PDA

View Full Version : News on Cascade Game Foundry

crashaz
July 25th, 2010, 13:47
Just found this article as me and some of the guys were talking on Skype.... decided to go take a look.

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/07/new_dawn_for_pc_simulations_after_microsofts_groun ding_of_flight_sim.html?ana=from_rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TechFlash+%28TechFlash+-+Seattle%27s+Technology+News+Source%29

Make your own assumptions.... sounds like a possible train sim?

:wavey:

Lionheart
July 25th, 2010, 14:38
I think we all knew or know the next logical step is an absolute 'planet' with full neighborhoods and cities, and photo real would be the ultimate, a world based on high rez photography, from either high alt. planes or Sat photos.

Sims 3 has already taken that jump.

It would be interesting to see a 'small' sim based on 'Flight' from long ago done with todays technologies, but with modelled little towns and cars and roads and things, photo real like Flight was.

When that one gentleman did that 'link' system for Flight Simulator that could link into several of the worlds photo systems, like Google Earth, you could literally fly around and see the 'actual' world... I had so much fun flying over France, seeing the country sides.

So creating a world that is high rez for people to view, and possibly making a sim from that, I think would be amazing.

With the right platform and LOD technology, you could make it for both planes, trains, and automobiles....

:d

Bjoern
July 25th, 2010, 14:48
I think we all knew or know the next logical step is an absolute 'planet' with full neighborhoods and cities, and photo real would be the ultimate, a world based on high rez photography, from either high alt. planes or Sat photos.

Oh how much fun managing those terabytes of data would be...

I'd prefer a more accurate autogen algorithm myself. Keeps the amount of data down and accounts for a fairly accurate representation of the ground if done right.

Lionheart
July 25th, 2010, 20:15
Oh how much fun managing those terabytes of data would be...

I'd prefer a more accurate autogen algorithm myself. Keeps the amount of data down and accounts for a fairly accurate representation of the ground if done right.

There is one game out or coming out that does that, a military game, sort of like Arma-II. Very nicely done.

I would hate for the world though to look like FSX again. Using Google and the others really was well done. If only it worked like Flash...

Bill

Bjoern
July 26th, 2010, 10:47
If only it worked like Flash...

Especially you as an Apple gardener ( :icon_lol: ) should know that Flash is dead. :d

I really prefer a more broken down, layered concept of autogen, say no more textures with houses drawn on them, but a base texture (grass, dirt, asphalt, etc...), then a grid of roads, then placement of the 3D houses and trees, etc...

Granted, that method would require very, very careful processing of the source data and good placement algorithms, but the result would be way more effective than tons of photoreal data.