PDA

View Full Version : Sunderland window circular detail

BeauBrummie
July 19th, 2010, 07:41

This is for all those who were scraching thier heads over this detail and as I scoured my books and t'web, but found nothing, I decided to request help for the Imperial War Museum Duxford. Here is the reply (some folk got it right):

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Sunderland windscreen/windows.

The circular devices are a form of windscreen wiper to give the pilots a clear view whilst taxying at sea. These type of wipers are more commonly found on boats and ships where you often see the circular outline.

I don't have any further details on the wiper fitted to the Sunderland but from the photo you supplied, they look as if they were hand operated by the knob just visible by the right pilots ear. They would only need to be used on the sea as once airborne , the airflow over the windscreen would keep it clear.

Our Sunderland does not have these fitted, as (as far as I can
ascertain) not all had them.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Andy Robinson.

Collections Officer.
Imperial War Museum, Duxford.

ndicki
July 19th, 2010, 22:25
See things like that on all good fishing smacks!

hairyspin
July 29th, 2010, 11:13
I'd be very surprised if that were hand-operated, a pilot only has two hands - for throttle (etc) and stick! I know Sunderlands had a large crew, but Official Glass Spinner In The Way Again Sit Down Son isn't on any crew list I've seen... :isadizzy:

If the Navy could manage motors for theirs, I'd think it dashed mean not to fit them to Sundys! Mind you, Walruses didn't have them, so if you fancy a giggle, read Alex Henshaw's description of takeoff from the sea in Sigh for a Merlin.

ndicki
July 29th, 2010, 12:31
I seem to remember that there's something to do with air flow which makes them rotate - or something. Very hazy, but still connected to fishing smacks.