PDA

View Full Version : A 40 ton whale prang's a sailboat

Bone
July 21st, 2010, 09:00
I hope nobody minds me redirecting these pics to the SOH. They can be found on numerous sites and news channels, so they're not exactly proprietary.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/ss-100721-whale-02_grid-8x2.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/ss-100721-whale-03_grid-9x2.jpg

fsafranek
July 21st, 2010, 09:21
Wow, a direct hit.

Watched the old Gregory Peck movie about Capt. Horotia Hornblower of the RN this week. That second shot is what most of those ships looked like after an engagement. Knock the mast down and she's dead in the water.

Toastmaker
July 21st, 2010, 10:38
Boat owner should send the bill to the jackass that operates the Sea Sheppard. . .

:running:

cheezyflier
July 21st, 2010, 11:43
Boat owner should send the bill to the jackass that operates the Sea Sheppard. . .

http://paintingmylife.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/warm-milk.jpg

http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/lala-kitty.jpg

CybrSlydr
July 21st, 2010, 12:35

While emotionally fitting, I'd go more with criminal, pirate, vandal, etc.

He flies a skull with cross-bones/crook! Jackass indeed. Someone needs to put him in jail. Sooner the better.

jmig
July 21st, 2010, 13:27
I wonder what he did to piss the whale off? I thought the first picture might have been one of those photoshopped pictures....until I saw the second picture.

CybrSlydr
July 21st, 2010, 13:29
I wonder what he did to piss the whale off? I thought the first picture might have been one of those photoshopped pictures....until I saw the second picture.

My guess is he didn't do anything - looks like the wrong place wrong time to me.

TARPSBird
July 21st, 2010, 14:51
The whale better lawyer up. :d

Ghostrider
July 21st, 2010, 15:01
2 observations: First, what about the fact that the Japanese "research vessels" are operating in direct violation of the decades old international whaling moratorium? Their claim to be "researching" whales is a pathetic joke to mask their commercial enterprise, while the rest of the world looks the other way. Who's the criminal here? A whole national industry flying in the face of international law, or one ship and a few Zodiacs and some brave men and women trying to enforce it? Sea Sheppard is the criminal - Really? You might want to re-think that.

Second, I sail, and if I get in a whale's way - hey, I'm the one encroaching on his turf, not the other way around. Broaching is a part of his natural behavior. If I'm not willing to play ball with that, I can always stay the F off of the ocean. Whales and their kind have been here for millions of years longer than us naked apes have.

Sorry guys, couldn't let that one go.

CybrSlydr
July 21st, 2010, 15:12
Whales are "fish". They deserve no more protection from overfishing than any other fish. This moratorium on whaling is absurd.

Whaling should be subject to the same sort of harvesting limits as any other fish in regards to maintaining the population. A complete moratorium is unnecessary. In some cases, some countries will need to be closely and strictly monitored to make sure they comply with the limits.

What the Sea Sheppards are doing is stupid at best and criminal at next to best.

FAC257
July 21st, 2010, 15:18
From the article I was reading earlier today it was saying that several boats were in the area watching the whales. The couple on the sailboat made a simple mistake and sailed into the area under sail power with no engine running. The whale was a young one and they are thinking that the whale simply didn't know the boat was there because he couldn't hear it.

The couple on the sailboat saw the whale coming their way and thought it was going to go under the boat, which obviously it didn't. I could see where a whale making a beeline to go under the boat suddenly coming face to face with a keel hanging down in the way, might make the mistake of going aerial from being startled by an obstruction in it's path that it didn't sense. He pinged just a little too late.

FAC

kilo delta
July 21st, 2010, 15:22
Looks like he's GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT!

http://hbtl.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/royscheider.jpg

:d

CybrSlydr
July 21st, 2010, 15:25
Looks like he's GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT!

http://hbtl.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/royscheider.jpg

:d

lmfao

Well done, sir. :D

yank51
July 21st, 2010, 15:41
Whales are "fish". They deserve no more protection from overfishing than any other fish. This moratorium on whaling is absurd.

Whaling should be subject to the same sort of harvesting limits as any other fish in regards to maintaining the population. A complete moratorium is unnecessary. In some cases, some countries will need to be closely and strictly monitored to make sure they comply with the limits.

What the Sea Sheppards are doing is stupid at best and criminal at next to best.

Whales are not fish, they are a mammal...:rolleyes: Should check here if you'd like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale

Ghostrider
July 21st, 2010, 15:44
[QUOTE=CybrSlydr;449636]Whales are "fish". They deserve no more protection from overfishing than any other fish. This moratorium on whaling is absurd./QUOTE]

A whale is a fish? Why don't you research that one a little bit for me, and explain exactly how a whale is different physiologically, neurologically, anatomically, (other than size and shape) from you or I. Please. Help me out here. I have a bachelor's degree in biology, and a doctoral degree, but apparently, I'm really confused.

BTW, even if your assertion had any validity, whales have been over'fished' like few other species in history. Their populations were decimated before the moratorium, and are barely returning to sustainable levels - maybe - after decades of protection. Some species still won't survive even with protection.

CybrSlydr
July 21st, 2010, 15:45
I know they're mammals. Hence why I put fish in quotes. As in fishing.

Ghostrider
July 21st, 2010, 15:51
"Things are not always as they seem - the humans on Planet earth had always assumed that they were the most intelligent creatures because they had accomplished so much - the wheel, New York, wars, and so on, while all the dolphins (small whales) ever did was muck around in the water having a good time. The dolphins, on the other hand, always assumed that they were the most intelligent creatures on earth - for precisely the same reasons."

- Douglas Adams - Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Major_Spittle
July 21st, 2010, 15:53

You are very ignorant on the subject and should read up on what a whale is and how "overfished" they have been and how easy it is to "fish" them with today's technology.

Ghostrider
July 21st, 2010, 16:05

Sorry, Buddy, but that's not what this says, or it's clear intent. BTW, fish need to be protected from our depredations too. Mankind is too numerous, too greedy, and too biologically 'successful' for our own good. We are our own worst enemy, and that of the rest of the planet.
We are slowly destroying the miraculous planet we evolved on, and there ain't nowhere else for us to go.

I hope that our species wises up in time to get a little more sustainable way of life.

I'll stop preaching, and get back to CFS2 where I belong, before I get myself in trouble. I"ve said what I need to say.

Wing_Z
July 21st, 2010, 16:38
Maybe it has to do with the tourist industry...

Whatever, here's a list of countries involved with whaling:

Canada, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Island of Bequia, Saint Lucia, Japan, Iceland, Norway, Faroe Islands, Greenland, Indonesia, Russia and The United States of America.

CybrSlydr
July 21st, 2010, 16:41
Then allow me to clarify (we certainly have a problem reading each other's intent, don't we? :wiggle: ).

I used the term in quotes to denote that they are an aquatic foodstuff. Just like carp, salmon, tuna, etc. The rest of the time was as a general aquatic descriptor.

Wales are no different than fish or buffalo or cows. We don't seem to get all misty-eyed over our beef stock, yet wales are afforded this almost angelic pedestal due to some sort of deification from an overstretched sense of guilt from our past over-harvesting.

Those big, sleepy doe eyes. The languid motion. The way they care for their young. Lots of anthropomorphism. Which is ridiculous.

As I said, the only manner in which they should be protected is to help their numbers rebound to a sustainable amount with harvesting factored into the equation. Then, the strict quotas on amounts harvested should be enforced to make sure the species is sustainable.

CybrSlydr
July 21st, 2010, 16:42
Maybe it has to do with the tourist industry...

Whatever, here's a list of countries involved with whaling:

Canada, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Island of Bequia, Saint Lucia, Japan, Iceland, Norway, Faroe Islands, Greenland, Indonesia, Russia and The United States of America.

I'm glad you brought that up - I was going to say something along those lines in my next post.

Now I don't have to. :)

Ghostrider
July 21st, 2010, 16:50
OK, so there's life, and then there's "Human life". Only the latter counts. I see. Wonder how that'll work out as we continue to dismantle the ecosystem. Let's keep doing what we're doing. Short-sighted, short-lived greed. That's working real well, huh?

Then again, who cares? Hopefully you and I will be long dead before any of this comes back to really bite us, right?

I'm done here.

CybrSlydr
July 21st, 2010, 16:53
OK, so there's life, and then there's "Human life". Only the latter counts. I see. Wonder how that'll work out as we continue to dismantle the ecosystem. Let's keep doing what we're doing. Short-sighted, short-lived greed. That's working real well, huh?

Then again, who cares? Hopefully you and I will be long dead before any of this comes back to really bite us, right?

I'm done here.

Did you miss the part where I said they should be brought back to sustainable levels with harvesting factored in? The way I'm talking about would keep the ecosystem intact as the whales wouldn't be hunted into extinction.

Bone
July 21st, 2010, 16:58
I believe in managed harvests, and being responsible caretakers of this planet. Mankind has long ago been identified as the cancer of the Earth. We've done harm like no other species and need to figure out a plan, and quickly.

CybrSlydr
July 21st, 2010, 17:02
I believe in managed harvests, and being responsible caretakers of this planet. Mankind has long ago been identified as the cancer of the Earth. We've done harm like no other species and need to figure out a plan, and quickly.

I completely agree. The Matrix was quite illuminating to me in that regard.

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

Ghostrider
July 21st, 2010, 17:02
No, I didn't miss that part, CS, but we are a looong way from whales having a fair chance at survival without a moratorium. And I'm talking specifically about hunting the great whales with fleets of factory whaling ships. I'm not talking about an Innuit tribe killing one whale a year from their sealskin kayaks.

I have not seen the matrix, but that quote is right on. Like I said, my hope is that our species can wise up before it's too late. "There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here."

With that, I'll sign off - we seem to haev found some mutual understanding, and that's good.

Ghostrider
July 21st, 2010, 17:03

Well said, Bone.

Toastmaker
July 22nd, 2010, 04:20
Nothing wrong with protecting endangered species. Restricted whale harvesting will do that. But the actions of the zealots on Sea Sheppard are criminal and should be treated as such. The "ends" do NOT justify the "means". The FACT is, the Japanese, and others, are committing no crime- regardless of your opinion about whaling.

Seems to be a bit of self-hatred for meerly being a member of the human race going on around here. There's therapy available for that.

Sascha66
July 22nd, 2010, 04:39
Maybe that 1st photograph was faked after all - in the first image you can see coast in the background and the image is very sharp. In the second there is only ocean in the background and a ship although the lighting hasn't changed much so camera seems to be still looking in the same position. And the skipper in the first shot does not seem to notice the whale coming at him at all - a real stealther! :bump:

CybrSlydr
July 22nd, 2010, 04:59
You can still see the coast - just look behind the tanker in the second pic. Plus, with the tanker in the way, the camera's exposure would work to fit it in, not the faint coast in the background.

pilottj
July 22nd, 2010, 06:54
"Things are not always as they seem - the humans on Planet earth had always assumed that they were the most intelligent creatures because they had accomplished so much - the wheel, New York, wars, and so on, while all the dolphins (small whales) ever did was muck around in the water having a good time. The dolphins, on the other hand, always assumed that they were the most intelligent creatures on earth - for precisely the same reasons."

- Douglas Adams - Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

So long and thanks for all the fish!:jump:

Ghostrider
July 22nd, 2010, 12:17
So long and thanks for all the fish!:jump:

:wavey: Douglas Adams was the man! And taken far too soon...