PDA

View Full Version : You all know what this means.....

Cees Donker
July 16th, 2010, 09:38
...don't ya??
:wiggle:

Cees

Milton Shupe
July 16th, 2010, 09:51
Yes, it means that musicians have a talent that transcends music equipment; that they are creative people who love to bring beauty into the world, and not just in the form of sounds, but visual beauty as well. They are not just creatively talented, they are also detail minded and determined individuals who must succeed and who must share.

We thank you for your contributions, in whatever form they arrive.

Lionheart
July 16th, 2010, 10:47
Hey Cees,

You got FSDS. Nice!

I started out in that program. Excellent choice.

:ernae:

Let Bjoern fill you in on the way of life of a developer. Its hilarious.

Bill

middle
July 16th, 2010, 10:47
Hee Hee..Milton, I like that definition...mid

TARPSBird
July 16th, 2010, 12:04
It means I'll have more tech support here at SOH when I finally attempt to build a plane of my own! :d Looking forward to whatever you're cooking up.

huub vink
July 16th, 2010, 12:28
I think somebody started to build a Fokker D-XVI ;)

Huub

Cees Donker
July 16th, 2010, 13:53
I think somebody started to build a Fokker D-XVII ;)

Huub

Close enough: a Fokker D-XVI.....

Cees

Cees Donker
July 16th, 2010, 13:55
Yes, it means that musicians have a talent that transcends music equipment; that they are creative people who love to bring beauty into the world, and not just in the form of sounds, but visual beauty as well. They are not just creatively talented, they are also detail minded and determined individuals who must succeed and who must share.

We thank you for your contributions, in whatever form they arrive.

Chapeau to you Milton and to the rest! Thanks for the kind words!

Cees

Milton Shupe
July 16th, 2010, 15:27
You are welcome, but remember the words as spoken by great men:

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. — Ralph Waldo Emerson

When you are expected to exceed expectations, expect the unexpected. — Oleg Vishnepolsky

Mediocrity is forgiven more easily than talent. — Emil Krotky

Wim
July 16th, 2010, 22:29
Cees,

that is looking promising, some other Fokker in the making.

:jump:

Wim

Cees Donker
July 17th, 2010, 02:05
You are welcome, but remember the words as spoken by great men:

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. — Ralph Waldo Emerson

When you are expected to exceed expectations, expect the unexpected. — Oleg Vishnepolsky

Mediocrity is forgiven more easily than talent. — Emil Krotky

Wise words Milton!

Cees,

that is looking promising, some other Fokker in the making.

Wim

Would that be a D.21???

Cees

Wim
July 17th, 2010, 02:49
Would that be a D.21???

Cees[/QUOTE]

Still some work to do on that one, mostly interior work. Hoping for some cooler weather so my puter doesn't melt:jump:.

Wim

Cees Donker
July 17th, 2010, 06:07
I'm learning......and having a great time.

Cees

Cees Donker
July 26th, 2010, 02:59
Man, this is fun!

:salute:

Cees

Shessi
July 26th, 2010, 03:29
Looking good Cees! :jump:

Cheers

Shessi

Cees Donker
July 27th, 2010, 08:10
Thanks Shessi. This is so addictive!

Cees

huub vink
July 27th, 2010, 11:57
Very nice Cees! You really managed to amaze me again!

Huub

Cees Donker
July 27th, 2010, 12:22
Thanks Huub! I can use some help with the texturing in the future. I hoped you could do the texturing on this one. I'll come back to you when I'm done with the model. And I can use some help with the flight model! Is there a FM guru who's willing to do this?

Cees

TARPSBird
July 27th, 2010, 19:36
Cees, you've made a lot of progress in a short period of time. I hope I can do as well when I finally take the plunge and try to build some winged creature. :)

Cees Donker
July 27th, 2010, 23:14
:wavey:
Cees, you've made a lot of progress in a short period of time. I hope I can do as well when I finally take the plunge and try to build some winged creature. :)

Working with FSDS, I'm very much in debt to Dave Eckert. He has released among lots of files a treasure like the Sopwith Camel so that you can learn all his tricks!

Cees

TARPSBird
July 28th, 2010, 00:53
Cees, I'll keep that in mind. There are several Japanese and US Navy types from WWII and earlier that I'd like to create someday. Three-view and cross-section plans of some of these obscure types are hard to find.

Ferry_vO
July 28th, 2010, 02:14
You are making good progress Cees!

:applause:

Cees Donker
July 28th, 2010, 03:05
I'm waiting for some scans a member of the Nederlandse Luchtvaart site http://www.nederlandseluchtvaart.nl/ promised to make for me. Until that time I cam master all the animations and different techniques to to get this plane in FS9 and probably FSX too...

Cees

huub vink
July 29th, 2010, 11:06
Thanks Huub! I can use some help with the texturing in the future. I hoped you could do the texturing on this one. I'll come back to you when I'm done with the model. And I can use some help with the flight model! Is there a FM guru who's willing to do this?

Cees

Of course Cees. Although there where only about 20 Fokker D-XVIs made, there are several liveries possible. The olive-natural metal 275, the all olive version, the olive version with neutrality markings and an all silver Italian one (I found a very poor picture of this version).

Cheers,
Huub

Cees Donker
July 31st, 2010, 12:26
Some progress...got all the animations working.

Cees

Wing_Z
July 31st, 2010, 12:57
Pretty amazing, Cees...time well spent! :salute:

huub vink
July 31st, 2010, 13:25
Looks good Cees! Will you do "just" this version or will you also make a model with the early diagonal strut like the 275 had?

Cheers,
Huub

Cees Donker
July 31st, 2010, 14:31
Looks good Cees! Will you do "just" this version or will you also make a model with the early diagonal strut like the 275 had?

Cheers,
Huub

Huub,

The drawing I'm working from has the early strut and the early landing gear. I chose to do the later version first, but I will certainly do the early version too. Perhaps the three bladed version with a different motor is a nice alternative too? Are you ready for a first beta?

Cees

Cees Donker
July 31st, 2010, 19:43
Pretty amazing, Cees...time well spent! :salute:

My wife has another opinion on this.....:jump:

Cees

huub vink
August 1st, 2010, 06:25
Are you ready for a first beta?

Wow Cees, I noticed the time of your last post yesterday evening and the first one today....
And I thought I was up early this morning!

And about your question.... no need to ask!

Cheers,
Huub

Cees Donker
August 1st, 2010, 11:48
Wow Cees, I noticed the time of your last post yesterday evening and the first one today....
And I thought I was up early this morning!

And about your question.... no need to ask!

Cheers,
Huub

Who needs sleep?

Cees

Cees Donker
August 2nd, 2010, 05:35
Jamie and Milton,

Thanks for the help and the advice!

Cees

Matt Wynn
August 2nd, 2010, 05:44
looking good Cees, gotta love these early types, i use FSDS myself but only for scenery... never graduated to aircraft... mainly because of fsds adding odd shadows when you smooth something out *puzzled look*

Cees Donker
August 2nd, 2010, 11:26
Wim also joined the troops! Got some good advice and examples from him too! Man, what a great site this is with great always helpful members!
If anyone has any material on the Fokker D.16: drawings, photographs, anything, please share it here with us / me??

Cees

Milton Shupe
August 2nd, 2010, 15:41
Jamie and Milton,

Thanks for the help and the advice!

Cees

Wow! That looks great! :applause:

Slund
August 2nd, 2010, 15:51
That's one of the finest first attempts I've seen at aircraft modelling. Your doing a far sight better/faster than I did, well done Cees. Can't wait to take her for a spin.

norab
August 2nd, 2010, 17:46
don't know if these are any help

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/2008/05/06/fokker-dxvi/

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Visschedijk/6711.htm

http://www.lva-40.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=62

Cees Donker
August 2nd, 2010, 20:21
don't know if these are any help

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/2008/05/06/fokker-dxvi/

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Visschedijk/6711.htm

http://www.lva-40.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=62

I've got all these already.....but thanks for taking the time!

Cees

Stickshaker
August 3rd, 2010, 02:41
Cees, do you have Adriaan Viruly’s book ‘Voor vrij… contact?’ It contains a chapter, a photo and a diagram of the D.XVI. I have it somewhere and can send you a scan. It does not provide much information, but it may help.

Cees Donker
August 3rd, 2010, 02:56
Cees, do you have Adriaan Viruly’s book ‘Voor vrij… contact?’ It contains a chapter, a photo and a diagram of the D.XVI. I have it somewhere and can send you a scan. It does not provide much information, but it may help.

Yes please! Perhaps Huub has scanned that one already! But anything is welcome, more than welcome!

Cees

Lionheart
August 3rd, 2010, 10:44
Hey Cees,

I see you are working in FSDS. A couple of the guys have found ways to export super high poly count models into FS9 as well as getting past the 4MM weld limit. You might want to give it a look through. You can make some really nice, smooth, high poly count parts now and once you learn the technique, its not that difficult.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20064

Bill

(Im using Gmax, so its a sligthly different technique for me).

Cees Donker
August 3rd, 2010, 11:33
Hey Cees,

I see you are working in FSDS. A couple of the guys have found ways to export super high poly count models into FS9 as well as getting past the 4MM weld limit. You might want to give it a look through. You can make some really nice, smooth, high poly count parts now and once you learn the technique, its not that difficult.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20064

Bill

(Im using Gmax, so its a sligthly different technique for me).

Thanks Bill!

Cees

Cees Donker
August 4th, 2010, 12:01
I must have the addiction-gen! It's hard to tear myself loose from the modelling! Here's a little update. Soon I will begin overhauling some parts, but for the moment I've got a plane and it already looks like a Fokker! There's even a VC!

Cees

Cees Donker
August 4th, 2010, 12:03

Cees

huub vink
August 4th, 2010, 14:02
Cees, the drawing I e-mailed you came from a different book than the book Stickshaker is referring to.

I did find the drawing below, which seems quite accurate. I have e-mailed it to you in a larger format. It is the drawing on the cover of the booklet "Fokkers in uniform". The only picture form a D.XVI inside is the well known picture from the 275.

Cheers,
Huub

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/D-16voorkantboekje_klein.jpg

Lionheart
August 4th, 2010, 15:43
Your next addiction will be finding the right effect textures for your planes... Hours just for a right engine photo, rust exhaust photo, tire photo... 'nope.. that wont do.. nope, nope, no, too bright.. nope... ' (days later... ) THATS IT!!!!

Matt Wynn
August 4th, 2010, 15:58
Your next addiction will be finding the right effect textures for your planes... Hours just for a right engine photo, rust exhaust photo, tire photo... 'nope.. that wont do.. nope, nope, no, too bright.. nope... ' (days later... ) THATS IT!!!!

too bright? photoshop and adjust the exposure.... same for most images adjust the exposure, for fabric convert to greyscale and lighten/darken as neccessary and use as a multiply or overlay layer ;) piece of cake :wiggle:

Cees Donker
August 8th, 2010, 12:29
...for the promised scans........

Cees

huub vink
August 11th, 2010, 12:54
One of the first aircraft with swept back wings! The Fokker D.XIV. However when the prototype crashed and the pilot was killed, the project was abandoned.

A pity as it was a really revolutionary aircraft in its days (1925).

Cheers,
Huub

Cees Donker
August 11th, 2010, 13:11
too bright? photoshop and adjust the exposure.... same for most images adjust the exposure, for fabric convert to greyscale and lighten/darken as neccessary and use as a multiply or overlay layer ;) piece of cake :wiggle:
With my repainting experience that will be no problem!

Cees

Matt Wynn
August 11th, 2010, 15:08
yup no problem for you Cees, i normally use a seamless canvas texture on my private work adjusted so that it's an overlay (have to make underlying colours slightly darker as a result) and adjust opacity and *poof*.... insta-canvas surfaces :icon_lol:

Cees Donker
August 12th, 2010, 10:37
yup no problem for you Cees, i normally use a seamless canvas texture on my private work adjusted so that it's an overlay (have to make underlying colours slightly darker as a result) and adjust opacity and *poof*.... insta-canvas surfaces :icon_lol:

But Huub will do the paintwork on this one. He's good! Here's som progress. Landing gear! Spinner!

Cees

Cees Donker
August 13th, 2010, 22:24
Screenies previous post: landing gear in working order (animations and all!)

Cees

BTW: Can anyone here help me to material about the cockpit of this wonderful bird?

OBIO
August 13th, 2010, 22:49
Looking great Cees!

huub vink
August 15th, 2010, 05:20
Its getting better and better!

Huub

Cees Donker
August 15th, 2010, 07:21
Thanks guys!

I'm of to the Aviodrome tomorrow. Made an appointment to search through the archives. Of course the D.XVI is my main goal, but I'll go for anything D.XIV, C.V and T5 related! Let's put some Fokkers on the menu!

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Cees

Edit: Been working on the engine. So far I've got an Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah. That one was used in the Koolhoven FK.51. Seven more cilinders and we have an Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar that was used in the D.XVI!
Edit 2: And here's the Jaguar!
Cees

Wing_Z
August 15th, 2010, 12:05
I guess becoming a world authority on early Fokkers goes with the job!
Something bemuses me...looking at that landing gear.
At the exact point where the cross brace carries highest bending stress, it crosses its counterpart, and goes to 1/3 thickness!
Why didn't they just kink the struts??

huub vink
August 15th, 2010, 13:41
The engine looks great Cees! And have a good time at the Aviodrome tomorrow!

Cheers,
Huub

Cees Donker
August 15th, 2010, 14:00
I guess becoming a world authority on early Fokkers goes with the job!
Something bemuses me...looking at that landing gear.
At the exact point where the cross brace carries highest bending stress, it crosses its counterpart, and goes to 1/3 thickness!
Why didn't they just kink the struts??
Beats me! But it took me quite a while to get that right! As it took me a while to merge the engine in the airplane model. Huub, you got mail!

Cees

OBIO
August 15th, 2010, 15:51
Cees

Those are some seriously nice radial engines you have put together.

OBIO

Matt Wynn
August 15th, 2010, 20:02
nice job Cees, you're a quick Fokker aren't you :icon_lol: great job on the engines! can't with till i get an FS PC Again..... keep up the great work, your beers on me :ernae:

Cees Donker
August 15th, 2010, 21:29
One more week vacation to go and then real life will take its toll! So I want to get things done! With all the detailing on the outside and the VC to go I'm beginning to wonder if this model will get to the limits of FSDS? Maybe I'll have to learn the new method Bill brought to our attention in the future.

Cees

Cees Donker
August 15th, 2010, 21:50
Cees

Those are some seriously nice radial engines you have put together.

OBIO

Thanks OBIO,

One you've got a good radial, you can use it in differerent configs, numbers of cilinders. Took me a day long modelling BTW!

Cees

Cees Donker
August 16th, 2010, 09:41
As I can't get the fuselage right in the usual way, I started building as they did in the old days! Great fun!

Cees

Wing_Z
August 16th, 2010, 11:43
Looks like you have a ready-made damage model!

Cees Donker
August 17th, 2010, 02:27
Using a nearly completed tube frame I began buiding the fuselage skin. An adapted frame will also be used in the VC, so the work done on that serves a double purpose! When the front of the fuselage, where it goes from almost square to rounded, is done, I'm one (giant) step further in the proces of building this beautiful Fokker plane from the thirties.

:ernae:

Cees

Ferry_vO
August 17th, 2010, 03:04
Great work so far Cees! Good to see you've picked up one of Fokker's less successful designs.

Found a photo of the three prototypes which show three different engines, three different landing gear configs and at least two different wing configs!

One was designed with a Jaguar engine for Italy but ended up in Manchuria of all places, the second prototype had a Bristol jupiter engine and was sold to Hungary who ordered another three aircraft.
The last one had the 625 hp Curtiss Conqueror and was built for the LA-KNIL but after the prototype crashed no aircraft was ordered. The Dutch LVA did order the D.XVI, but with the Jaguar engine. Fourteen were ordered, and registered 275-288. Vijf crashed within a short time span, and other suffered from engine failures so the aircraft was restricted to a limited range away from the field. Reducing the diameter of the pistons a bit helped to solve the engine problem, but increased the oil consumption limiting the endurance of the aircraft to 1.5 hours while it could carry enough fuel for 3 hour! On may 10th 1940 only the 277 was still operational, flying with the 'jachtvliegschool' at De Vlijt and was captured intact by the Germans.

Cees Donker
August 17th, 2010, 03:19
Great work so far Cees! Good to see you've picked up one of Fokker's less successful designs.

Found a photo of the three prototypes which show three different engines, three different landing gear configs and at least two different wing configs!

One was designed with a Jaguar engine for Italy but ended up in Manchuria of all places, the second prototype had a Bristol jupiter engine and was sold to Hungary who ordered another three aircraft.
The last one had the 625 hp Curtiss Conqueror and was built for the LA-KNIL but after the prototype crashed no aircraft was ordered. The Dutch LVA did order the D.XVI, but with the Jaguar engine. Fourteen were ordered, and registered 275-288. Vijf crashed within a short time span, and other suffered from engine failures so the aircraft was restricted to a limited range away from the field. Reducing the diameter of the pistons a bit helped to solve the engine problem, but increased the oil consumption limiting the endurance of the aircraft to 1.5 hours while it could carry enough fuel for 3 hour! On may 10th 1940 only the 277 was still operational, flying with the 'jachtvliegschool' at De Vlijt and was captured intact by the Germans.

Can you share the photo Ferry? I can use all possible material.

Cees

Ferry_vO
August 17th, 2010, 03:32
It's a pretty small photo Cees, but I'll see what I can do! Need to get my old scanner working under W7 first though..

Ferry_vO
August 17th, 2010, 03:56
Sorry Cees but there's no software to get my scanner working with W7/64-bit..

Ferry_vO
August 17th, 2010, 04:06
Well who needs a scanner when you have an 18-mp dslr?

Do you have an e-mail adress for me Cees? I've lost a few in the last computer crash..

huub vink
August 17th, 2010, 07:42
Cees,

Thanks for your e-mail. I will have a look at it this evening as real life limited my "play" time.

Is the picture sorted out? I do have the same picture in the book "Fameuze Fokker vliegtuigen" (Famous Fokker aircrafts). I assume it is the same source Ferry is referring to, as the picture is small and the extreme high contrast hides more or less all details.

However if wanted I can scan it tomorrow at work.

Cheers,
Huub

Ferry_vO
August 17th, 2010, 07:46
Huub, this is what I have:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Diversen/IMG_6463.jpg

However, SOH now automatically resizes to 800 pixels wide, I do have it double the size if Cees wants it.

Edit: Try this direct link : http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Diversen/?action=view&current=IMG_6463.jpg

huub vink
August 17th, 2010, 08:24
Yep its the same picture and (at least for me) it does open in full format at Photobucket.

The aircrafts at the picture are all early models as the final production aircraft which was used by the LVA didn't have the long diagonal strut between the main wing struts and the fuselage. Only the 275 which was delivered as evaluation aircraft had these struts.

Cheers,
Huub

Ferry_vO
August 17th, 2010, 08:46
The aircraft in the picture are all early models

From left to right: The Italian D.XVI with the 460 HP Siddeley Jaguar, the Hungarian D.XVI with the Bristol Jupiter (Also 460 hp) and the KNIL D.XVI with the 625 hp Curtiss Conqueror.

The other photos from the book 'De Nederlandse Vliegtuigen' by Theo Wesselink and Thijs Postma:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Diversen/IMG_6464.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Diversen/IMG_6464.jpg
[/URL]

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Diversen/IMG_6465.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Diversen/IMG_6465.jpg (http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Diversen/IMG_6466.jpg)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Diversen/IMG_6466.jpg
[URL]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Diversen/IMG_6466.jpg

:)

Cees Donker
August 17th, 2010, 09:52
Thanks Ferry!

Cees

Cees Donker
August 19th, 2010, 07:33
Strange flying object seen near Schiphol!

Cees

Cees Donker
August 19th, 2010, 11:59
Serious now: there's some real progression.

Cees

Lionheart
August 19th, 2010, 12:15
Looking good Cees! love that framework and VC detail.