PDA

View Full Version : How was your RIAT+pics of the event

ian elliot
July 20th, 2010, 09:11
Ive never had a bad time at RIAT but this year was a bit of an effort, after traveling through the nite, started coming down with a sore throat, headach deal just as i arrived and it was a really cold day, for me anyway.
The static park seems to be getting smaller but there was still some good qaulity stuff there, really liked the very clean looking Omani airforce C130 and the Polish Su22, im a sucker for old cold war metal. The Battle of Britian village was fun and educating as well, shocked and plesently suprised to see the Yorkshire air museums Me109 on display in one of the tents, that must of been a headach transporting that down.
There was some great flying also, the F22 was unbilevable, there was so much excitment in anticipation of this jets display and it didnt dissapoint, i didnt take any pics of the flying im afraid but im sure clips of the performance will turn up on you-tube in the next couple of days, i'll keep my eyes open. The Airbus A400 large transport was pretty impressive also, reminded me of the time i saw the first C-17 demo at Farnborough about 12 years ago but better.
Ive included some pics, not a great selection im afraid, i was'nt feeling 100% and Sundays weather was a bit gray but it should give you an idea of what its about,
Apologies for lots of views of the aformention'd Su22 but theres not going to be many of them around much longer, probably the last time i'll see one in the flesh, and the EADS Me109, which was also a highlite for me, although i thought its flying dispaly was abit dissapointing.
Hope everyone else who went had a good day, looking forward to next years already. think i'll pay extra and take out a FRAIT package. Would anyone know the dates of next years event, i have to think about booking time of work petty soon even though its a year away.
cheers ian
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianelliot/sets/72157624412809099/
c

Jagdflieger
July 20th, 2010, 13:10
Great photos Ian. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Matt Wynn
July 20th, 2010, 14:11
Ian, my RIAT (Pronounced Ree-At) was fantastic, Volunteer Staff and all the benefits that comes with it ;) put through my thoughts to my manager this evening, i work with some of the best guys you could ever imagine while there...

Static park does seem to get smaller, but that is due to the economic crisis currently i do believe, hence why the Greeks didn't bring any aircraft... but apart from that to me the F-22 was nothing really special, sure it's manouverable but that damn commentary killed it for me, best display... well no doubt in my mind, has to be the Patrouille France or Klu F-16MLU Demonstration, 'Hi-tec' really doing a great job after replacing 'Sheik' as demonstration pilot...

if anyones there next year, pop into one of the public info tents, i'll be in one of them and if i'm not ask and the guys will fire you in my direction :salute:

2011 - Saturday 16 & Sunday 17 July

VinFlyer
July 20th, 2010, 16:12
Ian I hope the show made up a bit for you feeling a bit sick. The weather during the weekend indeed wasn't what I had hoped for but at least it stayed dry. You made some nice pictures.

Smoothie, to you and all those volunteers at Fairford a big thank you. As always a good organized airshow. I don't think could exist without the help of the big group of volunteers.

I just got back from the show yesterday early morning (660 km trip from Fairford to Holland) but I really had a great 3 day stay at the show. My first time at the FRIAT grandstand where I had a good position to make some nice pictures. Unfortunately the stand wasn't situated exactly at the center of the display line so I couldn't make the brake and cross-passes pictures of the display teams I wanted to make. All in all it was a great show with the F-22 giving an impressive demo (first time for me) but I think it still is a big miss the Romanian Mig-21 canceled their participation.
I posted some of my pictures at the Photography forum here (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=40049). For now, one of my best one of the weekend:

ian elliot
July 21st, 2010, 08:03
Thanks for the dates Smoothie, i can work out what im doing next year, funny you should mention the F22 commentary, i know its been getting plenty of comments on other spotter forums, but i managed to watch the display from quite well away from the display line, over by the Spits and Me109 where there were no PA system, so i never got to hear it.
A big :applause: to all the Volunteers, cheers ian