PDA

View Full Version : New MAAM Avenger paint and some help if possible, please?

RobH
August 18th, 2010, 16:35
I have been working on a new template for the MAAM Avenger for FSX. I have increased the texture sizes to 2048 X 2048, to allow better details, I hope. I still have lots to do on this, but its slowly taking shape.

Ok, here is the help part, please? I have checked every book I have and checked several sites and no luck. Does anyone have any reference material or web sites that might show all the labels that go on the Avenger? I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks!:ernae:

Here is where I am at so far with it. Hope it looks promising:redf:

To view larger images, right click, then click on view image.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/RobH1108/FSX%20Avenger/avenger1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/RobH1108/FSX%20Avenger/avenger2.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/RobH1108/FSX%20Avenger/avenger3.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/RobH1108/FSX%20Avenger/avenger4.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/RobH1108/FSX%20Avenger/avenger5.jpg

skyhawka4m
August 18th, 2010, 18:50
The TBM is FSX ready?

RobH
August 18th, 2010, 18:56
The TBM is FSX ready?

No, it's ported over.

Here is the link to thread for the glass fix. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=35501&highlight=avenger

Helldiver
August 19th, 2010, 07:32
This is some of the basic stenciling info. The aircrafts last number is on the cowl on each side printed in white. It also appeared on the lower edge of the cowl painted in black. Then on each landing gear door painted in white. Usually the aircraft's number is printed in black along the fuselage. Although sometimes in white. On the port side, in below the canopy, ahead of the pilot will be:
TBF -1A Ser. No.12345
Mfg Date 3/41/42
A&R Date 6/12 /43
Service this aircraft
with 100 octane fuel

Above dates are fictitciuos, The antenna mast has "no hand grip" painted on each side of it on the canopy. The flaps has "do not step" three times in white on each flap.
There is a "do not push" on the trim tabs and the elevators. On the oil fill cap on the starboard side is "oil capacity 12 gallons"
There are other stencils, pilots name and crew names etc. but the ones I mentioned are universal for most Naval aircraft

RobH
August 19th, 2010, 10:36
Thank you for your reply Helldiver. I appreciate you taking the time. But, as usual, no one seems to be interested in my work. I will just keep it for myself.

Thanks again, and sorry for wasting your time, and wasting SOH bandwidth.

IanP
August 19th, 2010, 10:42
Or maybe people don't know the answer to your question and don't want to post inanities to your thread?

I can understand the lack of interest thing, no-one shows any interest in what I do any more, but I also learned that very few people ever say thank you anyway and when they do it's usually because they want something else. ;)

I bet, however, that if you complete it and upload it somewhere, it'll get plenty of downloads.

Ian P.
(Who doesn't know the answer.)

Javis
August 19th, 2010, 10:48
At Maam-Sim we certainly DO appreciate your work, Rob ! Your work looks wonderful ! Sorry to see the pics have gone !??

If you like i'll PM you a link to download a collection of close-ups of our TBM which show quite a nice roundup of the stencilling.

Let me know, Ok ?

Cheers,
Jan

jankees
August 19th, 2010, 11:42
no interest is normal, unfortunately... but just you upload it and see how many people are interested...

My Avenger has disappeared in a computer crash and a consequent move to FSX, but if it ports nicely to FSX..?
Now see if I can download it again..

oh, and I don't know the answer either!

WarHorse47
August 19th, 2010, 15:04
Thank you for your reply Helldiver. I appreciate you taking the time. But, as usual, no one seems to be interested in my work. I will just keep it for myself.

Thanks again, and sorry for wasting your time, and wasting SOH bandwidth.Whoa. I didn't realize you were looking for feedback. I'm not an FSX flyer, but I'm very interested in any MAAM TBM repaint. I remember the pics you posted and they had fantastic detail. Count me in. :wavey:

--WH

delta_lima
August 19th, 2010, 19:26

Thanks again, and sorry for wasting your time, and wasting SOH bandwidth.

First Rob, I'm sorry I can't help on the specific matter at hand - though it looks like you can count on HD's exacting recollection of those fine details to hopefully get you through this project.

More importantly, though, (and not to wax too philosophical) with such a wealth of wonderful addon's out there, it's hard to be equally grateful to all the modellers and repainters, and maybe this is a case of "silent appreciation." I will let others speak to their own sins of ommission when it comes to thank folks like you - but for my part, I will say this:

Your AH Hurricane repaints gave me hours of enjoyment in CFS2, and now that I'm in FSX, your VF-111 repaint is the crown of my F-14 fleet. Those are just two examples that come to mind. I know there was some excellent FAA Hellcats in a more distant past that were thoroughly enjoyed. For the vast amount of work you've done in general - but for these in particular - I truly thank you.

As to the subject at hand, I'm thrilled at the prospect of an FSX'ed Avenger, even if it is a "port avion" (those who know both French and English, sorry for the bad pun!). In truth, your paint kit would open a whole new world of repaint opportunities, and if completed, will earn you even more well-deserved recognition. For whatever a simple "appreciator's" thanks and encouragement is worth, you have it already.

Again, many thanks!

dl

ps: maybe an FSX Avenger paint kit might lead to a dark little secret longing that lurked unfulfilled in FS9 finally coming to life in FSX ....

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/resrc/images/hst/l-g/avenger.jpg

Anyway - hope the fire comes back - you have many fans!

mal998
August 20th, 2010, 05:00
I'm interested. I have the Avenger up and running in FSX and she looks and flies great.

I looked through all my Grumman factoy photos of the Avenger (of which I have many), but unfortunately they are not closeup enough to make out the stencils. The writing in most cases is very small.
I also searched around the internet with no luck on the walkarounds posted online. From the books I have on the Avenger, it appears that there were many stencils on the aircraft, but again in most cases it was very small writing and is hard to make out.

If you'd like I can send you a PDF copy of TBF/TBM Avenger in Detail. If you go through it slowly you can see some of the stencils that were applied to the aircraft. If you are interested PM me your email. Make sure you have Adobe reader set up so you can read the PDF file. It may be worthwhile because you can enlage the photos and in some cases read the stencil writing.

Don't be deterred by a lack of response. Often people don't respond when they don't have an answer.

RobH
August 20th, 2010, 11:18
First, thank you all for your nice comments and help offers. I appreciate it very much. I am not sure if I will continue or not, I want to think about it for a few days.

It's not about people not posting information about the stenciling. If you don't know, I don't expect an answer, I understand.

It's just that it would be nice to hear once in a while that my work is not wasted time. I'm probably a little over half way finished with the Avenger with close to 60 hours work already. Time I probably should have spent elsewhere on house, family, etc. It's nice to hear once in a while that someone appreciates the work that is involved. For instance, I spent several hours making the body panels actually look like they overlapped one another instead of just lines.

The same thing with the Alphasim B-24 paints I did. I spent close to 4 months, making a new template for it. All of my recent B-24 paints, have nose art that I hand painted. No, they are not perfect, but I think they look better than just finding a picture on the web and pasting it on there. I usually spend 1-3 days making the nose art. Same thing, hardly anyone comments on them.

Maybe I acted hastily, but its just disappointing some times. I try to compliment other peoples work here, but most of the time, I am so far behind in purchasing payware, I don't own what people are painting. Jankees, for instance, has done some incredible work for the Warbirdsim P-51 and A2A's B-17, but unfortunatley, I don't own either one. Usually, by the time I make a purchase, most people have already forgotten about the plane, LOL.

I will try to do a better job myself, complimenting peoples hard work, I hope people here will do the same.

Thanks,
Brian

falcon409
August 20th, 2010, 12:12
Brian,
As a few others have already stated, don't be deterred by a lack of response to your requests. It happens to everyone it seems. There are just certain things that some folks are interested in and despite nice screens and in-depth descriptions, you might get 200 views and absolutely no replies. It can be very discouraging. That's why most of the stuff I do I don't even bother uploading any more. I'll keep producing repaints and panel art and what-not, but if I post shots and get the results I mentioned above, then my hangar is as far it'll go, lol, but it doesn't keep me from still enjoying the actual hands-on interest I have in those things.:salute: