PDA

View Full Version : Been a long time - need a CFS 2 fix

gigabyte
August 5th, 2010, 18:48
OK Ladies & Gentlemen, it has been a long time since I took to the CFS 2 skies, but I am feeling the need for a fix (I just hope I can find the CD's and such???). Now because it has been several years (3-5) since I had the game loaded I would like to get an idea of a few of the more current "must have" add on's, I am scanning the threads in this section but if anyone has suggestions on some of the better Add on's Ole Gig would be most grateful.

alpha_1
August 5th, 2010, 20:54
Hiya! Welcome back! To tell the truth there are so many fantastic addons now I wouldn't know where to begin.

This sim has come a long way from the box, as I'm sure you're aware. There are many fantastic missions and campaigns, aircraft, objects, scenery, sounds.....best just dust off those CD's and get crackin'! I know yer gonna be pleasantly surprised.

Not only that, but there's a lot of wisdom here at the outhouse, too......always good to make use of it when you get into trouble.

Cheers!:wavey:

TARPSBird
August 5th, 2010, 23:06
It's hard to suggest where to get started, but a good beginning would be to replace the default CFS2 aircraft with the overhauled versions produced by The B-24 Guy. He has made many improvements to the planes, including de-mirrored textures so insignia and lettering are correct on both sides of the fuselage and top/bottom wing surfaces. After that you may want to add a few of MaskRider's excellent airfields. Those two projects alone will keep ya busy for a while. Also there are lots of great aircraft add-ons for any nationality and geographic area you're interested in. Welcome back, and have fun! :)

mariereid
August 6th, 2010, 05:27
Welcome back, Gig. Once ya get going, you are going to be stunned at what the guys have done to this sim. I have at least a dozen flight sims in my drawer but only cfs2 is installed. I know you have a lot of pc skills, so you should not run into too many problems. Just let us know if you run into a problem or can't find an item. Thanks for all the work you do here.:salute::ernae:

Discus
August 6th, 2010, 06:25
First thing firts

As everyone says: there are many many things to dl and install that will take your CFS2 experience above the clouds.

But, in order to reduce the amount of time needed to have your, or yours, CFS2 up to date and running I would suggest, firts of all, to think and decide what theatre of operation you would like to fly. ETO, PTO, MTO, AFR, Korea, etc.

That way youŽll reduce amount of files to dl and install: mesh, coastlines, water textures, scenery objects, airbases, ships, aircrafts, skins, engine sounds, radio sounds, world sounds, vehicles, etc..

I would start by dl ETO or PTO scenery install guides by Rami. It includes guides to properly install mesh, coastlines, textures and some bases. And in case of PTO look also at Maskrider page. Then the campaigns (wich includes . With the campaigns in mind you narrow your search. After having all running, correcting possible bugs and experiencing the pleasure to fly, then building your CFS2 from that point.

At this point, before continuing, look for multiple installs, and always have a fresh untouched out of the box CFS2 install.

Cheers, Discus:salute:

gigabyte
August 7th, 2010, 00:03
Thanks so much folks, I was getting all excited and dug out my old KB mappings for the Zboard (man I love that thing) and downloaded a few of my old fav aircraft - BUT it looks like I hit a snag :banghead: the install "borked" at 89%. It looks like CD 2 has had it, I am trying some of my extreme Disk Repair tricks (I move up to the Furniture Polish next) and if that does not work I will be running recon on the used game bins for a replacement copy. Funny thing is I did have two copies already, I bought one and was given one as a door prize so there is probably a second set around here somewhere but I know I will never find it in the mess downstairs.

I don't give up easy so I will either get this disk fixed up or find a new one, just means I have to settle for blasting Aliens for a bit longer.

Jagdflieger
August 7th, 2010, 06:10
Good luck with the search Gigabyte. It'll be worth the effort to find it.

For some new CFS 2 scenery check out the Tinian Island thread by Maskrider and the Madrid thread by Gius.