PDA

View Full Version : GPS gauges

peperez
August 4th, 2010, 11:26
I'm preparing a new package and I need a GPS gauge to fill gaps over Russia, USA, South America and Asia. My research, until now, covered Oceania, South Asia, Phillipines (believe it or not, completely), Europe, Africa and Japan...

Until now, it has SIX GPS!

Cheers

Pepe

Shessi
August 5th, 2010, 07:21
Hi Pepe,
Go to Simviation and do a GPS search, there are loads of them, for all sims, especially Fs2004. They cover most of the world and you should get what you want.

If not, a couple of the GPS's, including Gryphon Aviation's is programmable, so you could add the airports, fuel dumps etc etc that you want, and get them dead accurate in CFS2.

Cheers Shessi

MaskRider
August 5th, 2010, 07:52
Have you ever considered using ACS-GPS as an alternative to all of the individual GPS gauges? With a single ACS-GPS gauge the list of navigate-to airfields can be updated on the fly with an entire new group/area or individual airfields added and/or removed as needed.

The first thing I do whenever I get a new plane is add a NAV/AP window to the panel that includes a small array of navigation gauges- including the ACS-GPS gauge. You can also just shove one into your main panel someplace or put in a clickable icon for just the gauge itself.

Here is what my little window looks like The gauge in the upper left is the actual ACS-GPS gauge, ACS.GPS98-KLN90B_CRT.gau:

Just a thought.

peperez
August 5th, 2010, 11:59
Have you ever considered using ACS-GPS as an alternative to all of the individual GPS gauges? With a single ACS-GPS gauge the list of navigate-to airfields can be updated on the fly with an entire new group/area or individual airfields added and/or removed as needed.

The first thing I do whenever I get a new plane is add a NAV/AP window to the panel that includes a small array of navigation gauges- including the ACS-GPS gauge. You can also just shove one into your main panel someplace or put in a clickable icon for just the gauge itself.

Here is what my little window looks like The gauge in the upper left is the actual ACS-GPS gauge, ACS.GPS98-KLN90B_CRT.gau:

Just a thought.

It's easy to use?

Cheers

Pepe

trasno
August 5th, 2010, 13:00
That gauge is listed as spyware in various sites... strange.

Trasno

MaskRider
August 5th, 2010, 13:42
That gauge is listed as spyware in various sites... strange.

Trasno

Hehe. Yeah, thats kinda funny. Can't imagine why it would be flagged. Its a gauge that has been included with many add on planes over the years and is available for download from a couple of well respected simming websites and it works great.

I keep a pretty tight barrier up on my computer against viruses and spyware and sweep once a week and this gauge has never been flagged- in all of the 6++ years or so that it has been on my computer.

Its a mystery.

MaskRider
August 5th, 2010, 14:09
It's easy to use?

Cheers

Pepe

Hiya Peperez,

Yes, once you are set up to use it, it is very easy to use. It takes a tad more attention than turning on a GPS gauge- but not much.

It was developed way back when by a Swiss-French guy named Alain Capt. I personally use what he refers to as the "Original CRT Version" on his ACSoft Productions web page (http://www.acsoft.ch/Flight_Simulator/flight_simulator.html)- which he last updated July 7, 2010. So Alain is still maintaining contact.

To set it up you add an ACS-GPS folder to your main CFS2 folder. Inside that are a couple of sub folders one of which contains area.dtb files- comma delimited text files containing the coords and info on airfields. The other folder contains flight-program.prg files which are specific combination/sequences of airfields or even just way points that you have put together your self which the plane can fly. You also add 4 files- including a dll type file- to the main CFS2 folder.

BTW unrecognized dll files often times get flagged as adware even though they are not. Even Martin Wright's dlls get flagged by my adware sweeps.

ACS-GPS comes with a whole bunch of navigate to databases (dtb) files, but you can also make your own. I have my own custom file named N_SOUPAC.dtb which contains the coords of all stock and all of my own add on airfields in the Pacific Theater. The program comes with all sorts of dtb files including the full airfield listings for FS2002.

I have a tutorial on how to get ACS-GPS set up and how to use it available on the DOWNLOADS page at my website. The ACS-GPS pack also comes with pretty good instructions. However, since the English is translated from French the instructions can sometimes be a tad unclear.

Also found on the same MR downloads page is an email request link for me to send a copy of the version of ACS-GPS pack that I use.