PDA

View Full Version : Druel.......

Lionheart
August 4th, 2010, 16:12
Goodness....

Some people live some incredible lives.. .

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/amazing-unusual-garages

paiken
August 4th, 2010, 16:34
Bill...not to disrespect you or anything, but it's spelled "drool" not "druel". This has been a message from the spelling nut.

OBIO
August 4th, 2010, 19:40
I am not impressed at all. So some guy who has more money than common sense builds a multi-million dollar garage to house his multi-million dollar car collection in. He's a show off who is compensating for a lack in other areas of his life. Does he drive the cars...most likely not, as they would get dirty and lose value. The cars, after all, are investments...purchased to be resold at a later date for a profit.

I am more impressed with the garage of the guy who lives 4 house down the road from me. It is a small 1 1/2 car garage...but that garage is the ultimate CAR GUY garage. It is full of greasy tools, spare parts, parts from hot rods the guy built 2 decades ago and has long since sold or traded to make room for the next project. He currently has a lovely 68 Impala that is 100% number matching (meaning it has the original factory engine, transmission, rearend), it has the original factory interior, original factory trim. The car is in need of some new quarter panel lowers, the paint is horrible. But the guy works on it every weekend...at least every weekend that he has a few dollars to spare to work on the car. He fires it up and drives his 5 year old son up and down the road in it...heck, he lets the boy sit on his lap and steer the car...the way my dear Dad did when I was a kid.

Fancy flashy garages and snooty investment car collections...no thank you. Small budget grease monkeys who love the cars they own and DRIVE the cars they love....That is a reason to drool.

OBIO

Astoroth
August 4th, 2010, 23:19
Couldn't have said it any better Obio, well put!

Snuffy
August 5th, 2010, 03:08
Goodness....

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/amazing-unusual-garages

I wouldn't call their lives "incredible" ... I wouldn't go so far as to say enviable either ... I too am not impressed with "show offs". People who have more money than they know what to do with and could probably afford the budget of some small third world country.

NOW if this guy really really wants to impress me, that's what he needs to do ... take his money and fund some starving third world country. Like Gates. His humanitarian contributions make him more of a man than many people give him credit for.

Don't get me wrong, the cars are nice ... and the "garage" spiffy as can be ... but ... meh, I'm not feeling anything, and I'm certainly not dreulling/drooling.

Not to preach here either Bill ... but you should know better than to covet these guys collections. Shame on you. ;)

grunau_baby
August 5th, 2010, 07:10
I really second your thought, and I think thatīs why Bill spelled it "druel";)

Just this weekend Iīve been to a large classic car event which was run by an amount of well off people (it was open for everone, to put that clear) enjoying their posh hobby: having fun with very expensive to maintain classic vehicles. As much as I like the automobile inheritance on such an event on the other hand I hated the show off athmosphere (to give you an example, take a look at this ownerīs face on the pic below, when I took the pic of his exhibit). Made me actually leave the place! What a bunch of arrogant farts!

But thereīs another side to the coin: in times of broken down national budgets it unfortunately is inevitable that "culture" (art, music, museums, classic collections, etc.) is "saved" by those with enough money. A lot of these cars would be lost if it werenīt for people with enough means. I donīt envy them and I certainly know their lifes arenīt merrier than "down here with the rest of us", but for them itīs like buying some flightsim payware is for me! I donīt really mind it at all as long as these folks give some of it back: their propper taxes, their exhibitions, their money for social benefit, etc. If not, itīs ....:toilet:

Well, my boss is my best example: he has a large collection of classic porsches and other classic cars, he inherited the company, "half" (many houses) the little town he lives in and everything his father build in many years - he was a great old-school guy who worked his way from a single craftsman to a 100-people-company. My boss is constantly dissatisfied, full of BS-ideas, rather unsophisticated, acts like a spoiled toddler most of the time (cause he never really worked for what he owns) and gives a sh... about his employees. The guy has everything, but believe me, I wouldnīt wanna take his place/life for a single second!!!

Now before it becomes more politically...I quit...:engel016:

Regards
Alex

PS: Bill, I know how you intended the thread (just a bit inadequately put IMHO), so no disrespect or anything in the points made!

Lionheart
August 5th, 2010, 07:35
Hey guys,

eeeks...! Where did you all get all of this? lol... goodness.

Its some photos of nice garages. Maybe I should have read the article.

Most guys love a nice garage, at least I do. The Tool Guy show on TV was all about his tools and his garage and car project. I was looking at the garages at face value, not digging into higher spiritual meanings and humanitarian life balances and the likes. I was looking at the checkered floors and cool tool benches.

eeeks...! Chill out gentlemen...

grunau_baby
August 5th, 2010, 08:04
Bill,

thatīs my PS, I know you didnīt mean it like "we" meant it! No need to worry we just hijacked your thread:engel016:

Regards
Alex

pilottj
August 5th, 2010, 14:36
Ive noticed that owners of rare/classic expensive machines are a mixed bunch. It is the same for cars, boats, warbirds..etc. When I was working as a lineman at the local airport, there was a handful of warbirds to refuel. Some of the owners were friendly and would love to chat about their planes, some were real arrogant SOBs and wouldn't give you the time of day. But regardless of their personalities they do have the money to keep those planes flying.

Sure some may be overcompensating and showing off, but in a sense we spend money on payware simulations of these same warbirds, so would that mean if we had lots of money we would buy a real P-47 or somthing?

If any of you visit the bay area, I recommend the Blackhawk Auto Museum, near Danville. It is kind of snobby but they do have some very rare stuff. The staff was actually quite friendly and one of the curators actually would open the doors of the cars and let us poke our heads in.

http://www.blackhawkmuseum.org/

Cheers
TJ

Lionheart
August 5th, 2010, 15:21
Thanks for the heads up TJ.

Nice looking museum.

Hey Alex,

Roger that.

:ernae:

Bill