PDA

View Full Version : Strange route to the new Solomons '43 scenery.

FAC257
August 14th, 2010, 10:43
DL'd the new Solomons scenery and really looking forward to seeing what it looks like.

Made it into Inverness, Scotland last night while checking out a new landclass scenery for Scotland. So this morning I plugged a direct GPS course into AYPY for use as a good large airport to jet into before flying retro into the Solomons.

The GPS pulled up this pretty cool but whacky routing flight plan. Would have never guessed that this is what the direct route would look like. :)

Been flying since dawn in a USAF C-22B and currently about 1 hour from the first decent for refuel.

FAC

roger-wilco-66
August 14th, 2010, 11:37
On a sphere, the shortest route between two points gives you a curve depending on how you project it :-)

FAC257
August 14th, 2010, 11:49
I was expecting the arc, but not one that took me so far north first. It's really interesting the way that works out sometimes.

Really looking forward to finally getting to see your new creation in person.

I may try to get a little closer before the end of today's flying so that it won't be such a long haul tomorrow.

FAC

mfitch
August 14th, 2010, 17:21
Many direct routes go over a pole. They are not considered safe for commercial aviation. I presume because of the lack of emergency landing locations. Locally there is one summer only carrier that uses a northern route (not quite over the pole). It is nearly a day shorter than the indirect routes (counting layovers).