PDA

View Full Version : HDD Recommendations

Dain Arns
August 8th, 2010, 02:41
Been hearing a soft little mechanical 'plink' when loading scenery while running FSX over the past couple days.
I'm figuring the drive is starting to go.
Seems like I go through drives I have FSX on. :frown:

Sooo...
I need a recommendation on a good internal SATA drive.
Not a place to go look for one.
Yes, I have looked at Tiger Direct, Newegg, etc.
I'm asking for info on drives you've had good results with.
(If you want to link, that would be much appreciated though.)

Here's the #1 rule:
Needs to be cheap.
I'm on a real tight budget these days, so under $100, please.

Would like to have something over 500GB too.
And at least 7200rpm, if possible. Really possible.

Thanks! :wavey:

dswo
August 8th, 2010, 02:56
I've used Western Digital Caviar BLACK in a couple of builds: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=western+digital+caviar+black&x=0&y=0.

mmann
August 8th, 2010, 04:50
I've used Western Digital Caviar BLACK in a couple of builds: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=western+digital+caviar+black&x=0&y=0.

Definitely a great choice! My last two builds have used these drives and the one with FSX gets a real good work out because I reinstall FSX and Acceleration every few weeks to start off fresh again.

Regards, Mike Mann

Dain Arns
August 8th, 2010, 08:14
Okay, I like the specs on that one, and the prices.
Might actually be able to spring for a larger capacity one at the end of the week. (As long as this one holds out for a week.)
Somehow this one didn't come up in my search early this morning, glad you all recommended it.
Thanks David and Mike. :wavey:

stansdds
August 8th, 2010, 09:37
Another vote for the WD Caviar Black.

wiltzei
August 8th, 2010, 10:02
Be sure to get WD1002FAEX, newest revision of 1TB Caviar Black, if you´re going for WD. 5 year warranty, reasonably fast, pretty loud.

txnetcop
August 8th, 2010, 10:02
Western Digital Black have proven to be more reliable at TechCorp since 2006. So they have my vote

Bjoern
August 8th, 2010, 10:07
If money is an issue: Samsung SpinPoint F1.

mmann
August 8th, 2010, 10:23
I found it interesting that the local store I buy my hardware from ONLY sells Western Digital now. They used to sell Seagate and Samsung as well but dropped them.

Regards, Mike Mann