out the Spinner is no more. It was dismantled in 1999)

Lionheart
August 21st, 2010, 09:04
Dekkards Car (copper colored unit) was at a place on Hollywood Bulevard, Hollywood, in a 'famous cars' lot, (very small, between all the sky scrapers and stores and all). It was out in the sun and not doing well.

With the Spinners being mostly plastic and plexi, I can see them deteriorating fast in the sun. Horrible. I would have had them in a building with AC on them, not rotting in the sun.

They were very basic, with an almost undriveable chassis. They had a VW engine and simple tubes going to the front tires. You could only taxi it around. I doubt it could do over 30MPH with the front suspension the way it was.

Perhaps someone some day will build a few that will be fully driveable. Flyable would be better though. :d

Bill

dswo
August 21st, 2010, 11:49
Flyable would be better though.

Flying cars for everyone = world of Blade Runner = dystopia