PDA

View Full Version : Some A2A B-17 Impressions

Oelwanne
July 25th, 2010, 11:28
Hi there,
here are some Screenshots from my last flight with the A2A B-17. Man i love that Plane:jump:!
Hope you enjoy it!

Ohh....and many thanks to Jankees for his great Repaints!:salute:

crashaz
July 25th, 2010, 12:09
Excellent shots! Thanks!! :wavey:

gajit
July 25th, 2010, 13:22
Yes - Jankees work just enhances a great product with choice :salute:

roger-wilco-66
July 25th, 2010, 14:55
Indeed, very nice shots!

Cheers,
Mark

stansdds
July 26th, 2010, 01:58
Very nice shots!

txnetcop
July 26th, 2010, 03:21
Yes that A2A B-17 and P-47 are everyday fliers for me...love that bomber!

jimjones
July 26th, 2010, 06:41
Great plane, the B17, but where is the documentation?

Oelwanne
July 26th, 2010, 07:30
Hey Guys, glad you like it. Canīt wait for the P-51 Accusim...:jump:
@Jimjones: What do you mean? If you looking for the B-17 Manual you can find it here:
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=21357

for "how to" Videos: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=21394

jimjones
July 26th, 2010, 10:45
I also found the same manual in a2a Sim Community. Seems stuff is in s constant state of flux. Last night I saw but did not d/l it in one of the early pages of the b17.Not anymore.

Lewis-A2A
July 26th, 2010, 23:23
Manuals are installed to your start menu under A2A simulations.

state of flux?

jimjones
July 30th, 2010, 04:37
I've generally avoided planes with start up procedures similar to MAMM'S b25 , but I have admired the B17 so much I could not help but to purchase the Accusim version.It has been a good decision yet there are some odd behaviors of the B17 not fully understood.

The most confusing, to me, is that the rudder makes a better turning action than banking the plane. I've always read on this forum that rudders don't turn a plane, banking does. Sure the 17 has a big rudder but is it accurately modeled? Landing becomes a bit more of a challenge but one gets used to the rudder being the action of choice for big turns.

There are many neat features. Forget to turn on the O2 at high altitudes and you hear yourself gasp for air until you pass out and the screen goes black, assumedly simming death. Don't know if there is a recovery key.

The sounds of the switches,inverter,aux power,startup of engines etc really add to this sim and provide clues about doing the correct procedure. Try diving toward the ground and pulling out at the last moment and hear the crew yell in fear and give comments about your flying abilities.

Annoying is that some actions,at times, don't show as an annotated message for its function. Also when that occurs you can't peform the action.I need to study the docs more to get the landing gear to work with the "G' key. Must be something I missed.

When starting an engine, sometimes someone calls out "clear prop", and sometimes not. Engines can be persnickity. After starting a couple and beginning another engine startup that one starts and repetitivly stops. Returning to the plane after a visit to the shop for a complete overhaul gave the same engine startup problem.

Have not tried the nav radios or navigation yet. Could have pop ups of these.

GypsyBaron
July 30th, 2010, 10:04
-SNIP-
I need to study the docs more to get the landing gear to work with the "G' key. Must be something I missed.

The landing gear switch, like the flaps switch, has THREE positions with the center
position being neutral. When you bring the gear up after takeoff using "G", once the
gear is confirmed up you should then hit "G" again to put the switch in the neutral
position. If you do not, when you hit "G" on your approach seemingly nothing will happen,
as that action puts the switch to neutral and the gear will not extend until you hit "G" a
second time.

With the flaps, when you activate them they go down/up until you hit the switch
a second time placing the switch to the neutral position.

When starting an engine, sometimes someone calls out "clear prop", and sometimes not.

Do you have the windows open? That is a must to be able to hear "Clear Prop!".

Engines can be persnickity.
Accu-Sim in action.

After starting a couple and beginning another engine startup that one starts and repetitivly stops. Returning to the plane after a visit to the shop for a complete overhaul gave the same engine startup problem.

The only time I have experienced this is when I forgot a step in the checklist...fuel valve
set to cutoff, magneto switch off or some such.

Have not tried the nav radios or navigation yet. Could have pop ups of these.

There is a pop-up to set the frequencies of all the radios. You can tune ADF2 in the VC
as that is the only one accessible to the pilots. The others use the 2D pop-up.

Paul

jimjones
July 30th, 2010, 10:24
Thenks for the tips.

jim