PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim ceases trading

michael davies
August 18th, 2010, 01:29
Sad day to see personally, but lets hope Virtavia can bring something new to the community.

http://www.alphasim.co.uk/

Whilst first appearance indicate a simple name change, I think there is more to the new Virtavia set up, primarily all models appear to be with flight 1 wrappers and all sold through sites not owned by Virtavia.

Hopefully in the coming days more precise news will follow.

Having worked there from almost day one more than ten years ago and with over 100 models under the belt plus all the ups and downs, it was good ride, actually it was one hell of a ride :).

Farewell.

Sincerely

Michael

gajit
August 18th, 2010, 02:16
RIP :salute:

I believe in reincarnation :jump:

CHBTheDoctor
August 18th, 2010, 02:30
I think, some aircraft from AlphaSim was my first online purchased flightsim product.

I even started 2 or 3 weeks ago to buy all of the planes from them that ever tempted me.

Some are still missing (the new Mentor, maybe the F -86 etc.)

But I hope they appear sooner or later under Virtavias brand...

...but as gajit said: I believe in reincarnation
(and when I see how much fun I have with the Islander, I'm quite confidend :applause: )

guzler
August 18th, 2010, 02:44
I've got many of their planes, love them all. Particular favourites - the hunter, blenheim & f-86

d0mokun
August 18th, 2010, 02:59
Oh how times change. For better or for worse!

The future is only ahead, so let us all look forward to whatever adventure may be in store for the new company.

Best
Dan.

noddy
August 18th, 2010, 03:12
I think, some aircraft from AlphaSim was my first online purchased flightsim product.

I even started 2 or 3 weeks ago to buy all of the planes from them that ever tempted me.

Some are still missing (the new Mentor, maybe the F -86 etc.)

But I hope they appear sooner or later under Virtavias brand...

...but as gajit said: I believe in reincarnation
(and when I see how much fun I have with the Islander, I'm quite confidend :applause: )

I think you find the models can be found over at Simmarket.

It is a shame, I have many of their models from CFS2, FS2002, FS2004 and FSX always enjoyed them. Alpha always did the more unusally aircraft which would otherwise not see the light of day, so I will miss them, but hopefully the new company will go from strength to strength.

Roger
August 18th, 2010, 04:28
Sad to see the brand go...my first payware aircraft was the Be2c for fs2002 (or was it Fs2000?) probably one of Michael's.
I hope Virtavia is as successful for Phil and team.

Lateral-G
August 18th, 2010, 04:45
A sad day indeed.............

:salute:

-G-

Mithrin
August 18th, 2010, 05:00
I bought many many of their planes of which I liked most! I wish them luck with whatever they decide to do next. Thanks for all the cool stuff!

Cag40Navy
August 18th, 2010, 05:57
Sad day indeed.

blazefox2
August 18th, 2010, 06:00
wow.....

expat
August 18th, 2010, 07:13
I bought many many of their planes of which I liked most! I wish them luck with whatever they decide to do next. Thanks for all the cool stuff!

Sums it up very well. I am sad as they always seemed to be reading my mind and made the planes I wished for most - even if these were not the most mainstream or popular. I have by far more Alphasim payware planes than any other by a long shot.

Thanks Phil and the many other talented modellers for so many hours of - continuing - enjoyment.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1051/hootersf.png (http://img708.imageshack.us/i/hootersf.png/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

AndyE1976
August 18th, 2010, 07:41
They posted a short while ago about the Virtavia branding of Alphasim titles that had started to appear on other sites, so the name change wasn't unexpected. To me this looks like a restructure and refocus under a new name than the disappearance of a company. They even say that the same team is working under the Virtavia name.

I have the AS Hunter and Tornado and they are both high quality aircraft, so I'll definitely be looking out for their aircraft reappearing under Virtavia branding so I can add to that collection. I noticed a few are already available. The new Virtavia offerings are looking very good and I'm particularly looking forward to the Jaguar and the AS C17 getting a VC.

Good luck to them!

michael davies
August 18th, 2010, 07:41
Dang I miss that bird so bad in FSx !, gotta be the sexiest carrier based aircraft of all time.

You just keep poking me with images of the Vigi as much as you like :).

Kindest

Michael

Sums it up very well. I am sad as they always seemed to be reading my mind and made the planes I wished for most - even if these were not the most mainstream or popular. I have by far more Alphasim payware planes than any other by a long shot.

Thanks Phil and the many other talented modellers for so many hours of - continuing - enjoyment.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1051/hootersf.png (http://img708.imageshack.us/i/hootersf.png/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

michael davies
August 18th, 2010, 07:47
They posted a short while ago about the Virtavia branding of Alphasim titles that had started to appear on other sites, so the name change wasn't unexpected. To me this looks like a restructure and refocus under a new name than the disappearance of a company. They even say that the same team is working under the Virtavia name.

I have the AS Hunter and Tornado and they are both high quality aircraft, so I'll definitely be looking out for their aircraft reappearing under Virtavia branding so I can add to that collection. I noticed a few are already available. The new Virtavia offerings are looking very good and I'm particularly looking forward to the Jaguar and the AS C17 getting a VC.

Good luck to them!

Correct, but the name Alphasim and Ltd company associated with it ceases to exist from today and with it a lot of history, don't know about other folks, but the thought of working for the new 'team' just isn't the same, theres no lineage, no history, no depth, sure they will develop a new 'ambiance' but the old one for all its faults had a good feel about it.

I suppose its one of those 'you had to be there' situations.

expat
August 18th, 2010, 08:01
You just keep poking me with images of the Vigi as much as you like

Think you have got a deal Michael. One of these days we might get a new one!

peter12213
August 18th, 2010, 08:23
VERY SAD NEWS!!!

conork
August 18th, 2010, 08:27
its sad to see alphasim gone ..but i hope virtavia will be as good as :L ....the fs2004 seaking was the first payware model ive ever bought .....now im happy to be flying it in its latest virtavia form in fsx :)

Jim Brown
August 18th, 2010, 08:54
That's really too bad. Hope they do well with Virtavia.

Does this mean that they will release more of their models [particularly the F-101] as freeware? I'm saving for a new rig, can't afford planes at the moment :(

mal998
August 18th, 2010, 10:31
Per AS management,

"the majority of those products previously sold here with the AlphaSim brand name will still be available under the 'Virtavia' brand at all leading flightsim addon sites, "

centuryseries
August 18th, 2010, 10:41
Having been there since 2003 I concur with Michael - you had to be there to understand how it feels! It was a roller coaster at times :salute:

While it is a sad day, it's also a positive one. I'm positive that with the line-up there is a good team under Virtavia.

Here's to the future:wiggle:

blazefox2
August 18th, 2010, 10:44
unfortunately their products still seem a tad overpriced....

michael davies
August 18th, 2010, 10:53
unfortunately their products still seem a tad overpriced....

Sadly there is only one remedy for that, if enough people are buying at the given price then it isnt over priced in the grand scale of things, it might be over priced for a great many, but its not going to be over priced to those that do actually pay those prices.

When enough people do not buy because of prices then I'm sure the pricing will need addressing, but currently it appears that enough people buy at these prices to not warrent a change in pricing policy.

It is the market that drives the pricing, nothing else.

Kindest

Michael

michael davies
August 18th, 2010, 10:54
Having been there since 2003 I concur with Michael - you had to be there to understand how it feels! It was a roller coaster at times :salute:

While it is a sad day, it's also a positive one. I'm positive that with the line-up there is a good team under Virtavia.

Here's to the future:wiggle:

2003 !, new boy !! LOL, I remember when you joined, damn that was a long time ago :).

Sincerely

Michael

Paul K
August 18th, 2010, 11:32
Loved the Alphasim Hustler, Halifax/Halton, Hampden, and the B-36 wasn't half bad either. There were some not-so-brilliant models too, but the sheer range they came out with guaranteed there was something for everyone.

centuryseries
August 18th, 2010, 11:52
Loved the Alphasim Hustler, Halifax/Halton, Hampden, and the B-36 wasn't half bad either. There were some not-so-brilliant models too, but the sheer range they came out with guaranteed there was something for everyone.

So you'll be interested in this native FSX one then?

Obviously still work in progress.

Yeah Michael, seems a long time ago - to think I've only released 5 aircraft types in that time :jump: I'm clearly slow!!

Mickey D
August 18th, 2010, 12:02
2001 was when I joined AS and I echo Michael,Dan and David. It was a hell of a roller coaster ride, bit bumpy at times ;) but one not to be missed. Phil gave many of us our first shot at the FS dev world and for that I say " Thanks Phil and good fortune in the new venture."

michael davies
August 18th, 2010, 13:01
So you'll be interested in this native FSX one then?

Obviously still work in progress.

Yeah Michael, seems a long time ago - to think I've only released 5 aircraft types in that time :jump: I'm clearly slow!!

Slow is not necessarily a bad thing, your screen shot clearly backs that statement up :).

Best

Michael

centuryseries
August 18th, 2010, 13:23
Slow is not necessarily a bad thing, your screen shot clearly backs that statement up :).

Best

Michael

Thanks Michael, can't wait to see her in authentic livery again.

polygoon
August 18th, 2010, 14:50
Yep, working for Alpha has been a real treat, an experience I wouldn't want to miss for the world.
I loved the atmosphere of mutual respect. Even if it was rough at times, it was also a great learning experience.

Is it over? Who knows?!
Sometimes you just have to stare reality straight into the eye -

and deny it...!!! :jump:

Gdavis101
August 18th, 2010, 15:07
Sad day, just glad that their stuff will continue to be available. :salute:

fsafranek
August 18th, 2010, 18:25
I suppose its one of those 'you had to be there' situations.
I has been an interesting ride. Some very busy times and some slower times. I did my first beta testing for Alphasim's early Mirage releases back in 2000. After a couple years of that and painting the later Mirages for free my first paid project was the B-24J Gunship back in early 2002. From there is been a lot of fun. I look forward to many more years.
:ernae:

Cactuskid
August 18th, 2010, 19:12
That is sad... I have so many of their models, and even some of their scenery packages like Roosevelt Roads NAS and Bien Hoa AB. I find myself returning to fly their aircraft like the Long EZ, B-36, B-47, and Thud more often than most others models. Let's hope that Virtavia keeps up the good work...

Will Virtavia offer customer/technical support on Alpha's existing models?

centuryseries
August 19th, 2010, 09:34
That is sad... I have so many of their models, and even some of their scenery packages like Roosevelt Roads NAS and Bien Hoa AB. I find myself returning to fly their aircraft like the Long EZ, B-36, B-47, and Thud more often than most others models. Let's hope that Virtavia keeps up the good work...

Will Virtavia offer customer/technical support on Alpha's existing models?

I believe so yes using our ticket system.

tommieboy
August 19th, 2010, 10:53
Yep sad to see the company name go; still don't really understand what the real benefit of this is.

In FS9 I got the best overall frame rates (and flight hours) with the B-36, and the most complaints from the family in regards to the sound package. The B-36 (using Active Camera's "fly-by" option) rattled the whole house. The family dog wasn't too happy with the B-36 sound package either. A big thanks to Phil for adding the B model to the line-up too after the fact.

Tommy