PDA

View Full Version : a REAL survivor

cheezyflier
July 31st, 2010, 06:12
forget those goofballs on the television. webster should define the word survivor with a picture of this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alistair_Urquhart

safn1949
July 31st, 2010, 06:20
Yikes....I don't think I could endure as much as he did,honestly.How he survived without losing his mind is beyond me.Well done sir.:unitedkingdom:

Toastmaker
July 31st, 2010, 09:20
Wow ! Congrats to him, for sure. A guy that just wouldn't go along with the program to kill him !!

:salute:

TARPSBird
July 31st, 2010, 09:34
Speaking of POW stories, may I suggest Escape From Davao by John D. Lukacs. This is an excellent new book (May release) which describes the escape of Army Air Force Capt. Ed Dyess and several other POW's from the (allegedly) escape-proof Davao Penal Colony POW camp in the Philippines.
IMHO the Allied POW's held by the Japanese went through more hell on earth than just about anybody else in world history ever had to experience. It is a shame that the provisions of the Japanese surrender didn't require reparations to be paid to these men. :mad:

cheezyflier
July 31st, 2010, 09:58
there's quite alot of people from many different countries that are quite "peeved" at japan's lack of an official "sorry guys" and reparation money. at this pojnt, i don't see what the point is.
50 or 60 yrs ago it might have meant something, but after all this time, it's useless and wouldn't do anything significant.

Naismith
July 31st, 2010, 10:53
Scotsman! Not much more can be said, they are a gritty bunch.

mrogers
July 31st, 2010, 18:44
Wow, that guy is a real survivor.

Bone
August 1st, 2010, 05:14
Amazing.

Ken Stallings
August 1st, 2010, 05:47
He has the same last name as the commander of First Para at Arnheim -- wonder if they are related?

His comments about the war and Japan are compelling.

In terms of the "reality show" it's about as "reality" and "unscripted" as a Cecile B. DeMille movie, but not as entertaining!

Cheers,

Ken

Bjoern
August 3rd, 2010, 13:41
This must qualify him as the unluckiest man in history, I guess. From one hell into another.