PDA

View Full Version : static planes

gius
August 20th, 2010, 13:55
Hi,
how to convert a cfs2 plane to static scenery???

wolfi
August 20th, 2010, 14:26
I think if you can convert it to a scasm file you can compile it into a bgl. I don't know how but at last I think its possible, the main problem will be the virtual cockpit if the aircraft has one, also all the animations, I don’t know how they affecting the compiling process. At last it would be fine to have a few aircraft that can move at the ground (as vehicle).

gius
August 20th, 2010, 14:30
I think if you can convert it to a scasm file you can compile it into a bgl. I don't know how but at last I think its possible, the main problem will be the virtual cockpit if the aircraft has one, also all the animations, I don’t know how they affecting the compiling process. At last it would be fine to have a few aircraft that can move at the ground (as vehicle).

i'm wondering if, using mdlc, the sca code built with this app can be useful to obtain a valid 3d object.

trasno
August 21st, 2010, 03:50
I think that time ago there was a program "mdl to bgl".

Trasno

Jagdflieger
August 21st, 2010, 04:01
I've always thought that having some smashed up planes to spread around airfields would be nice. All reports from the Pacific indicate that they provided a ready source of spare parts and numerous souviniers.

oldwheat
August 21st, 2010, 10:40
I did a couple of 'wreck' scenery objects. They should still be here @ SOH. It wouldn't be all that difficult to do more if anyone's interested ( I don't have to deal with those damn animations)..
I just checked & they aren't in the uploads. Thinking more about it, they were posted as attachments in posts & are now history and were aircraft rather than scenery objects. I am presently playing with creating a scenery object from the source files in my possession. Using the C-47 for starters.

UncleTgt
August 21st, 2010, 11:59
Just a note of caution here

I understood that you could select any airplane as an infrastructure object & include it as a layout object in mission builder, even with pre determined damage levels (ie wrecked, so long as the aircraft model shows damage).

I don't see theses items as gsl objects, as they are "transient", depending on who "owns the landing strip, so I wonder if there's a real need for individual aircraft wrecks as infrastructure bgls ...?

oldwheat
August 21st, 2010, 12:46
Well, there are several advantages that I can think of.
1= You can compile the model in a 'crashed position without messing with the DP plus you can model in bent props, damaged parts, etc..

2= You don't have to worry about adding to the CFS2 plane limit.

3= You can simplify & multi-lod the model for maximum FRs.

Jagdflieger
August 21st, 2010, 15:04
Plus they could appear shot up and damaged with missing or bent wings, upside down, smashed canopies, etc. What I'm thinking of is along the lines of Wolfie's and PSK's damaged ships that apear half sunk at different angles.

Of course nothing is impossibe for the guy who doesn't have to do it. If someone had the time and the knowledge, they would be a nice addition to CFS 2.

Some examples from a quick search of the web:

Discus
August 22nd, 2010, 11:03
It really would be another good addition. I can imagine a Luftwaffe airfield recently occupied by Allied advancing forces full of wrecked Ju-88, Ju-52 and others. Or an Allied airfield after Luftwaffe Operation Bodenplatte in1944.

Meanwhile, some easy way of simulating damaged aircrafts:

Cody´s Handbook, page 104:
Some objects, notably the stock aircraft, will show damage if the Pre-damage is set to 100%. It isn’t perfect, but it does allow you to simulate wrecked planes scattered around."

Haven´t tried it but will do and post some images of different add-on aircrfafts with 100% damaged put as infrastructure.

Discus

bobhegf
August 22nd, 2010, 13:49
Here are a few planes that I use for damaged AC.Thes pics are taken from my Guadalcanal missions I am working on still after 5 years.Just thought you fellows might be interested.I have seen very little interest in the PTO so I am going to take my time with thies missions and it may be next year before I put them up.

bobhegf
August 22nd, 2010, 13:53
Here are the rest.

Jagdflieger
August 22nd, 2010, 14:32
Looks good Bob.

Thanks goodness for Cody's tutorial. I'll check out page 104 later tonight.

simonu
August 22nd, 2010, 16:15
Save layouts of parked or wrecked planes, make gsl files or add them to copies of your base gsl.

Models of proper wreckage preferable to planes damaged through MB which may not look realistic.

bobhegf
August 22nd, 2010, 18:09
I agree with Simonu that they should look real insted of what we have, but untill then need to use what we have.

Cody Coyote
August 22nd, 2010, 19:13
I have seen very little interest in the PTO so I am going to take my time with thies missions and it may be next year before I put them up.

I'm curious what you base this comment on Bob? Uncle Tgt has put out some great British Pacific fleet skins recently. Ghostrider and Sopwith Chameleon have released enough B-29 skins to populate a couple of bombing groups and MaskRider is cranking out some of the best looking Pacific sceneries we have ever seen.

These are some of our best addon contributors. I doubt they'd be putting in so much effort if there was "very little interest" in the Pacific as you say.

bobhegf
August 22nd, 2010, 20:27
I might have spoke to soon.

mariereid
August 23rd, 2010, 08:23
Bob, that is fine looking "junk yard" ya got there.:salute::ernae:

bobhegf
August 23rd, 2010, 14:46
To get the aircraft on the ground go to the aircraft config file in each aircraft folder and find the static_cg_height and change it to .085 and static _cg_pitch and cahnge it to 0.69.You then have to change the name of the aircraft to reflect what you did.This way you don`t mess up your stock aircraft.I used stock aircraft with the above changes and stock infrastructure.

MaskRider
December 12th, 2012, 14:33
Did anything ever develop WRT creating static, pre-damaged, aircraft library objects- similar in idea to Wolfi's sunken ships- that can be added to the GSL? I could use some. ;^)

Thanks!

MR