PDA

View Full Version : The Envidia GTX 465 or 470 anyone??

gera
August 16th, 2010, 07:32
My disk blew up yesterday so a revamp will be in order. I am thinking in also changing my video card. Does anyone use the Envidia GTX 465??? or should I go for the 470???

Thanks.

rohan
August 16th, 2010, 08:02
If you insist on buying an NVidia card, then the GTX 460 has the best combination of price and performance - specifically, the Palit Sonic Platinum 1024MB card seems about the most capable,
Ro

falcon409
August 16th, 2010, 08:25
If you insist on buying an NVidia card, then the GTX 460 has the best combination of price and performance - specifically, the Palit Sonic Platinum 1024MB card seems about the most capable,
Ro
lol, "if you insist"? Pretty funny rohan, what a joker, lol

Bjoern
August 16th, 2010, 10:15
"Envidia", lol...

Go for the 460 or 470. The 460 has the new GF104 chip and uses less power than the 465 while being just about as fast.

The 470 is faster, more expensive, needs more power and gets hotter than the 460.
Or go ATI and get the 5850. It's about as fast as the GTX470.

Your call,Gera.

gera
August 16th, 2010, 11:33
"Envidia", lol...

Go for the 460 or 470. The 460 has the new GF104 chip and uses less power than the 465 while being just about as fast.

The 470 is faster, more expensive, needs more power and gets hotter than the 460.
Or go ATI and get the 5850. It's about as fast as the GTX470.

Your call,Gera.

Hi amigo, have ordered the GTX470, looks fine...I tend to stay with Nvidia..."You now what Envidia some will have".LOL....that nice Spanish Language hu!
:jump:.......tonight after setting up the new disks (got 2 x500) cheap as dirt!!!! ,and re-installing FSX....what a hassle, IŽll feel better......really hate disks, lousy technology at this date......

Lewis-A2A
August 16th, 2010, 12:10
The 1GB or better 2GB 460 is pretty much the mid range card of choice, beats the 465 and 470 :ernae:

Recently picked up the MSI Cyclone 460 myself

Bjoern
August 17th, 2010, 07:13
Hi amigo, have ordered the GTX470, looks fine...I tend to stay with Nvidia...

Oh, okay. If money didn't play a role I'd have gone for the 470 as well.

From my personal experience, NVidia used to be better for FSX but with all the small workarounds for quirky ATI behaviour that have come up lately and the current 5xxx cards it seems a viable alternative now.

"You now what Envidia some will have".LOL....that nice Spanish Language hu!

Never mind the "Envidia" comment, Gera. Just a bad joke. :d

...really hate disks, lousy technology at this date......

Yeah. Hard drives are really kind of a bottleneck at this date.
I wish SSDs were more affordable...

OleBoy
August 17th, 2010, 07:19

My sediments exactly. And they need to be higher capacity!!

gera
August 17th, 2010, 07:23
Oh, okay. If money didn't play a role I'd have gone for the 470 as well.

From my personal experience, NVidia used to be better for FSX but with all the small workarounds for quirky ATI behaviour that have come up lately and the current 5xxx cards it seems a viable alternative now.

Never mind the "Envidia" comment, Gera. Just a bad joke. :d

...There is an old song called "Envidia" too you know....I know you were joking, but I have always wondered if it was not a Spaniard who started the company and liked the old Envidia song so he just took off the "E" for those cards...:pop4:

give two years and youŽll see the prices of SSDs go to the bottom and their capacity go up....

Bjoern
August 17th, 2010, 07:43
...There is an old song called "Envidia" too you know....I know you were joking, but I have always wondered if it was not a Spaniard who started the company and liked the old Envidia song so he just took off the "E" for those cards...:pop4:

Wikipedia says this:

The company's name combines an initial n (a letter usable as a pronumeral in mathematical statements) and the root of video (from Latin videre, "to see"), thus implying "the best visual experience" or perhaps "immeasurable display." The sound of the name Nvidia suggests "envy" (Spanish: eNVIDIA; Latin, Italian, or Romanian: iNVIDIA); and NVIDIA's GeForce 8 series product (manufactured 2006-2008) used the slogan "Green with envy."

So you're not that far off with your assumption. :d

give two years and youŽll see the prices of SSDs go to the bottom and their capacity go up....

If their life expectancy does as well I'll be more than glad.

kilo delta
August 17th, 2010, 09:19
If their life expectancy does as well I'll be more than glad.

I've been running SSD's since early 2008 and no problems here :)..... though should they fail there'll probably be no warning and not a chance of retrieving data from them (for a reasonable cost that is).

Bjoern
August 17th, 2010, 13:00
I've been running SSD's since early 2008 and no problems here :)..... though should they fail there'll probably be no warning and not a chance of retrieving data from them (for a reasonable cost that is).

Yeah, the "no warning" part is what's worrying me. A HDD usually doesn't fail within a minute.