PDA

View Full Version : F-101 Voodoo

falcon409
August 3rd, 2010, 06:29
Here's another Century aircraft that gets less attention than the F-100, which I didn't think was possible, lol. I'm updating the repaints on the Alphasim version with larger texture sets and more detail. Comin' along pretty well so far and there are some nice "Walk-around" references to get ideas from also. I'm only doing the single seat version as that's the only one I kept out of the two variations that AS released.

Bone
August 3rd, 2010, 07:01
I still have FS9 running because there's a handfull of models that don't port to FSX to my liking, but I really love to fly them. The Voodoo is one of them. Good work, Falcon.

mmann
August 3rd, 2010, 08:39
I only kept the two seat version which was the one that Canada used as the CF-101. I then converted the gauges to run on FSX Acceleration.

raptor19
August 3rd, 2010, 10:38
Nice to see another Century Series rework. From memory it ports over quite well to acceleration and the only thing that I remember changing for some reason or other was the A/B effects, I believe that I slaved them to one of the IRIS F-4's. :wavey:

John N.

raptor19
August 3rd, 2010, 10:46
Falcon, I assume that you will eventually upload the reworked textures to the SOH library. I guess many, including myself would love to have them when they are finished.:ernae:

Regards,

John N

Bjoern
August 3rd, 2010, 12:22
I wouldn't say no to a F-101B...

mmann
August 3rd, 2010, 13:34
A CF101B 'Hawk One Canada' (from CFB Comox) flying the FSX skies.

falcon409
August 3rd, 2010, 17:43
A couple more WIP shots. . . .I have the wings and fuel tanks to do and then a complete redo of the sheet metal area under the tail. . .between the two exhausts. The actual aircraft has a much more detailed appearance showing the sections of sheet metal and attaching screws, metal bands and rivets that should add quite a bit to the final look of the repaint.

dharris
August 4th, 2010, 05:13

Now that is one good looking voodoo.

mmann
August 4th, 2010, 05:45
Now that is one good looking voodoo.

Unfortunately this model will only fly in a simulation. The real one is permanently grounded!

CHBTheDoctor
August 4th, 2010, 05:48
:applause:
I simply LOVE the Voodoo, ported her to FSX, did all the gauges, multiple camera-views (front and back)
Allmost the the only supersonic I fly.
One is here: http://www.aviationmuseum.eu/World/Europe/Germany/Speyer/Technik_Museum.htm

I visited the museum only for making nearly 100 detail photos of that bird.

dharris
August 4th, 2010, 06:03
Unfortunately this model will only fly in a simulation. The real one is permanently grounded!

Is this paint available? Would love to have it.

falcon409
August 4th, 2010, 06:03
Wish I had one close enough to me that I could do the same CHB. The Voodoo would look great with a photoreal skin done for her. The best I can do is update the paint really.
Pretty close to being finished with this one paint. . .here is a shot of the texture file with the revised aft section (before and after).

Shane Strong CYHZ
August 4th, 2010, 08:37
could someone post their fsx config would love to have mine working in fsx miss it
are the guages different from the ones that came with it?

mmann
August 4th, 2010, 08:48
Is this paint available? Would love to have it.

Repaint is by Pierre Lheureux. It is available from flightsim.com by doing a search for filename and searching for texthawk.zip or you could search for text and use Pierre's last name and you will find many other repaints that he did. Regards, Mike Mann

falcon409
August 4th, 2010, 08:50
could someone post their fsx config would love to have mine working in fsx miss it. Are the guages different from the ones that came with it?
For the first question, I assume you meant the aircraft.cfg file not the FSX.cfg. There's nothing changed in the aircraft.cfg other than maybe some differences in the repaints you might have.

As for the gauges, unfortunately, I think I found one gauge that I didn't have to change, all the rest are '98 version gauges which don't work in FSX. Also, I'd send you my panel.cfg except that all of the replacement gauges I used are from other aircraft I own and can't release due to copyrights.

mmann
August 4th, 2010, 09:04
could someone post their fsx config would love to have mine working in fsx miss it

As Falcon stated, many of the stock gauges won't work so you have to reference another aircraft's gauges. A good substitute is the McDonnell F-4 Phantom II which has a lot of similar gauges.

raptor19
August 4th, 2010, 11:50

Shane and others who have asked about the panel for the Voodoo. I remembered that some time back Rick Rutherford posted a panel update for the Alphasim Voodoo on Avsim. The download includes a new additional FSX gauge cab file but note that you also need the Section F8 Sabre's cab file as the FSX Voodoo panel rework uses some of those gauges as well. The file is called f101fsx_ud.zip on Avsim or alternatively you should find it by searching for Rick Rutherford or Voodoo.

I still have it somewhere so if you are stuck or cannot find it then send me a PM.

Regards,

John N

falcon409
August 5th, 2010, 08:39
Ok, this should be uploaded to our "Downloads" area some time today. I had placed two additional placards below the trailing edge of the wings on the lower fuselage and when I loaded the airplane (as you can see), they don't show. Apparently they aren't low enough and the wing root is covering them, so I need to correct that.
There will be two sets of textures (all in dds format). . .one full set with the fuselage and wings textures in 4096x4096 as well as a second set of textures just for the external that are 2048x2048. Even with my lowly system, the large format textures are no fps hit at all, but just in case someone has a problem. . .the smaller set will be included.

CG_1976
August 5th, 2010, 09:03
Shane and others who have asked about the panel for the Voodoo. I remembered that some time back Rick Rutherford posted a panel update for the Alphasim Voodoo on Avsim. The download includes a new additional FSX gauge cab file but note that you also need the Section F8 Sabre's cab file as the FSX Voodoo panel rework uses some of those gauges as well. The file is called f101fsx_ud.zip on Avsim or alternatively you should find it by searching for Rick Rutherford or Voodoo.

I still have it somewhere so if you are stuck or cannot find it then send me a PM.

Regards,

John N

Thank you for the FSX Fix info. Off to get Shane's Paint packs for this VooDoo:salute:

raptor19
August 5th, 2010, 09:41
Falcon, I look forward to downloading your repaint. Thanks for your time and effort.

CG 1976, You are very welcome. The fix worked fine for me, and has saved me the work of replacing the gauges myself!

Regards,

John N.

Shane Strong CYHZ
August 5th, 2010, 09:47
hey thanks guys got it downloaded now to put my office back together and install it great to see someone still uses my paints :) when my office is back together look out the paint brush will be back out
shane

CG_1976
August 5th, 2010, 10:17
hey thanks guys got it downloaded now to put my office back together and install it great to see someone still uses my paints :) when my office is back together look out the paint brush will be back out
shane

Here you go Lynx Sq out of Iqaluit.

falcon409
August 5th, 2010, 10:45
Ok, it is now 1:47PM CST and I just uploaded the SEA livery to the SOH downloads area (FSX_Skins).:salute:

Bone
August 5th, 2010, 12:31
nice.

Shane Strong CYHZ
August 5th, 2010, 18:01
hey whos Iqaluit scenery is that i got tons of pictures of the airport but didnt know anyone made it
pictures look great

mmann
August 5th, 2010, 19:11
shane

I still love the paints you did for the Canadian Forces T-33 Shane. First Class!!! Regards, Mike Mann

CG_1976
August 5th, 2010, 20:10
hey whos Iqaluit scenery is that i got tons of pictures of the airport but didnt know anyone made it
pictures look great

The Iqaluit scenery is a beta from Sidney Schwartz. If you got pics of the CAF FOL id appreciate a few to pass along to Sidney please. So far he has done Hay River and Yellowknife, both work for me in FSX with a slight LC adjustments.

falcon409
August 5th, 2010, 20:16
With all the Voodoo fans in here, has anyone added AB effects to this bird?. . .and if so. . .how? lol

DaveQ
August 6th, 2010, 01:49
Here's my humble offering - F-101B-110-MC 58-0329 of the Oregon ANG circa 1975. Done in 2048 x 2048, I reduced it to 1024 x 1024 for FS2004 and it's available at Flightsim.com - http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=143343, along with F-101B-105-MC 58-0300 of the Minnesota ANG, same date.

14739 14738 14737 14736

The AB used is the AS F-105, aircraft.cfg reads

[smokesystem]
smoke.0 = -30.00, -2.10, -1.5, fx_ALPHA_F105_smoke
smoke.1 = -30.00, 2.10, -1.5, fx_ALPHA_F105_smoke
//smoke.2= 0.00, 1.7, 0.0, Afx_Sound_EngineDamage.fx
//smoke.3= 0.00, 1.7, 0.0, Afx_EngineFire_172SP.fx

[lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.0 = 3, -8.60, -20.10, -0.95, fx_navred
light.1 = 3, -8.60, 20.10, -0.95, fx_navgre
light.2 = 3, -33.27, 0.00, 10.75, fx_navwhi
light.3 = 3, 7.50, 0.00, 4.85, fx_strobe_red
light.4 = 3, 1.50, 0.00, -2.85, fx_strobe_red
light.5 = 4, 19.50, 0.00, 3.00, fx_vclight
light.6 = 4, 14.50, 0.00, 3.00, fx_vclight
light.7= 9, -10, -2.0, -0.92, fx_Alpha_F105_AB
light.8= 9, -10, 2.1, -0.92, fx_Alpha_F105_AB
//light.9 = 2, -14.00, -19.75, -1.00, fx_Vortices
//light.10 = 2, -14.00, 19.75, -1.00, fx_Vortices

DaveQ

raptor19
August 6th, 2010, 05:39
Myself, I originally used the IRIS Phantom A/B effects but these require more entries and effects files than DaveQ's already suggested use of the Alpha F-105 effects. Then a thought occurred, although the principles of applying effects are generally the same, some people may not have the commercial payware aircraft suggested, although many other alternatives would probably also work.

I then wondered if the A/B effects from the SOH F-100 could be substituted as anyone can download that aircraft from this site. Lo and behold they work well as can be seen in the attached screenshots (one of Shane's repaints I believe). The Alpha effects do not light up the jetpipe over its full diameter whilst the SOH F-100 ones do. The listing below is as per DaveQ's previous but with the SOH effects substituted for those of you who want to copy and paste it into the Voodoo aircraft.config file after deleting the original entries under the same headings.

I have already updated my own Voodoo installations, so thanks Falcon for starting the thread and for your paint, also to Shane for all his previous repaints, and to DaveQ for making me look again at those afterburner effects. :ernae:

Best regards,

John N

[smokesystem]
smoke.0 = -30.00, -2.10, -1.5, fx_F100_smoke.fx
smoke.1 = -30.00, 2.10, -1.5,fx_F100_smoke.fx

[lights]
light.2 = 3, -33.27, 0.00, 10.75, fx_navwhi
light.3 = 3, 7.50, 0.00, 4.85, fx_strobe_red
light.4 = 3, 1.50, 0.00, -2.85, fx_strobe_red
light.6 = 4, 14.50, 0.00, 3.00, fx_vclight
light.7= 9, -10, -2.0, -0.92, fx_F100_AB.fx
light.8= 9, -10, 2.1, -0.92, fx_F100_AB.fx
//light.9 = 2, -14.00, -19.75, -1.00, fx_Vortices
//light.10 = 2, -14.00, 19.75, -1.00, fx_Vortices

raptor19
August 6th, 2010, 06:09
Link below to SOH F-100 if you should need it!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=34&linkid=166

falcon409
August 6th, 2010, 06:35
Good stuff Raptor!! As you mentioned, not everyone will have the particular payware aircraft needed, but I do have the SOH F-100, so this is perfect.:salute:

hschuit
August 6th, 2010, 07:42
Good to see you guys figured out the burners. Funny thing is I used the Alphasim F-105 burner files as a basis to build the SOH F-100 portover burner effect. If you like to add a finishing touch to the engine glow and have the characteristic burner ignition bang sound, you should also include this SOH F-100 portover file in your setup: fx_F100_Exh1.fx. It calls a default FSX sound file which should be present in your Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Sound folder: Exp_Gen02.wav.

falcon409
August 6th, 2010, 07:47
Hey Raptor, any chance this also requires a gauge trigger? I am not having a lot of luck getting any AB effect to show, but this one in particular since I've checked the effects folder and that effect is there. What about textures? Is there a texture attached to this as well?

falcon409
August 6th, 2010, 08:06
Good to see you guys figured out the burners. Funny thing is I used the Alphasim F-105 burner files as a basis to build the SOH F-100 portover burner effect. If you like to add a finishing touch to the engine glow and have the characteristic burner ignition bang sound, you should also include this SOH F-100 portover file in your setup: fx_F100_Exh1.fx. It calls a default FSX sound file which should be present in your Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Sound folder: Exp_Gen02.wav.
Thanks Henk, I'll add that as well. I noticed it was included in the F-100 cfg file. Also, at least for me, the AB effect does not work unless you include the F100_AB.xml gauge in the panel.cfg file. My problem now is that while the AB effect is present. . .it's there all the time. It doesn't diminish with throttle settings. Besides that, I also noticed that the wingtip vortices and the AB effect can be turned off by the "L" key, lol. Actually, I should clarify that by saying the wingtip vortices will be effected by the "L" key (permanently), the AB effect goes off temporarily, but comes right back on again irregardless of what position the lights or the throttle are in, lol. Who knew? lol.:salute:

hschuit
August 6th, 2010, 08:41
Ed, the reason your effect is not working properly is because FSX handles the burner different than FS2004 does and now it looks like you have both worlds colliding:isadizzy:. Try this; based on the default F-101 cfg files:

panel.cfg - remove these lines from [Window02]:

gauge00=alpha_f-101!Alpha_exh_smoke2, 1,1,1,1
gauge01=alpha_f-101!Vortices, 1,1,1,1
gauge02=alpha_f-101!mirageburnerLOGO, 1,1,1,1

Assuming you already have put the F-100.cab file in your gauges folder, add this line to [Vcockpit02]:
gauge01=F-100!EffectController, 10,10,20,20

Add this line to the aircraft.cfg - [TurbineEngineData] :
afterburner_throttle_threshold = 0.80

hope it works for you, if not do not hesitate to PM me.

PS: I added a replacement voodoo.air file with new engine/drag parameters which work better in FSX: 14765
and last but not least a true FSX [TurbineEngineData] section:

[TurbineEngineData]
//Pratt & Whitney J57-P-55 Dry thrust 11990 lbs, wet 16900 lbs (table 1524 ratio 1.4095)
fuel_flow_gain=0.002
inlet_area=9.5 //6.4
rated_N2_rpm=9976.000
static_thrust=11990 // 14880
afterburner_available=2
afterburner_throttle_threshold =0.8
reverser_available=0
ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 0.77
AfterBurnThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.8

CG_1976
August 6th, 2010, 09:34
??? I noticed something last night on flight to Rankin. I used the AP on the long stretch and well the AP was active the AC made several steep banks wild and then would return to hdg and repeat this for say 5minutes. Voodoo seems squirrelly for banking when her AP is active any way to correct this by chance?

raptor19
August 6th, 2010, 10:20
Falcon, Just been reading your post and also seen what Henk has posted for you. From what you say it does appear that you have a clash between entries in the panel.config folder. I have used the panel update that I referred to in my earlier post i.e. the one on Avsim posted by Rick Rutherford and I have no problems with the A/B effect working with that.

If you haven't sorted it by the time that you read this note then if you want to send me a PM then I will let you have my e-mail and perhaps you can send me your panel config file so that I can see what you have got. I note that Henk has also offered to help out so if you have already pursued that then fair enough. Between us I feel sure that we can sort it if it hasn't already been done.

Also I would be happy to send you any of my current config files or the panel folder that works O.K. for me if you would prefer that.

Henk, Thanks for your posts and in particular the engine data I will save that and have a look at it later this evening with the view of incorporating it into my current files and I'm sure that it will improve the performance of the Voodoo even more.

Regards,

John N.

falcon409
August 6th, 2010, 11:28
??? I noticed something last night on flight to Rankin. I used the AP on the long stretch and well the AP was active the AC made several steep banks wild and then would return to hdg and repeat this for say 5minutes. Voodoo seems squirrelly for banking when her AP is active any way to correct this by chance?
I have noticed this on previous flights, in different aircraft, different altitudes, different airspeeds. I was told that this is a known problem in FSX and there's nothing that can be done about it. For me, it seems to happen more often in areas of heavy turbulence and high wind speeds (above 10kts).

I flew from Nellis to NAS Ft Worth this morning and encountered that same problem while flying at 13,000 on a hdg of 086 and winds were 36kts at 310. It remained persistent until I was able to drop altitude after passing beyond the Mt ranges.:salute:

Sundog
August 6th, 2010, 12:08
Is the Iris Phantom AB effect the same as their MiG-29 AB effect, because that's the one I use on my Voodoo?

I'll have to check out those FSX FDE updates against mine, which I still still need to send to Warchild to fix an annoying problem at the high-speed end with; I just have so much going on right now...grrr. I hate that. Of course, I haven't migrated my Voodoo FSX yet, so all of the tips you guys have posted here will help, so thanks.

mmann
August 6th, 2010, 12:26

Set this up as you mentioned and the burners light like they should but I don't get the burner ignition bang. I do have the fx_F100_Exh1.fx in my main effects folder and the Exp_Gen02.wav was already in my FSX\Sound folder.

raptor19
August 6th, 2010, 12:28
Incorporated Henk's .air file and engine data and there is a definite improvement, thanks again Henk! Haven't flown the Voodoo on A/P for any length of time but will have a look sometime over the weekend. Overall I am now quite pleased with the portover which is generally working O.K. for me. At last I have time to think of an appropriate sound file as I just don't like it aliased to the default Learjet. I have 2 other P&W J57 models namely the F-102 (Razbam) and the F-8 Crusader (Alphasim). At present I have the Voodoo aliased to the F-102 sound which is better than the default Lear. However, again not everyone will have these so if anyone can suggest an alternative suitable freeware soundset then I would be keen to try it out.

Falcon, I hope the A/B effects now sorted for your config arrangement but if not the offer to send my currently installed config. files still stands.

Regards,

John N

falcon409
August 6th, 2010, 12:44
Raptor, the AB effect is fixed, however the wingtip vortices are still controlled by the "L" key. It's not a huge deal for me really as I can ignore the constant vortices since I don't spend a lot of time outside then VC.

hschuit
August 6th, 2010, 12:46
Set this up as you mentioned and the burners light like they should but I don't get the burner ignition bang. I do have the fx_F100_Exh1.fx in my main effects folder and the Exp_Gen02.wav was already in my FSX\Sound folder.

Have you added it also to the aircraft.cfg [lights] section like:

[lights]
light.2 = 3,-34.50, 0.00, 10.75, fx_navwhi
light.3 = 3, 11.50, 0.00, 4.35, fx_strobe_red
light.4 = 3, 1.40, 0.00, -2.85, fx_strobe_red
light.6 = 9, -9.30, -2.00, -0.9, fx_F100_Exh1
light.7 = 9, -9.30, 2.00, -0.9, fx_F100_Exh1
light.8 = 9, -9.40, -2.00, -0.9, fx_F100_AB
light.9 = 9, -9.40, 2.00, -0.9, fx_F100_AB

What I also notice is I do hear the bangs when I am in the cockpit and externally when the camera is in front of or on the side of the jet. If you move the camera to the rear the sound becomes overruled by the engine sound.

If this thread goes much further I might consider changing my avatar:
(This patch was worn by One-O-Wonder maintainers)

mmann
August 6th, 2010, 13:06
[QUOTE=hschuit;458328]Have you added it also to the aircraft.cfg [lights] section like:

No I missed that one!! I was using raptor19 [lights] at the top of page 3. Thanks to you it now works perfectly. Is there a way to trigger a double boom? As a kid I remember always hearing a twin boom when the voodoo's lit their afterburners (one for each burner I suppose). Hey Falcon did you make sure you commented out the two lines in the [lights] section that reference the fx_Vortices? If you do that you should have vortices that are not controlled by the "L" key.

falcon409
August 6th, 2010, 13:21
. . . . .Hey Falcon did you make sure you commented out the two lines in the [lights] section that reference the fx_Vortices? If you do that you should have vortices that are not controlled by the "L" key.
Bingo. . .thanks. . .!!:salute:

hschuit
August 6th, 2010, 22:35
No I missed that one!! I was using raptor19 [lights] at the top of page 3. Thanks to you it now works perfectly. Is there a way to trigger a double boom? As a kid I remember always hearing a twin boom when the voodoo's lit their afterburners (one for each burner I suppose). Hey Falcon did you make sure you commented out the two lines in the [lights] section that reference the fx_Vortices? If you do that you should have vortices that are not controlled by the "L" key.

About the double boom: Not sure if it depends on how my FSX is setup but when I light the burners I can hear a fraction of a second delay between engine 1 and engine 2 kicking in.

Or, you could change the sound file in the effect itself:
1. Find or create a sound (.wav) file with a double bang.
2. Drop the new sound file in your FSX \Sound folder
3. Edit fx_F100_Exh1.fx section [Sound] to change the name of the .wav file

Here is a link which explains the mechanics of .fx files:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526969.aspx#EffectsFileFormat

hschuit
August 6th, 2010, 23:51
Comparing the Alphasim fuel capacity numbers vs. what I found on the internet it seems we are 1,160 gallons short. Here is the fix:

Default Alphasim aircraft.cfg :
[fuel]
//Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
fuel_type = 2
number_of_tank_selectors = 1
electric_pump = 1
Center1 = 0, 0, 0, 1053, 0
LeftMain = 0, -5, 0, 370, 0
RightMain = 0, 5, 0, 370, 0

Fix :
[fuel]
//Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
//Internal: 2,053 gal + 2x 450 gal external
fuel_type = 2
number_of_tank_selectors = 1
electric_pump = 1
Center1 = 0, 0, 0, 1313, 0
LeftMain = 0, -5, 0, 370, 0
RightMain = 0, 5, 0, 370, 0
External1= 0, 2.5, -2, 450, 0
External2= 0, -2.5, -2, 450, 0

Note: As the 2-seater is modelled without external tanks you can comment out the last 2 lines for that variation.

raptor19
August 7th, 2010, 01:42
Falcon, you shouldn't have had the original vortices showing as they were commented out in the lights section that I posted. The only thing I have done with that section subsequently is to add the effects for the afterburner bangs and remove all reference to the vortices.

Henk, I thought I was getting shot at when I added the A/B bangs LOL. Interesting what you have posted re the fuel situation, I am beginning to think that maybe you ought to change your avatar after all (even more laughs). Seriously, thanks for all that you have added, this thread has I think shown the best of what SOH and the Flightsim community is all about.

I am currently working on another Alphasim portover and don't want to start a thread on that just yet as I haven't got any time over the coming week as other demands take priority. Going back to the F-101 I feel that the model is very acceptable until someone comes up with (if ever) a new full FSX version. Still haven't looked at the autopilot problem but if what Falcon says is right then maybe it is not easily sorted.

Very best regards to all,

John N.

mmann
August 7th, 2010, 04:44
About the double boom: Not sure if it depends on how my FSX is setup but when I light the burners I can hear a fraction of a second delay between engine 1 and engine 2 kicking in.

Yes I can hear this slight delay on mine as well, once I got back into the virtual cockpit! I may try altering the sound file but I wonder if I will then hear 4 instead of 2 booms? Only one way to find out and that is to give it a try. Thanks very much for posting a possible solution.

Regards, Mike Mann

mmann
August 7th, 2010, 05:46
Creating a new sound file with a double boom worked great! Many thanks for the advice.
Regards, Mike Mann

Wings of Gold
August 7th, 2010, 07:45
Will someone please tell me if the F-101B has glass in the canopy while in spot view. The screen-shots that I have seen here do not appear to show any glass. I too would very much like to add a CF-101 at Comox, but flying around with all that wind in your face would be a bummer!

Bill

mmann
August 7th, 2010, 08:09
Will someone please tell me if the F-101B has glass in the canopy while in spot view. The screen-shots that I have seen here do not appear to show any glass. I too would very much like to add a CF-101 at Comox, but flying around with all that wind in your face would be a bummer!

Bill

Yes it does! But at certain angles it will blend into the background of coarse.

Regards, Mike Mann

delta_lima
August 8th, 2010, 15:59
Hello team,

Dragged this one out of FS9 into FSX - I get this weird view in all views where the bottom 1/4 or so of the screen is black, and the remaining portion "squishes" the view of the bird. I've noticed this with porting over some FS9 birds.

What's to be done? Your screens show all seems to be fine - need to address this before tackling your gauge and light fixes ...

thanks so much!

dl

falcon409
August 8th, 2010, 16:40
Scroll to the bottom of your panel.cfg file (for both aircraft) and change the last line to what I have here. . .there are several numbers that work, this one just happens to be one of them:

[Default View]
X=0
Y=0
SIZE_X=8191
SIZE_Y=6143

delta_lima
August 9th, 2010, 15:51
Scroll to the bottom of your panel.cfg file (for both aircraft) and change the last line to what I have here. . .there are several numbers that work, this one just happens to be one of them:

[Default View]
X=0
Y=0
SIZE_X=8191
SIZE_Y=6143

Cool - will try - many thanks!!!

dl

DaveQ
September 29th, 2010, 03:36
Falcon409 inspired me to look again at the single-seater from AS. I've spent the last 6 weeks refining new 2048 x 2048 skins for the 'One-Oh-Wonder'. This is one that's not been done before (I don't think!). It represents the wing commander's aircraft out of Kadena AFB, Okinawa, around 1962/3 when they had just started operations over Vietnam. I'll upload a bunch asap.

Thanks to Falcon409 for the use of some bits and for the inspiration!!!:jump:

Dave Q

falcon409
September 29th, 2010, 04:11
Wow. . .very nice job Dave. . .looking forward to flying your creations. Definitely nice to have some unique liveries for this beauty!

Bone
September 29th, 2010, 06:09
Hey Ed, could you put up your reworked panel cfg? I've probably got most of the payware guages you used in it. Thanks.

SADT
September 29th, 2010, 14:17
A little OT:

The century series are sooo cool :jump:

One problem: Almost none are modeled for FSX except for (and I am not sure if this is native or not) the F-102 by Razbam. :p:

mal998
September 29th, 2010, 16:00
Perfectly acceptable in FSX: AS F-104, AS F-105, AS F-106

DaveQ
September 30th, 2010, 03:05
So is the AS F-101 IMHO, even if, unlike the others, the .mdl file hasn't been reworked for FSX (could that be done by somebody??). Which is where this thread started. Here's a reworked 81st TFW F-101C doing some strafing practice, something they did frequently on rotation to Wheelus Field in Libya, despite their primary mission being tactical nuclear strike. Cannon effects by Rob Barendregt.

DaveQ

James
September 30th, 2010, 03:55
So is the AS F-101 IMHO, even if, unlike the others, the .mdl file hasn't been reworked for FSX (could that be done by somebody??).

I would do it if I knew how. This is probably my favorite jet fighter of all time.

dharris
September 30th, 2010, 06:26
Coming to this a little late, is this still available anywhere? I tried finding it on the link to alphasim software but could not find the f-1010

delta_lima
September 15th, 2011, 19:56
Reinstalled this again today. DQ's paintings are superb - what a great addon. Got the lights/AB thing sorted. But I have very few running gauges - airspeed, attitude, engine gauges, almost everything is n/s. I installed the FSX upgrade from Rick Rutherford - but none of the old FS9 gauges (which as far as I can tell are old non-xml types).

Am I missing something? It's the same for both the B and RF model panels.

thanks,

dl

Prowler1111
September 15th, 2011, 20:13
A little OT:

The century series are sooo cool :jump:

One problem: Almost none are modeled for FSX except for (and I am not sure if this is native or not) the F-102 by Razbam. :p:

The RAZBAM F-102 is a FSX only addon

But itīs not the only one, AS/Virtavia made a F-106 and F-105, their F-104 is a port over AFAIK

Best regards

Prowler

Bjoern
September 16th, 2011, 13:22
...their F-104 is a port over AFAIK

I think it's native as well.

RCAF_Gunner
September 17th, 2011, 09:39
Reinstalled this again today. DQ's paintings are superb - what a great addon. Got the lights/AB thing sorted. But I have very few running gauges - airspeed, attitude, engine gauges, almost everything is n/s. I installed the FSX upgrade from Rick Rutherford - but none of the old FS9 gauges (which as far as I can tell are old non-xml types).

Am I missing something? It's the same for both the B and RF model panels.

thanks,

dl

It's been a long while since I looked at this but I suspect you need the Section F8 Sabre gauge (SF8_F86.CAB). Their gauge file needs to be copied to the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Gauges\" directory for the panel mods I did.

Cheers,
Rick

Bone
September 17th, 2011, 19:12
Where can I find RCAF_Gunner's update?

delta_lima
September 17th, 2011, 21:15
Where can I find RCAF_Gunner's update?

It's on Avsim. Search for alphasim voodoo.

Cheers,

DL

Bone
September 18th, 2011, 06:59
It's on Avsim. Search for alphasim voodoo.

Cheers,

DL

Thanks.

delta_lima
September 19th, 2011, 20:07
Ok - moved the .cab in question, and it gave me most of the gauges. Still have no engine gauges except for Gas Turbine RPM. Is that what everyone else has?

thanks,

DL

RCAF_Gunner
September 19th, 2011, 22:26
Ok - moved the .cab in question, and it gave me most of the gauges. Still have no engine gauges except for Gas Turbine RPM. Is that what everyone else has?

thanks,

DL

You also need to copy the "ALPHA_F-101.cab" file to the same location. Double check the steps in the readme file. Here's a screenshot of the 101B's panel:

delta_lima
September 20th, 2011, 13:30
Yes - all gauges in place. My cockpit looks identical.

I should have said the engine gauges are present - just not working (except for turbine rpm) - both the sabre and 101 gauges in the main gauges folder, all according to steps ...

dl

RCAF_Gunner
September 20th, 2011, 23:59
Yes - all gauges in place. My cockpit looks identical.

I should have said the engine gauges are present - just not working (except for turbine rpm) - both the sabre and 101 gauges in the main gauges folder, all according to steps ...

dl

OK, I see what you're asking. On my installation the needles in all the engine gauges, except the EPR pair (top pair), move as engine conditions change such as a startup or as throttle settings change. The EPR gauges are part of the original Alphasim gauge CAB file and in theory *should* be working since they are XML gauges.

Rick

DaveQ
October 14th, 2011, 05:03
Here's one for you guys; 101056 from No. 416 (Lynx) Sqdn, Chatham AB, Ontario, currently displayed at Cold Lake AB, Alberta. Hope you like it.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/CF-101B2.jpg

Will publish later this week

DaveQ

delta_lima
October 14th, 2011, 07:41
Awesome Dave!!!

Nice, um, cans, too! :icon_lol: Hard to tell, but it looks like you've given them a bit of the F-100 burnish on them?

Looks superb. Yes, used to walk by that one at Cold Lake a lot whilst working there ... nice to see it in the sim!

Best regards,

DL

DaveQ
October 14th, 2011, 08:02
Nice, um, cans, too! :icon_lol: DL

Thanks for your comments. The cans are taken off a photo and bronzed in Photoshop. I'm not a big fan of photoreal but for small details it can work well. Do you reckon the serials on the nose are too big though guys?

Regards

DaveQ

PS Of course CFB Chatham was in New Brunswick - no use trying to fool people I know stuff!!!:kilroy:

delta_lima
October 14th, 2011, 11:13
Do you reckon the serials on the nose are too big though guys?

Well, in this case, the effect looks great.

Regarding the nose serials - we're really just niggling now - but I'd say

1) they're a bit large
2) font is a a bit thick, and
3) the placement needs to shift downward.

See here:

http://www.dhc-2.com/CAF.html
http://t33.ca/photo-galleries/voodoo/t-33-april-2005.html

Notice the placement is exactly in line (vertically) with the location of the zig zag. Now I know that on 045 in the Canadian Warplane Museum, the number is sitting proud like how you have it. Again, it's likely a bit of an oops on the part of the museum painters. Looking at operational CF Voodoos in general - and 416 Sqn Voodoos in particular, the numbers were vertically symmetrical to the zig zag cheat line.

Again, minor nits in the grand scheme of things, and wouldn't have commented if you hadn't asked. I like red bone domes .... nice touch. I've never seen all red - only all white or red with white visor cover or vs versa. Probably can't do that in the texture file, though, so all red is a nice break from the all white.

Bravo Dave - time to chase some Bears .... :) .... and time for some '106 action too - maybe a William Tell locale, to dry out after all this rain we've been having ... :)

DL

ps - anyone else have the visually present but non-working engine gauges? This is really weird.

Thanks,

wallyboard
October 14th, 2011, 11:25
Thanks for your comments. The cans are taken off a photo and bronzed in Photoshop. I'm not a big fan of photoreal but for small details it can work well. Do you reckon the serials on the nose are too big though guys?

Regards

DaveQ

PS Of course CFB Chatham was in New Brunswick - no use trying to fool people I know stuff!!!:kilroy:

Dave,

The size is technically 12", denoting the last three digits of the serial number, and I'd say it's just a tad "bold", but good size-wise.

Also, the full tail ident would be "101056" (technically a 6" number).

Cheers
Larry

DaveQ
October 14th, 2011, 11:38
Dave,

The size is technically 12", denoting the last three digits of the serial number, and I'd say it's just a tad "bold", but good size-wise.

Also, the full tail ident would be "101056" (technically a 6" number).

Cheers
Larry

Oh! Crap! I've not changed the tail code!!!

Thanks everyone for your input - I'll see what I can do to improve the font/size of the front serials.

DaveQ

DaveQ
October 17th, 2011, 07:02
Now completed incorporating comments, with correct tail serials and altered nose codes. This one is currently in Calgary. Posted here and at Flightsim.com and available when authorised.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/CF-101B3.jpg

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/CF-101B4.jpg

Hope you like it

Next out is the Sim Skunkworks F-104S MM6739 in lo-viz grey.

DaveQ

delta_lima
October 17th, 2011, 08:11
Looks fantastic. Growing up in Calgary, I remember seeing this plane on McKnight Blvd every time I'd drive to the airport. Pity it was outside - don't know if it's still out or if the expanded museum ever materialized.

Many thank - a pleasant surprise!!

DL

UPDATE: Installed and tested - I now have a weird looking panel - looks like the panel texture is missing or messed up .... thoughts?

DaveQ
October 17th, 2011, 11:46
There are (for reasons best known to the gods of historical accident) two copies of the 'Voodoo_Pnl_B' file in the texture.shared folder. Remove the one named 'Voodoo_Pnl_B' and rename the one named 'Voodoo_Pnl_B - Copy', 'Voodoo_Pnl_B'. That should fix it. Sorry folks! My problem is I'm crap at cleaning out old unwanted stuff when I do repaints!!:redface:

DaveQ

delta_lima
October 17th, 2011, 11:52
Fixed - thanks!!!

dk

DaveQ
October 20th, 2011, 05:25

Well, its been over a year since this post but here goes....!

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/CF-101BHawk2.jpg

Also soon available, the Lynx

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/Lynx1.jpg

Basically finished but need thoroughly checking out (after the last near-disaster!). Will post early next week.

DaveQ