PDA

View Full Version : What is your Favorite branch of the Military?

Rattler
August 4th, 2010, 16:34
I would very much like to know everyones Favorite Branch of the Military, THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWER

:salute::salute::salute:

Pepere
August 4th, 2010, 16:42
USAF - Seeings I'm retired from the Air Force..... :salute:

Navy Chief
August 4th, 2010, 16:43
Er............guess.

Navy Chief

PRB
August 4th, 2010, 16:47
The Militant Wing of the Salvation Army!

Ok, just kidding.

I was in the USN, so I'm with the Chief.

modelr
August 4th, 2010, 16:50
USAF, 1969-1973, E-5 Munitions Maintainance. (Bomb Dump, Flightline delivery midnight crew chief.)

Cag40Navy
August 4th, 2010, 16:55
Navy and Air Force. I like both.

Matt Wynn
August 4th, 2010, 17:02
(British) ARMY of course... Parachute Regiment in Particular ;)

Cazzie
August 4th, 2010, 17:14
I'm with Chief, ole Navy here.

Caz

Helldiver
August 4th, 2010, 17:20
Well, I'm not too much in favor of the Air Force since we haven't won a war since the got away from being the Army Air Force. They were much better when they were, "Down we dive, spouting our flames from under" than, "We took the blue from the skies and a pretty girls eyes".
The Army is just a bunch of ground pounders and why march when you don't have to? The Navy provide free transportation. As far as Marines go, they're the guys who were'nt smart enough make it the Navy.
For those reasons, I go NAVY - all the way!

VCN-1
August 4th, 2010, 17:23
US Navy

VCN-1

Ken Stallings
August 4th, 2010, 17:36
Well, I just retired from the USAF after 24 years of service .... so it sure ain't the Army!!! :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Ken

CG_1976
August 4th, 2010, 17:41
USCG and the CAF 440Sq of course:salute:

warchild
August 4th, 2010, 17:44
Wellll, i was Army, and My dad was Navy, but i think i like the coast guard the best since they save lives instead of take them for the most part..

JAllen
August 4th, 2010, 18:06
Navy or USAF and a lousy swimmer so 22yrs Air Force 328X3. Maybe when I am 80+ I'll find a way to insult all the other services too.

MudMarine
August 4th, 2010, 18:11
I wonder what mine might be.......hmmmm, let's see.........thinking?????? We don't need the Air Force, we have our own!!

polygoon
August 4th, 2010, 18:20
These answers are all wrong. It said at the beginning of this thread that there is no right answer...
(Duck and run...:running:)

bkeske
August 4th, 2010, 18:34
USAF

BOOM
August 4th, 2010, 18:50
Tailhooks forever Baby!!! :salute:
Anytime.......Anyplace!!!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/badaboom/f-18-ef-usnhornt-s.jpg

glennc
August 4th, 2010, 19:25
Retired USAF, 26 years. I'm prejudiced.

txnetcop
August 4th, 2010, 19:42
U.S. Army Airborne Ranger HOOOOOAHHHHHH!!!!

Flyboy208
August 4th, 2010, 19:55
Well, I salute all that serve or have served, especially those of the "Greatest Generation"! Me, did 8 years in the US Navy with Hornets. Dad did 6 as a Doctor with 82nd Airborne in the mid-sixties. My Uncle flew B-17's in WWII and S/A-16's during the 50's and 60's with the USAF.

As a kid I was good friends with a gent named Tracy B. Matthewson who flew everything the USAF had to offer as a Test Pilot - P-51's, Sabres, Bird Dog's, The Bell X-2, U-2's, F-15's and so many more. He and Chuck Yeager knew each other well.

No Marines in my Family yet, but I have alot of respect for what the have done.

Sorry, can't pick a favourite - so many have sacrificed for the greater good.

Mike :salute:

Alan_A
August 4th, 2010, 20:20
Coast Guard - my father's branch.

Aviator32
August 4th, 2010, 21:23
The Wrens

NWarty
August 4th, 2010, 22:26
US Army - Field Artillery here

What's great about the Corps, the Swabees and us groundpounders is that all we all hate the USAF! Then again, we hate Army pilots too. :D

The latest phrase from last month's field problem: "Planes and helicopters are cool, pilots are d..ks" :D

[ducks and runs for cover] :a1310:

Northwest Artillery

Naismith
August 4th, 2010, 22:29
The Wrens

I'm with you. WooHoo!

luckydog
August 4th, 2010, 22:39
'69 - '77

MudMarine
August 4th, 2010, 23:06
I love all my veteran brothers and sisters. God bless the true defenders of the US Constitution!!:salute::salute::salute:

vora
August 4th, 2010, 23:30
Army, Paratroops... we took-off in planes but were too afraid to land with 'em- :p:
Navy, Air Force... nice, but if you wanna accomplish anything you need boots on the ground.

Crusader
August 5th, 2010, 02:53
Active duty USMC but retired from the USAF Reserves but the best quote I've seen here so far has to be Mud's ; " I love all my veteran brothers and sisters. God bless the true defenders of the US Constitution!! "

Semper Fi ,

Rich

jmig
August 5th, 2010, 03:58
My dad was one of Hell diver's Army Air Corps guys. So, I went USAF.

jim
August 5th, 2010, 03:58
Army Infantry (leg); to include Mass National Guard, 26th Inf. Div. 22+ years

LCBORDEN
August 5th, 2010, 06:07
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS.....all the rest are "Wanna B's" When you absolutely have to get the job done you call the Marines....nuff said

Semper Fi

Ol' Jarhead :salute: psst...also my respect and thanks to all those that served no matter what branch

Bjoern
August 5th, 2010, 07:00
Army; Tanks.

Everything else is for sissies.

;)

Warrant
August 5th, 2010, 08:27
<<-- Look at my avatar and guess :salute:

wantok
August 5th, 2010, 09:55
Son #1 Marine, son #2 Air Force. No question when it comes to favorite.:salute::salute:

Bushpounder
August 5th, 2010, 11:32
My favorite branch is the one that starts with United States ..........:applause:

Don

scotsman
August 5th, 2010, 11:37
As a former Leopard tamer, I agree to Bjoern

Mike

Gregory Paul
August 5th, 2010, 12:30

starlifter
August 5th, 2010, 12:45
14668 USAF

Bjoern
August 5th, 2010, 13:19
As a former Leopard tamer, I agree to Bjoern

Cool, what batallion?

L93 for me.

frankwi
August 5th, 2010, 14:01
Step-dad, grandpa, ex-father-in-law, all retired USAF.

Nephew, just got out of the Air Force after 12 years.

My son, currently E-5 serving in USAF Security Forces at Bagram AB, Afghanistan.

Me, USAF E-5 PMEL Tech 76-82.

I have great respect for ANYONE who wore the uniform for the USA !

scotsman
August 5th, 2010, 14:13
3/194 - however, some years ago.

BOOM
August 5th, 2010, 14:21
Wow,I had no idea we had so many active duty and ret. vets here in SOH,To All you Heroes, Myself and my family Thank You!!! We really Love our Freedom!!!!!!!:salute:

Reddog
August 5th, 2010, 16:00
My avatar says it all, 1953 to 1973.

TeaSea
August 5th, 2010, 16:06
Army obviously....why bother with anything else?

I will throw this in for my Marine buddies though...just as a reminder to the rest of the world.

anthony31
August 5th, 2010, 16:22
They all do an incredible job and all deserve our respect.

I know I wouldn't last 5 minutes in any of them.

Willy
August 5th, 2010, 16:24
Chief Engineman (Surface Warfare) US Navy, Ret. The black shoe Navy.

forgeknight
August 5th, 2010, 16:53
Army Aviation all the way! Of course I do have a slight bias :salute:
But you're right all the branches do their parts. After all, without the other branches who could we make fun of during the long days we spend in the dirt deployed.

pilottj
August 5th, 2010, 17:01
...Starfleet...

Well Grandpappy was USAAF in the war, then transferred to Army National Guard. USAF Space A did allow him to visit mother and I when we lived overseas and I have been a frequent visitor to Travis AFB, so I would have to say my favorite branch is the Air Force. USCG would be a close second but I know they are not part of the DOD.

wbuchart
August 5th, 2010, 17:07
Sincerely,
EM4 Buchart (Electician's Mate Petty Officer 2nd Class, late 70s early 80s)

dharris
August 5th, 2010, 17:13
Chief Engineman (Surface Warfare) US Navy, Ret. The black shoe Navy.

We wont hold it against you!!!!!!We need the black shoes to get us over to the fight!!!Had two brothers, one army one navy. Both loved what they did. It came down to sleeping in the mud or between clean sheets each nite. Yep Navy all the way

wbuchart
August 5th, 2010, 17:17
Sincerely,
EM4 Buchart (Electician's Mate Petty Officer 2nd Class, late 70s early 80s)

US Navy 1943 to 1948, served on the USS Catron, one of the assault ships at Okinawa, he was one of the guys on the beach with a Thompson.

Oops, meant to type And also FOR My Dad....

Major_Spittle
August 5th, 2010, 17:42
I was all that I could be..... In the ARMY!

That is who you call when you want **** done. ARMY all the way.

Scratch
August 5th, 2010, 17:53
A Navy pilot saved my life with some very well place ordinance. Air Force pilots in A-10s helped me out of a jam once. The Army...........I had a lot of my uncles in there so that counts for something. French minesweepers did a helluva job keeping mines away from the ship I was on in the Persian Gulf. The Brits invited me for a few on one of their ships.

Dang, I just plain like military folks period, but my heart is always with my beloved United States Marine Corps.

Semper Fi y'all:salute:

Cactuskid
August 5th, 2010, 20:43
Army Airborne! All the way! HooAhh!

4/503/173 Abn. '66-'67 :USA-flag:

NCGent
August 5th, 2010, 21:08
U.S.M.C. All the way, damn proud to be a former leatherneck.:salute:

Panther_99FS
August 5th, 2010, 21:14
Well, I'm not too much in favor of the Air Force since we haven't won a war since the got away from being the Army Air Force. They were much better when they were, "Down we dive, spouting our flames from under"

This verse is still part of the Air Force song...

txnetcop
August 5th, 2010, 22:11
Army Airborne! All the way! HooAhh!

4/503/173 Abn. '66-'67 :USA-flag:

Interesting website by a buddy about our accomplishments as RANGERS in Vietnam.

http://www.bietdongquan.com/article1/armyranger.htm

The Rangers also fought until the last minutes of South Vietnam as the largest group in defense of Saigon city, the capital of the Republic of Vietnam. It will always be Saigon to me!
Ted

falcon409
August 5th, 2010, 22:17
26 Years stretched out from 1966 to 2007, retired Air Force. There wasn't a job before or since that I enjoyed more than what I did while in the AF. . .a great sense of belonging to a family and great pride in my accomplishments. Despite the ribbing between branches, when it came time to get the job done, everyone did their part and we were grateful for the fact that "those other guys" were right there with us!! My personal thanks to the Army, Navy and Marines, all "Hot S__t" in my book!!:salute:

Matt Wynn
August 5th, 2010, 23:16
gotta be said i think ;) .....
http://www.lothianpra.webspace.virginmedia.com/Beret.gif
"What Manner Of Men Are These That Wear The Maroon Beret?

They are firstly all volunteers and are toughened by physical training. As a result they have infectious optimism and that offensive eagerness which comes from well-being. They have 'jumped' from the air and by doing so have conquered fear.

Their duty lies in the van of the battle. They are proud of this honour. They have the highest standards in all things whether it be skill in battle or smartness in the execution of all peace time duties. They are in fact - men apart - every man an emperor.

Of all the factors, which make for success in battle, the spirit of the warrior is the most decisive. That spirit will be found in full measure in the men who wear the maroon beret

Field Marshall

The Viscount Montgomery of Alamein"

no matter what unit, all you serving, or no longer serving, you're all my brothers in arms... we're one big family, call for help and we rely on out buddies and the other units, this dedication and duty is not bought, it is earned, so to all my Brothers (and sometimes Sisters) in Arms, Cheers! rounds on me :ernae:

crashaz
August 5th, 2010, 23:28
E-4 Navy Sonar EE.

Before that.... Navy since as I was 7 years old and reading about the Arizona. :salute:

TeaSea
August 6th, 2010, 15:40
It's nice to hear folks talk highly of the military these days, and us vets appreciate those who recognize the sacrifice, but it does go in cycles.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1300824/Co-op-refuses-serve-soldier-uniform-return-Afghanistan.html

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

Stinger
August 6th, 2010, 17:25
USAF 70-95
Combat Search & Rescue,a pilot's best friend
"That Others May Live"
enough said.... even our action figures are better then you

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/usvaf_451/pararescue-pararescue-pj-awesome-military-gun-demotivational-poster-1246629288.jpg

crashaz
August 6th, 2010, 17:53
:salute: To all you who have served.

PRB
August 6th, 2010, 18:03
A friend of mine who was a retired CPO in the navy, after serving in the US Army in Vietnam, and recieving two Purple Hearts there, had a contagious sense of humor. When the subject of the Coast Guard came up, he would always say "They have a minimum height requirement of six feet, that way if the boat sinks they can walk to shore!" Hehe. He could say that, because he, like all of us here, had no end of respect for all branches of the armed forces, including our USCG shipmates!

Ken Stallings
August 6th, 2010, 18:26
Army obviously....why bother with anything else?

I will throw this in for my Marine buddies though...just as a reminder to the rest of the world.

Dang, TeaSea! That is the first time I have seen that HONOR poster you showed us. Talk about saying a whole lot in a single sentence!

That was awesome!

Ken

TeaSea
August 6th, 2010, 18:30
I love the Air Force too Ken....

Have to, I work for them now.

It's appalling.....I have to go to Air War College....

Naismith
August 6th, 2010, 23:00
Dang, TeaSea! That is the first time I have seen that HONOR poster you showed us. Talk about saying a whole lot in a single sentence!

That was awesome!

Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI&feature=player_embedded

TeaSea
August 7th, 2010, 04:56
Oh yeah....Daily Mail....take it with a grain of salt....

And I love Dan...oh and Dan....

(but Rudyard's better)

Ghostrider
August 9th, 2010, 10:42
I'll give ya one guess! :wavey:

peter12213
August 9th, 2010, 10:43
Fleet Air Arm!

blazefox2
August 9th, 2010, 11:17
United States Marine Corps, and this forum shows why its the FEW, the proud, as only 5 others chose this branch. I enlisted in the Marine Corps back in may, and while I am not a Marine yet, (will earn my title upon completion of boot camp next year), and that is one reason why i hold the Corps in such high regards, because the title Marine is not given to the recruit automatically like the title of soldier, airman, or sailor. It is earned and therefore every member of the Corps shares a intense brotherhood experienced by very few people.

n4gix
August 9th, 2010, 20:16
The Army is just a bunch of ground pounders and why march when you don't have to?

I spent eight years in the US Army beginning in 1963, and never marched a single day after finishing Basic!

I graduated top of my class at Southeastern Signal School and left for a tour in Korea as a Spec5 (E-5). After reupping, I was promoted to E-6 and went back to Korea for another tour...

...still no marching for me! :ernae:

My highest respects go to everyone from any branch of service, regardless of rank!

BananaBob
August 9th, 2010, 20:49
15076:salute::salute::salute:

mathieu
August 10th, 2010, 03:57
The French Foreign Legion

'LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA'

Respect to all you who have served.
mathieu

johndetrick
August 11th, 2010, 03:32
Guess which one......

txnetcop
August 11th, 2010, 05:20
Well, I'm not too much in favor of the Air Force since we haven't won a war since the got away from being the Army Air Force. They were much better when they were, "Down we dive, spouting our flames from under" than, "We took the blue from the skies and a pretty girls eyes".
The Army is just a bunch of ground pounders and why march when you don't have to? The Navy provide free transportation. As far as Marines go, they're the guys who were'nt smart enough make it the Navy.
For those reasons, I go NAVY - all the way!

As any U.S. Army combat veteran from the Korean War to today will tell you Helldiver...we didn't do much marching but we sure got awfully dirty, muddy and bloody. It was the mud and blood of heroes if you ask me! It takes guts to be ground-pounder in war...Marine or Army! As for the Air Force and Navy pilots we deeply appreciate your house calls when things got outta hand. Napalm is a definite mind-changer! Thanks to all our European Allies for their service. I got to know some Thais and 9th Division "WhiteHorse" Korean Marines that were bad-asses in battle!
Ted