PDA

View Full Version : If you add this to MAW, you'll get a new nationality!

ndicki
August 15th, 2010, 06:18
Which you might not have known about. Croatia has its own entry in the country.xml, but unless you've realised that, it'll be dormant. This will wake it up for you!

Bf109g-14 AM of the Independent State of Croatia Air Force, Zagreb, early 1945. It might possibly have been drawn from stocks destined for the Bulgarian Air Force, as the areas overpainted on the fuselage and wings would be largely unnecessary if the aircraft had been wearing German markings. Another mystery...

The eagle-eyed who know about Bf109s will find a little technical detail which sets this aircraft apart and above the other g-14s I've uploaded. Anybody?

HouseHobbit
August 15th, 2010, 06:26
:jump: WOW!!!
TOO COOL...
If I ever get his eastern front going well, it looks like it will be time for the Eastern European Countries set using your Bf 109's..
WOW.. :jump:

Then, I can crash and wreck all of these beautiful Birds properly..:jump:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all of this..:salute: :salute: :salute:

swpierce
August 15th, 2010, 06:58
Gun blisters?

ndicki
August 15th, 2010, 07:25
No - they are wheel blisters. During the production run of the G-2/G-4, larger wheels were introduced, and the blisters appeared. Theses remained unchanged though the G-6 to G-14 series, but were replaced by wider, oblong blisters during the G-10 production run, to house yet wider wheels.

greycap.raf
August 15th, 2010, 08:21
Theses remained unchanged though the G-6 to G-14 series, but were replaced by wider, oblong blisters during the G-10 production run, to house yet wider wheels.

...and from late 1944 when the "big wheels" were first seen on the G-10 they also began to appear on newly manufactured G-14s. I actually think they were originally intended for the G-14 but naturally found their way to the simultanoeusly produced G-10 and eventually the K-4 - and even to some factory repaired G-6s and G-8s.

Surprisingly I won't answer the quiz...

ndicki
August 15th, 2010, 08:39
And paradoxically, while they were converting G-14s to G-10s - the first G-10s, don't ask how many, were converted airframes - they were still producing G-14s. And the K-4 was also produced at the same time. Bf109 production from about 1943 onwards is a total mess...

But that's not it.

MajorMagee
August 16th, 2010, 02:15
Is it that some aircraft had the MW-50 delivered with pressure from bottled air, and others used compressor bleed?

ndicki
August 16th, 2010, 02:46
Now there, you really have got me! Rene will know.

ndicki
August 16th, 2010, 02:57
Is this available for download, anybody? I've got a feeling it's been missed out. The uploader can see it from the moment the upload has completed, but other people will not until Douglas has checked it as OK for downloading - so I can't tell whether it's up or not!

greycap.raf
August 16th, 2010, 06:06
Now there, you really have got me! Rene will know.

I don't know for sure but every aircraft had the same system, I'm willing to bet it's neither of those but a simple pump driven injection system comparable to fuel injection with the 118 litre tank being located behind the pilot. It was only liquid after all. GM-1 is another story altogether, it used pressurized air bottles in wing leading edges.

Is this available for download, anybody? I've got a feeling it's been missed out. The uploader can see it from the moment the upload has completed, but other people will not until Douglas has checked it as OK for downloading - so I can't tell whether it's up or not!

Not when writing this, 1405 GMT.

ndicki
August 16th, 2010, 06:30
OK, thanks. I guess there's a different administrator for each upload section, and Douglas must be having a well-earned bit of time off! No hurry.

MajorMagee
August 16th, 2010, 17:47
Link to Trials Testing Info (http://www.kurfurst.org/Performance_tests/109G14_May44trials/109G14_GLCE-may44_trials.html)

The G-14, noted in German type datasheets, was only diferring in that the MW-50 booster liquid was forced from the rear fuselage tank by compressed air tapped from the supercharger, in contrast of the solution used on the G-6, compressed air carried in pressurized onboard bottles. However, the G-14, and the fighter-recce model G-6/R2 had MW-50 boost as standard fitting as opposed to the G-6, which may or may not have been retrofitted with the kit.

greycap.raf
August 17th, 2010, 05:54
I'm beginning to believe the word shouldn't be "Nazis" but "Nutsies", who the hell builds one pressurized air line from the supercharger past the cockpit to the rear fuselage, a pressurized tank to hold the liquid and another line carrying the said liquid - pressurized again - back the same route when it could have been done with a small electric motor and one line?

The article is partially wrong in saying that G-14 was fitted with MW50 as standard, it wasn't. It was supposed to but many aircraft left the factory with a basic DB605A as the systems weren't available in sufficient numbers.

Oh, and it's available. It has appeared among older entries, there have been some later add-ons becoming visible before it.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=10&linkid=2399

ndicki
August 17th, 2010, 07:32
That's the problem with the way German technology progressed during the war - where Allied and Russian weapons remained technically as simple as possible in order to achieve the desired result, German designs, air and land, became incredibly complex. Just look for example at the interleaved road wheels on Panther and Tiger tanks. The same result was achieved far more simply and economically by the Western and Russian Christie-type suspension or sponsons. The proof of that being that nobody tried to copy German suspension after the war. It's the same wherever you look - too complex and too fragile. You get the idea in fact that each bit of the system, in whatever weapon you name, was designed by one person who didn't talk to the person developing the next element in the system.

Old Tiger
August 17th, 2010, 07:42
:wavey:Hey guys here's another Croatia plane. Right here in archives Fiat G.50 Freccia, Just change country name from Other_Axis_Nations to Croatia.:salute: