PDA

View Full Version : B-29s w/o turrets

burcham8
August 9th, 2010, 11:21
Guys,
Is there a model to allow the B-29s we've been seeing of late on the forum to have no turrets?

Marc

Sopwith Chameleon
August 10th, 2010, 01:04
Er ........ no

:frown:

Jagdflieger
August 10th, 2010, 04:07
Gnoopy's original B-29 had two versions; one with and one without turrets.

I've still got the original files for the turetless version and if there is enough interest, I can send it to our resident B-29 guru, Ghostrider for his B-29 projects.

Sopwith Chameleon
August 10th, 2010, 05:45
Gnoopy's original B-29 had two versions; one with and one without turrets.

I've still got the original files for the turetless version and if there is enough interest, I can send it to our resident B-29 guru, Ghostrider for his B-29 projects.

:salute: .........that would be good Dave,

Jim

Ghostrider
August 10th, 2010, 07:45
I'm in! - SC, would you be willing to shine that model like you did with the first ones? Then it's just a matter of adding the panel, sound and skins - I'm guessing the texture mapping is the same? Would that also allow us to do some black undersurface skins, as I remember the turrets were the obstacle to that?

Sopwith Chameleon
August 10th, 2010, 08:04
I'm in! - SC, would you be willing to shine that model like you did with the first ones? Then it's just a matter of adding the panel, sound and skins - I'm guessing the texture mapping is the same? Would that also allow us to do some black undersurface skins, as I remember the turrets were the obstacle to that?

...........Roger that :wiggle:

Jim

tonybones2112
August 10th, 2010, 08:33
This was a question and a request I put in for when I first joined SOH. The daylight raids being a repeat of the costly European raids, Gen. Lemay then ordered that the B-29s be stripped of turrets except for the tail guns, many of the undersurfaces painted black, and the HE bombs replaced with incendiaries and the bombing done at altitudes of 5-7000 feet at night. This is what really broke the back of Japanese war-industry, the atom bombs being a propaganda demonstration. These bombers were the real targets of the Irving, Nick, Raiden, Ginga, and other Japanese nightfighters. After ten years now of CFS2 I am surprised no one has produced this variation of the B-29, the one that really won the war in the Pacific.

Bonesimoto

Jagdflieger
August 10th, 2010, 14:03
Turetless B-29 is on the way to GH for some of his magic.

Gnoopy's B-29 Mania lives on!

kelticheart
August 10th, 2010, 15:13
Turetless B-29 is on the way to GH for some of his magic.

Gnoopy's B-29 Mania lives on!

YEAH! :jump:

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

bearcat241
August 10th, 2010, 15:50
...here's a place to find some interesting readings on their operations in China, India and the Pacific, as well as other CBI, SEAC, and Pacific Theater Army AF subjects:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/V/index.html#contents

Ghostrider
August 10th, 2010, 16:51
What a great resource, BC! Working on Silverplate B-29 - texture mapping is the same on the fuselage, but diferrent on the wings and tail...

Ghostrider
August 19th, 2010, 09:31
Turretless "Silverplate" B-29Bs, and those with black undersurfaces are done, thanks to Sopwith Chameleon saving the day with the texture mapping on Gnoopey's old model! He's made templates for these aircraft, and other new skins by SC and myself to follow over the next couple of days - stay tuned!

tonybones2112
August 19th, 2010, 12:15
Turretless "Silverplate" B-29Bs, and those with black undersurfaces are done, thanks to Sopwith Chameleon saving the day with the texture mapping on Gnoopey's old model! He's made templates for these aircraft, and other new skins by SC and myself to follow over the next couple of days - stay tuned!

Banzai! You guys are great. I'm changing the oil in the Irving right now...

Bonesimoto

Ghostrider
August 19th, 2010, 12:19
Banzai! You guys are great. I'm changing the oil in the Irving right now...

Bonesimoto

You'll need more than an oil change TB! :jump:

And of course, there's a new DP to reflect the twin .50's in the tail...

And .AIR with 4,000 pounds less weight, and 8 MPH faster!

tonybones2112
August 19th, 2010, 20:38
You'll need more than an oil change TB! :jump:

And of course, there's a new DP to reflect the twin .50's in the tail...

And .AIR with 4,000 pounds less weight, and 8 MPH faster!

GR, you're talking to a man who is eat up on Microprose SILENT SERVICE 2. I had a damaged engine and tracked a convoy for three days and sank 8 tankers on the most difficult level. I got some kind of little mention from MC. I do a thing in campaigns and QC with bombers a bit faster than me, it's called The Bunny Hop. Dive shallow and climb, dive shallow and climb. It's slow but I can catch up, and take out an engine and you can pick off the straggler. I'll get that Irving under one of these new puppies:japan:

Bonesimoto