PDA

View Full Version : I Screwed Up Again.........

Scratch
August 14th, 2010, 18:33
I deleted my FSX.cfg because of major performance problems after updating an addon. Now I have some badly malformed aircraft and no textures when I start up FSX. I had this problem a while back and someone told me how to fix it, but I can't remember what I had to change in the config file.

HELP!!!

falcon409
August 14th, 2010, 19:08
I'm watching this one with great interest Scratch as I've deleted my cfg file several times in the past 6 months only to get the same weird appearing aircraft and textures. I never had this problem in the past, but lately it seems to be the norm. Thanks for asking the question!!:salute:

majorv
August 14th, 2010, 20:02
I deleted my FSX.cfg because of major performance problems after updating an addon. Now I have some badly malformed aircraft and no textures when I start up FSX. I had this problem a while back and someone told me how to fix it, but I can't remember what I had to change in the config file.

HELP!!!

Hmm... Did you by chance install bojote's 3.0 shaders? If so, your textures will not look right with a virgin fsx.cfg until you add the following line:

[GRAPHICS]
ALLOW_SHADER_30=1

In addition, you should add the following line and replace "x" with the next sequential number (like "2" if you are doing so for the first time) in order to rebuild your shader:

[GRAPHICS]
SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=X

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Major V

Lateral-G
August 14th, 2010, 20:19
At least you're not getting the 'fatal error' on start-up like I am..........

That thing has been kicking my ass for the past two weeks.

-G-

Scratch
August 14th, 2010, 21:02
Hmm... Did you by chance install bojote's 3.0 shaders? If so, your textures will not look right with a virgin fsx.cfg until you add the following line:

[GRAPHICS]
ALLOW_SHADER_30=1

In addition, you should add the following line and replace "x" with the next sequential number (like "2" if you are doing so for the first time) in order to rebuild your shader:

[GRAPHICS]
SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=X

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Major V

It sure did work!! Thanks a bunch. Now all I have to do is figure out why I'm only getting 12-14fps. That was what I was working on when I deleted my config file.

falcon409
August 14th, 2010, 21:40
I'm gonna have to remember that. I had forgotten that I installed that as well. To be honest, I don't even know that I've seen any real advantage to it. Uninstalling it at this point is probably a good idea.:salute:

Ark
August 14th, 2010, 21:47
I'm gonna have to remember that. I had forgotten that I installed that as well. To be honest, I don't even know that I've seen any real advantage to it. Uninstalling it at this point is probably a good idea.:salute:

Be careful with the uninstall. I made backups of my SHADER file as well as my WaterConstants file and I ended up havig the same issue as the OP.

I later found out that uninstalling the add-on requires you to change that Shader_Cache setting again after uninstall. I originally reverted back to my back shader folder and backup waterconstants file, then deleted my FSX.CFG thinking I would be all squared away. NOPE. Had to put that Shader_Cache line back in the new CFG file and make up a new number.

Scratch
August 24th, 2010, 18:07
FSX is really starting to tick me off. I just installed the Caranado Caravan and I got the same problem I mentioned above. What is it with this shader crap and how do I exterminate it with extreme prejudice so I don't have to keep going through this:banghead::violent:

MudMarine
August 24th, 2010, 18:52
I'll tell you my experience but you won't like it Marine........my experience is that only a complete uninstall and fresh reinstall worked for me. I think I've done it so many times with FSX that I have it down to a science. Ah, those lovely FSX buggies!:barf::toilet:

heywooood
August 24th, 2010, 19:49
FSx will make you understand what a 'love/hate' relationship is...and isn't it funny how it can turn on you in a second.

this program should come with a whip and a chair
...a shot and a beer
...a monkey and a wrench
...a gun and a bible
...a rope and a tree

Ark
August 24th, 2010, 23:04
I'll tell you my experience but you won't like it Marine........my experience is that only a complete uninstall and fresh reinstall worked for me. I think I've done it so many times with FSX that I have it down to a science. Ah, those lovely FSX buggies!:barf::toilet:

To be completely honest, ever since I had that shader mod installed, and subsequently removed it, FSX has never really "worked" the same. I get wierd graphics glitches one in a while.

I think I am going to need to do a fresh install soon. Ugh........better turn in my 1 week vacation request at work now. lol

rohan
August 24th, 2010, 23:48
I have no idea whether it will help with any of the problems related here, but the following quote is from post #6 of this thread -
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=41633

When you restart FSX it will build a new fsx.cfg and a new standard.xml. (a personal annoyance of mine is that you see many people advising that you let fsx rebuild the fsx.cfg but you never see them mention that it will wipe out your standard.xml file as well).

Perhaps some or all of these problems are caused by the changes to the standard.xml file when you originally got FSX to recreate your FSX.cfg file ...
Hope it helps,
Ro

Daube
August 25th, 2010, 00:43
FSX is really starting to tick me off. I just installed the Caranado Caravan and I got the same problem I mentioned above. What is it with this shader crap and how do I exterminate it with extreme prejudice so I don't have to keep going through this:banghead::violent:

You have deleted your FSX.cfg and created a new one.
I assume you didn't put any tweaks in it, and that might just be the problem.
Apply at least the tweaks from Jesus Altuve, especially the one that deactivates the bufferpools.
The malformed aircrafts are usually a consequence of an incorrect communication between the sim and the video card, and this is directly depending on the bufferpools. If the bufferpools are incorrectly set, then aircraft will not display right. Since you deleted your FSX.cfg, the bufferpools went back to 4 millions as default, and this value might be problematic with your actual computer.

Naismith
August 25th, 2010, 02:42
To be completely honest, ever since I had that shader mod installed, and subsequently removed it, FSX has never really "worked" the same. I get wierd graphics glitches one in a while.

I get that too and it only now occured to me that this happened after that tweak. It is a bit like a glare effect which only happens on initial boot of sim or immediately after changing a/c. Only lasts for a second or two then settles back to normal.

Scratch
August 25th, 2010, 03:43
I will see if Jesus can save me before I do a re install. Thanks again guys.

Daube
August 25th, 2010, 04:39
Reinstalling won't help.
Your issue is only in the FSX.cfg. Tweak it.

MudMarine
August 25th, 2010, 04:43

Praying doesn't work....tried it.

MudMarine
August 25th, 2010, 04:45
Reinstalling won't help.
Your issue is only in the FSX.cfg. Tweak it.

I don't agree. A complete reinstall worked for me. I make a copy of the fresh cfg and save it. Worked/works for me.

txnetcop
August 25th, 2010, 04:58
ROFL Hey Scratch Jesus will save ya if ya ask but that won't fix your FSX!!! So I guess you have to decide what you want most at the moment. LOL Tweak that config again. Go over it with a fine-toothed comb.
Ted

txnetcop
August 25th, 2010, 05:02
I don't agree. A complete reinstall worked for me. I make a copy of the fresh cfg and save it. Worked/works for me.

Hey Mud if you had left the curse words out of your prayer about FSX it might have worked but a reinstall always works best as you have already seen. Heck I used to totally overhaul all my software on all my computers every two years because little bugs that show up.

Scratch
August 25th, 2010, 13:10
I reckon I cussed too much too as I am, like Mud, one of the condemned. So I poured myself a triple shot of Laphroaig and deleted FSX and FS9.

Pepere
August 25th, 2010, 13:47
I had a problem like that once and was told to change the "SHADDER_CACHE_VERSION" in GRAPHICS fsx.cfg. My oraginal number was 9872430 and I changed it to 9972439 and all was back to normal (what every that may be). I think it does not mater what number you change it to but when you change it, it forces fsx to reload or recompile something.

As you can tell I'm NOT sure on this but it does have something to do with shaders!

David

txnetcop
August 25th, 2010, 14:30
I reckon I cussed too much too as I am, like Mud, one of the condemned. So I poured myself a triple shot of Laphroaig and deleted FSX and FS9.
While I dearly love my FSX have you tried Rise of Flight...awesome!

Scratch
August 25th, 2010, 16:49
While I dearly love my FSX have you tried Rise of Flight...awesome!

Yes indeed! I have had it since it first came out and have bought every a/c they have released. It is my favorite flight sim by a long shot. I can't wait till the bombers and two seaters are flyable this fall:jump:

Scratch
August 26th, 2010, 18:07
Well, I got the beast installed again, but I have no shiny aluminum textures. They all look gray. I also have no panel on the new Caravan. The gauges and switches are there, but nothing else. Even the inside roof of the a/c isn't there. What the hell is causing this now?

Daube
August 27th, 2010, 01:36
Did you install the SPs again ?

Scratch
August 27th, 2010, 03:05
Did you install the SPs again ?

No, just Acceleration. Aren't the SPs in there?

Daube
August 27th, 2010, 04:50
Yes Acceleration is enough.
Did you deactivate the antivirus before the installation, and launch the installation as administrator ?