PDA

View Full Version : HDMI to Surround sound help..

jackedwardmorris95
July 26th, 2010, 02:13
I got my macbook to display through the TV, but the sound is still coming through the laptop rather than the TV or surround sound, does anyone know how I fix this,
Thanks,

Jack

Shessi
July 26th, 2010, 03:25
Hi Jack,
I'm not up on Mac OS/Bootcamp, but it may be a couple of things.

Go into your Apple Mac's version of the 'Control panel', search out sound settings and pick the right output ie. HDMI or external speakers via HDMI. Try different settings. (There may also be a a keyboard combined key stroke which swaps to an external sound? Check the user manual.)

If it doesn't work or there's not the choice then it may be a driver issue again. Try finding and installing the Mac version of the HDMI drivers for your TV. It may be on the install disc that came with the TV, it will have the Windows drivers on it so try installing the Windows version of those whilst in/running Windows.

This link may help.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PQaAZlcbgugJ:www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/90755-w7-mac-boot-camp-partition-no-sound.html+sound+%22mac+boot+camp%22&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk

Cheers

Shessi

jackedwardmorris95
July 26th, 2010, 04:10
Hi Jack,
I'm not up on Mac OS/Bootcamp, but it may be a couple of things.

Go into your Apple Mac's version of the 'Control panel', search out sound settings and pick the right output ie. HDMI or external speakers via HDMI. Try different settings. (There may also be a a keyboard combined key stroke which swaps to an external sound? Check the user manual.)

If it doesn't work or there's not the choice then it may be a driver issue again. Try finding and installing the Mac version of the HDMI drivers for your TV. It may be on the install disc that came with the TV, it will have the Windows drivers on it so try installing the Windows version of those whilst in/running Windows.

This link may help.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PQaAZlcbgugJ:www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/90755-w7-mac-boot-camp-partition-no-sound.html+sound+%22mac+boot+camp%22&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk

Cheers

Shessi

Its OK shessi,
How do you do it on windows.. Its exactly the same, I'm running windows, but on a mac,
if that makes it easier to explain..

Jack

Ghostrider
July 26th, 2010, 04:28
Yeah, this sounds like an easy fix - somewhere in your windows control panel\sound you need to tell the computer to use the HDMI out for sound output instead of the jack that is attached to your PC speakers.

The details depend on the OS you're running - I run XP SP2 in Bootcamp - seems to work fine, and does everything I need it to do, it's familiar, and I think uses less resources than Vista. But it's the same concept. As you know, HDMI cable will carry both HD video and surround sound signals.

jackedwardmorris95
July 26th, 2010, 05:26
Yeah, this sounds like an easy fix - somewhere in your windows control panel\sound you need to tell the computer to use the HDMI out for sound output instead of the jack that is attached to your PC speakers.

The details depend on the OS you're running - I run XP SP2 in Bootcamp - seems to work fine, and does everything I need it to do, it's familiar, and I think uses less resources than Vista. But it's the same concept. As you know, HDMI cable will carry both HD video and surround sound signals.

I'm running the same as you exactly! I looked around in the Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices and only could select my built in speakers. Could this be to do with the type of dual monitor display I use (I use only one monitor and that is my TV) Where exactly do you go to select the speakers ( I have a mini-display port to HDMI adapter, Plugged via HDMI into my Surround sound amp, then from another into my TV)

Jack

Ghostrider
July 26th, 2010, 06:22
As I remember, the sound on my system comes from both the PC speakers and the surround amp. I'm at work, so I'll have to look when I get home.

So you're running video and audio from your MacBook through your HDMI cable into your surround receiver, and then out to your speakers and TV. What you want to do is disable the HDMI audio output on your receiver. This way you're not sending your audio through the HDMI cable into your TV speakers. You want the output to go out to your stereo speakers, as opposed to out the HDMI cable into your TV speakers, which you probably want to disable too. You may also check your receiver's software. Mine, (Yamaha) has configuration software that will show up on your TV for setting up and optimizing surround, etc. Make sure there's not some "switch" you have to throw in there too, in order to disable the HDMI audio out signal. I'm pretty sure there was one on my system. Depends on the input/output you're using. Different inputs/outputs may use HDMI audio or not. You may want to try using a different input/output. Use CD instead of Cable/Sat or something along those lines. It's possible that not all in/outs support HDMI audio. Make sure you've disabled the HDMI audio out on the output you're using. What you're trying to do can certainly be done, but can take some persistence! Good luck!

Ghostrider
July 26th, 2010, 06:44
Hey Jack, I just changed my previous post after thinking about it - hope it helps. Keep at it, it can be done!

jackedwardmorris95
July 26th, 2010, 07:29
As I remember, the sound on my system comes from both the PC speakers and the surround amp. I'm at work, so I'll have to look when I get home.

So you're running video and audio from your MacBook through your HDMI cable into your surround receiver, and then out to your speakers and TV. What you want to do is disable the HDMI audio output on your receiver. This way you're not sending your audio through the HDMI cable into your TV speakers. You want the output to go out to your stereo speakers, as opposed to out the HDMI cable into your TV speakers, which you probably want to disable too. You may also check your receiver's software. Mine, (Yamaha) has configuration software that will show up on your TV for setting up and optimizing surround, etc. Make sure there's not some "switch" you have to throw in there too, in order to disable the HDMI audio out signal. I'm pretty sure there was one on my system. Depends on the input/output you're using. Different inputs/outputs may use HDMI audio or not. You may want to try using a different input/output. Use CD instead of Cable/Sat or something along those lines. It's possible that not all in/outs support HDMI audio. Make sure you've disabled the HDMI audio out on the output you're using. What you're trying to do can certainly be done, but can take some persistence! Good luck!

Hey ghostrider,
Thats just about it apart from another HDMI goes from the back of the amp in to the TV, thus ensuring that I only get surround sound, I put it directly into the TV with a single HDMI, But still no sound out of the speakers either. All I need to know is how to disable my laptop speakers and enable the surround speakers via HDMI, on Control panel/Sounds, Audio tab the default speaker device is cirrus logic audio HD and there are no other selectable speakers,
Thanks for all your help so far :salute:

Jack

Ghostrider
July 26th, 2010, 09:33
Hey ghostrider,
Thats just about it apart from another HDMI goes from the back of the amp in to the TV, thus ensuring that I only get surround sound, I put it directly into the TV with a single HDMI, But still no sound out of the speakers either. All I need to know is how to disable my laptop speakers and enable the surround speakers via HDMI, on Control panel/Sounds, Audio tab the default speaker device is cirrus logic audio HD and there are no other selectable speakers,
Thanks for all your help so far :salute:

Jack

What I'm saying is that you probably have to disable the HDMI audio out from your amp to your TV, and let that HDMI cable only carry the video to the TV. If it also carries the audio HDMI signal to your TV, your TV speakers are getting an HDMI digital audio signal, but you're not going to hear sound through your stereo speakers, as that's a 2ch/7ch stereo output, which is not getting a signal. Make sense? i.e. with respect to audio, the output will put out either HDMI audio to your TV, or stereo output to the speakers, not both. So you have to tell the output to use the stereo, or digital, or analog outs, whatever your speakers are connected to, not HDMI. So what you end up getting is not true surround. The signal from CFS2 is just 2 channel left/right stereo, so it's never going to turn into a 7.1 surround signal. All your speakers will produce sound, the main thing, but is it truly surround? No. You may also find that switching your amp from 2ch to 7ch may help. There are just a ton of permutations you have to work through here - to wit:

1. Computer software is set up correctly to output sound through the HDMI cable.
2. Amp software 'switches' are correct - putting out audio to the speakers, not the HDMI out of the amp.
3. Using the right output, and stereo selection - 2ch or 7ch
4. Speakers hooked up to the right connections for your setup (analog or digital).

Just some things to think about. Hope it helps. I promise it'll work if you keep at it!

Ghostrider
July 26th, 2010, 10:05
Also try selecting 2ch or 7ch stereo on your amp, instead of a surround mode. That may be all you need to do. Remember, the audio signal you're getting from CFS2 is only 2ch stereo. It probably won't play well with a surround decoder (software in your amp) Tell your amp to use 2ch or 7ch stereo. It will "upcode" your 2 channel signal from 2ch to to 7ch, but it will still be just left and right. But 3 left speakers, 3 right, and a subwoofer, you'll be in business.

Bottom line: There is no "surround" information in the audio signal put out by CFS2. So you can't play it through a surround decoder. It has to be stereo. At least, that's how it works for me - your mileage may vary.

It's hard for me to know just how your system is set up - speaker connections, etc. without 'eyes on.'

Ghostrider
July 28th, 2010, 07:36
Any luck, Jack?

jackedwardmorris95
July 30th, 2010, 02:02
Any luck, Jack?

My friend and I are just working on it now. Its definitely a setting within the TV as opposed to the computer, because he bought round an audio jack that went in to my DVD player from the mac but still no sound. We are currently just working through your previous notes. I might try it with another surround sound just to see,
Thanks for all your help,

Jack

Ghostrider
July 30th, 2010, 05:31
My friend and I are just working on it now. Its definitely a setting within the TV as opposed to the computer, because he bought round an audio jack that went in to my DVD player from the mac but still no sound. We are currently just working through your previous notes. I might try it with another surround sound just to see,
Thanks for all your help,

Jack

Sounds like a computer setting if you can plug the computer straight into the DVD player and still not get sound.

Looking at my setup now - works with 7ch stereo, no surround decoders running. But I get sound throught my front, center, rear, (left and right) subwoofer, and center speaker. So it's "7.1", but it's not surround, Just left and right channels.

Look at your windows control panel while running Bootcamp, and make sure your sound card is putting out audio throught that HDMI cable. You could test that by plugging it straight into the HDMI input on your TV, bypassing your amp completely, just to make sure that your computer is outputting sound through the HDMI. If you get sound on the TV speakers, you're good. Then you have to figure out what your amp is doing. It's just a lot of troubleshooting. But it will work!

jackedwardmorris95
August 1st, 2010, 15:48
Sounds like a computer setting if you can plug the computer straight into the DVD player and still not get sound.

Looking at my setup now - works with 7ch stereo, no surround decoders running. But I get sound throught my front, center, rear, (left and right) subwoofer, and center speaker. So it's "7.1", but it's not surround, Just left and right channels.

Look at your windows control panel while running Bootcamp, and make sure your sound card is putting out audio throught that HDMI cable. You could test that by plugging it straight into the HDMI input on your TV, bypassing your amp completely, just to make sure that your computer is outputting sound through the HDMI. If you get sound on the TV speakers, you're good. Then you have to figure out what your amp is doing. It's just a lot of troubleshooting. But it will work!

I have not found the solution, but I do know exactly what the problem is.(the PC not the TV) If I plug headphones/audio jack into the laptop I can select the output as the audio jack. I have tried both into my amp, my 60" TV and the 40" TV in my room, but it dosen't make a blind bit of difference, it is to do with the computer not recognising the HDMI as a sound output. It has taken me this long I know.. but I have no experience in this area, so thanks for all your help and at least we know whats wrong now.. if only I knew how to fix it... haha

Jack

Ghostrider
August 1st, 2010, 16:20
So take a mini plug ("Headphone jack") to RCA (Red/White) cable from your laptop headphone jack into the back of your amp, and you should be there!

Again, you'll only have left and right channels, not surround, but that's as good as it gets. Trust me, coming through your stereo, it rocks. Forget about your HDMI carrying an audio signal - it won't do any more than the cable I described, as all you've got is a L/R signal.

jackedwardmorris95
August 2nd, 2010, 20:39
So take a mini plug ("Headphone jack") to RCA (Red/White) cable from your laptop headphone jack into the back of your amp, and you should be there!

Again, you'll only have left and right channels, not surround, but that's as good as it gets. Trust me, coming through your stereo, it rocks. Forget about your HDMI carrying an audio signal - it won't do any more than the cable I described, as all you've got is a L/R signal.

Yeah I will do that! I went in to the store and asked about it, and they said that the adapter only transmits video no audio.. I can't believe I didn't realise that haha,

Jack

erufle
August 3rd, 2010, 04:06
I can tell you what my 12-year-old son learned about playing sound from our computer, through the HDMI cable, and out our 1-year-old Sony big screen. The computer is not a MAC but a 2-year-old HP laptop with Vista. You have to open up "sound" in the control panel. There are two options for the default playback. One is, of course, computer speakers. The other is "Realtek Digital Output." To use the HDMI you must choose Realtek as the default. When this is done the computer speakers will not work but the TV will play the sound. As far as surround sound goes, I am not sure that my 12-year-old has gotton that far. Sometime this week I intend to have him help me hook up a cockpit with my joystick and peddles so I can fly CFS2 on the bigscreen. I will ask him if he knows how to play it out of the surround system. If the TV sends sound to the surround system to be played it ought to work. Anyhow, I guess I will be tackling the same issues as you Jack. I'm just not quite that far along.

Ghostrider
August 3rd, 2010, 12:15
Another issue I run into is I find that I need to back away from the big screen, which requires some USB extension cables so I can take my joystick, keyboard, (and pedals if you use them) over to the couch, etc. Backing away from the big screen kind of defeats the purpose, if that makes sense, as the screen looks smaller the further you back away from it. I find it just as nice to be closer to my Mac Cinema Display, and have the sound through the stereo, which as stated before, rocks.

I guess the ideal would be to be close, but not too close to a big screen at eye level, with stereo sound. But my system in the living room has the TV up on the wall, and I'm pretty much sitting on the couch 10 feet or so away. So I'm more likely to use my computer monitor and amplified stereo speakers.

jackedwardmorris95
August 3rd, 2010, 16:44

I will try that later today, my only question is; will the audio go through a different channel that the picture goes through? If that is the case I will plug my laptop directly into the TV and I will still have sound,

Jack

Ghostrider
August 3rd, 2010, 17:00
On my amp, I can take the video from the HDMI cable, and tell it to use the analog (RCA) audio for sound. Not sure I'm understanding the question, though.