PDA

View Full Version : Second World War popular music...

ndicki
July 21st, 2010, 10:15
Been mucking about on You Tube, and I'm astonished to see everything there is... So how about a WW2 music thread? Most of us are interested in the culture of WW2, and it'd help that lot across the pond to see that there's more to life than Glenn Miller!

So for starters: (if anyone knows how to embed these directly?)

George Formby, Mr Wu's an Air Raid Warden now! (It helps to know the previous songs where he's running a Chinese laundry, and then becomes a window cleaner. But that was before the War.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnvgpeGxzak

My father enjoyed this. That says a lot about him.........

ndicki
July 21st, 2010, 10:27
I much prefer Noel Coward. I hope that doesn't say TOO much about me...

This is rather fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wveW9Tw2JKE&feature=related

This version is less acid I find, but easier to understand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-WaXrsFLgo&feature=related

Bearing in mind that it was written during the war, it is really very close to what really did happen...

greycap.raf
July 21st, 2010, 10:41
So for starters: (if anyone knows how to embed these directly?)

Write [*YOUTUBE]vnvgpeGxzak[/YOUTUBE*] where the tags are those same (without * of course) and the gibberish between them is what you can find at the very end of the Youtube address after the = mark and before the possible &feature=related. So:

vnvgpeGxzak

Phenozo
July 21st, 2010, 15:17
In the Mood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJE-onnw2gM

Vogelscheuche
July 21st, 2010, 19:55
Now that you mentioned music..... when I first installed ETO 1.0 it had different shell music in each of the eras. Now I noticed after turning up my sound sliders that the music is all the same in ver 1.31

When did this change?

ndicki
July 21st, 2010, 23:43
In the Mood

See what I meant?

Vogelscheuche
July 22nd, 2010, 22:28
The most popular sisters of the war years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ZVQP-O9Rg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5u8E4s57I0

ndicki
July 23rd, 2010, 08:51
If you've ever wondered about the "Mr Brown's gone up to Town" in the Dad's Army theme song, here he is.

Caroll Gibbons and the Savoy Orpheans, "Mister Brown of London Town"

il9z9BnRPVQ

oki
July 23rd, 2010, 11:37
we shouldn't forget that one:

8btnYYDbkqQ

oki
July 23rd, 2010, 12:03
she was actually a Swedish lady with a beautiful voice, but she lived and sang in Germany from the early thirties until the end of the war (and had a few problems afterwards back in Sweden)

ujsI2RkXofk&feature

ndicki
July 24th, 2010, 06:34
Difficult to find a decent version of this that doesn't have BNP or other extremist propaganda photos attached...

H4yWi06wwZQ

Nonato
July 24th, 2010, 07:17
Here's my contribution. This song was composed in 1944 when the brazilian expeditionary forca embarked for Italy. it's a bit too long I admit, but you don't have to listen to the end neither understand portuguese to realize what they're talking about .
Thanks for the thread

5l7WXUYOKeY

MajorMagee
July 24th, 2010, 10:08
j9J5Zt2Obko&hl=en_US&fs=1

This is the tune that I used as the theme music for the Panzer Elite - X mod.

oki
July 24th, 2010, 11:46
This one was sung in a movie titled something like "Great Freedom No. 7", actually an adress in Hamburg, but allegedly meant as a provocation to the NAZI party. Hans Albers, the star of the movie, looked like the perfect German, but never cooperated with the NAZIs. I believe the movie was even banned, but the song became very popular.

r9uWtuMzj5Q&feature

oki
July 24th, 2010, 12:08
I believe this one was a favourite of the German soldiers (particularly when sitting in the middle of nowhere and wondering why)

_JvX4g8ypSY

oki
July 24th, 2010, 12:28
Another song by Lale Andersen (recorded in 1942, I believe), the title is something like "Everything will pass, all will be over....", presumably meaning the war.

fy6BQgERi6E&feature

oki
July 24th, 2010, 13:03
....and a famous song by Joseph Schmidt (1933), because its beautiful. He was a German speaking Jewish singer from Romania (born 1904 in Dawideny when the city was still Austrian). He went to Berlin to be educated as a tenor in the twenties and became a famous radio singer in Germany. In 1933 he was not allowed to perform in Germany anymore. He emigrated and managed eventually to get into Switzerland where he died in 1942. His recordings are well known still today.

XCdo_gXIhtI

rbp71854
July 25th, 2010, 00:01
You need the era selectors from 1.30 that included the option for different uimuisic. The 1.31 update included era selectors which overwrote your existing install.

Now that you mentioned music..... when I first installed ETO 1.0 it had different shell music in each of the eras. Now I noticed after turning up my sound sliders that the music is all the same in ver 1.31

When did this change?

Vogelscheuche
July 25th, 2010, 01:05
You need the era selectors from 1.30 that included the option for different uimuisic. The 1.31 update included era selectors which overwrote your existing install.
Yeah... that was a great idea, huh?

ndicki
July 25th, 2010, 01:28
Oki - Period piece for your collection:

Es geht alles voruber,
Es geht alles vorbei,
Es gab Schnapps in Dezember,
Kriegen wir in Mai -
Zuerst faellt der Fuehrer,
Und denn die Partei,
Es geht alles voruber,
Es geht alles vorbei!

I used to do Luftwaffe re-enactment while I was still living in England, where such things are accepted more easily...

rbp71854
July 25th, 2010, 02:44
Yeah... that was a great idea, huh?

Not really, just a miss-step. The way I look at it, considering all that goes into the organizing and testing of updates, it is a very small fubar.

Vogelscheuche
July 25th, 2010, 07:47
Not really, just a miss-step. The way I look at it, considering all that goes into the organizing and testing of updates, it is a very small fubar.
Well that's encouraging... maybe a future patch will restore this sadly missed option?

oki
July 25th, 2010, 11:27
Oki - Period piece for your collection:

Es geht alles voruber,
Es geht alles vorbei,
Es gab Schnapps in Dezember,
Kriegen wir in Mai -
Zuerst faellt der Fuehrer,
Und denn die Partei,
Es geht alles voruber,
Es geht alles vorbei!

I used to do Luftwaffe re-enactment while I was still living in England, where such things are accepted more easily...

interesting, never saw that version ....:d

talking of re-enactment: in Duxford I saw a group of Luftwaffe soldiers (and something like an Afrikakorps officer), would be unthinkable in Germany (and probably illegal, because of showing the swastika in public)......:kilroy:

oki
July 25th, 2010, 12:05
another two lady singers well known from the movies

wYwZ77qLMUM

-jpwQgW5c6w

ndicki
July 25th, 2010, 12:12
talking of re-enactment: in Duxford I saw a group of Luftwaffe soldiers (and something like an Afrikakorps officer), would be unthinkable in Germany (and probably illegal, because of showing the swastika in public)......:kilroy:

Pity... It rather spoils it when they start to speak English...! It's just about legal in France if you are BLOODY careful - now. For years, nobody dared. Typical French approach - bad losers.

ndicki
July 25th, 2010, 12:16
IpwUki0Z8og

flyer01
July 25th, 2010, 23:46
Good song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY&feature=related

oki
July 27th, 2010, 12:59
ndicki,

there is also an "Engeland" version, but I doubt that then modern war-songs like that were really popular, probably just well known from the movies/radio and somehow frightening. That was however not the case with the good old marching songs, which were often not even glorifying death or threatening the enemy (e.g. Erika, Ein Heller und ein Batzen, Wenn die Soldaten etc.). Of the latter there was even a version by Marlene Dietrich. I sang a few traditional marching songs as a draftee, which was about the only traditional thing I found in the modern German army.

OUFAK0MCVW8

ndicki
July 27th, 2010, 23:53
Oki - quite agree with you. I think that among the ordinary, rank-and-file German soldiers there was a degree of cynicism that kept them well away from the latest generation of songs! Perhaps among the Waffen-SS or other political troops, but it's reasonable to think that most didn't want to sing that sort of thing...

The music here is actually by a post-war military band, as Oki says above. The film itself is very interesting...

ky-zdHMNFNM

Back home in England:

naC0PIL0EXE

oki
July 28th, 2010, 06:55
Well that's encouraging... maybe a future patch will restore this sadly missed option?

I don't really know why, but my 1.31 install has the automatic ui-music selector for the different eras. I can't remember what I did. May be there is already a patch available? (I check my files tonight....:kilroy:)