PDA

View Full Version : Do You Cry At Airshows?

stuartcox
July 16th, 2010, 08:33
Following the new airshow season, I have noticed that I get very emotional while watching air displays.
It can be quite embarrasing at times, but great displays and engine sounds bring tears to my eyes!
The people I go with just take the p... and laugh!
It also happens at a good concert.
I just get overwhelmed!
Please confirm, that it's not only me..., I don't wan't to book a psychiatrist just yet!

MenendezDiego
July 16th, 2010, 08:38
When I saw VF-101's Tomcat show, I cried

I knew it'd be the last time I'd ever see one fly

Snuffy
July 16th, 2010, 09:06
Yep. Especially when I see the going rate for a ride in a B-17/B-24 ... :173go1:

Moparmike
July 16th, 2010, 09:25
So far, no tears here yet...but I do get an extreme case of goosebumps every time I hear a good ole round engine fire up.
A couple years ago, I was standing about 25' away from engine #4 on Sentimental Journey when she did a cold start. Darn near brought tears to my eyes...but the ear-to-ear smile I was wearing was too powerful!
This summer, seeing a whole pack of TA4000s light up and head skyward ranked right up there on my "okay, now I can die happy" list. I think if there would've been just one OX-5 powered 2000 in the bunch I would've probably fell over right on the spot.

Heck, I get chills whenever I hear a good radial powered ag plane cold start. Not hearing those as often anymore either since everyone is gradually switching to t-props. It just ain't the same...

Bjoern
July 16th, 2010, 09:35
No tears, no goosebumps, just the occasional "WOW".
Happened a lot on Italy's C-27 display during ILA. Never knew you can actually loop and roll a friggin' transporter!

Toastmaker
July 16th, 2010, 12:16
Um, no. . . it is just you. . .

Try to get a Wednesday appointment-

:running:

TARPSBird
July 16th, 2010, 12:27
When I saw VF-101's Tomcat show, I cried

I knew it'd be the last time I'd ever see one fly

The Tomcat community thanks you for your support! :salute:

Wittpilot
July 16th, 2010, 12:45
I get pretty "moved" when it comes to the Heritage Flight... Especially the song that they play in the background that was specifically written for that purpose.....

-witt

stuartcox
July 16th, 2010, 13:42
Um, no. . . it is just you. . .

Try to get a Wednesday appointment-

:running:
Cheers mate....! Feeling better already!

HighGround22
July 16th, 2010, 13:50
Do You Cry at Airshows?Well, cry, as in "boo-hoo!" or "bwaaaa!" and the answer's a resounding no, but weep, as in moved to tears, and it's hell yes!

Two things can make me weep at the drop of a hat, and one's an old stalwart aircraft performing at an airshow, and the other's a good marching band. Combine the two and my beard gets all soggy and severely out of shape!

Chacha
July 16th, 2010, 13:50
Wow...
No tears, no goosebumps, chills sometimes...

... and something else!

:ernae:

...drool.. fast heartbeat... and don't talk to me, I am all ears, and eyes...

Drzook
July 16th, 2010, 13:54
I've noticed that the 'Tora Tora Tora' airshow will move me to tears. A few years ago I visited the Pearl Harbor Memorial on the USS Arizona and that was what could only be described as a powerfully moving experience.:salute:

Lenop
July 16th, 2010, 13:55
Tears in my eyes when I saw my first flying Spitfire do a low pass at Duxford this year... .The sound alone..

Crusader
July 16th, 2010, 14:09
Usually I'm in deep thought wondering what it would have been like to have been a pilot back in the good old days . WWI and II . Same reaction when visiting Museums(3 or 4 times a year at The Museum of The Air Force) but I readily admit when I see a " Missing Man Formation "I usually get a little teary eyed . I have had many pilots back in my military days who were priviledged to be in involved in just an honored duty tell me the same thing .

Rich

Roadburner440
July 16th, 2010, 14:46
The F-14 was always an impressive aircraft. The only time I ever saw them was one time I was in Pensacola and 2 birds from VF-101 I think (had the Grim Reaper on the tail) pulled up. Very impressive. I had no clue at the time I would never get the oppertunity to work on them, or that they were being decommissioned. Hopefully one day they pull the ones out of preservation, but I highly doubt that... I mainly get goosebumps when I go to airshows. Especially seeing old historic birds in the air. The Collings Foundation F4U Corsair brought about those feelings when I saw it at the Cecil Field airshow last year. Definately impressive. Can't thank the people that take their time, and spend their $$ doing airshows enough for the oppertunity they provide to the rest of us to see these birds up close and in action.

Wulf190
July 16th, 2010, 15:31
Is it wrong for me to get a big silly grin when ever I see a Mustang or a Spitfire fly by? If it is, I DON'T CARE!:jump:

PRB
July 16th, 2010, 16:22
...A couple years ago, I was standing about 25' away from engine #4 on Sentimental Journey when she did a cold start. Darn near brought tears to my eyes...but the ear-to-ear smile I was wearing was too powerful!...

Yep, last year, when "Liberty Belle" visited St. Louis. Damn when that ship starts up there is nothing like it. For me it's no longer just "round" engines. A few years ago I visited Chino when they test flew a P-40. It's always better when there isn't an airshow going on. Then its quiet, the only sound is the airplane. No distractions from the crowds. Those moments are magical. When that ship took off, I'm certain for a moment, just a couple of miliseconds, it really was 1942...

Bone
July 16th, 2010, 16:45
Negative. No tears over planes. I've never even heard of such a silly thing http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon7.gif.

PRB
July 16th, 2010, 16:49
Negative. No tears over planes. I've never even heard of such a silly thing http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Well, that's good to hear, Bone. We don't want you getting all teary eyed up there in the "front office" when you're supposed to be delivering us safely to granny's!! :d

TomSteber
July 16th, 2010, 19:54
I get pretty "moved" when it comes to the Heritage Flight... Especially the song that they play in the background that was specifically written for that purpose.....

-witt

I was going to post this almost word for word!
Damn you Witt! Thought stealer!

Piglet
July 16th, 2010, 20:03
Tears in my eyes when I see high gloss camo schemes, and fake-bare-metal-in-a-can paint jobs.
Yeah, I know why they do those sins, but I still shake my head and mourn.

euroastar350
July 16th, 2010, 22:18

-witt

Amen to that brother:salute:

jbtate
July 16th, 2010, 23:37
Many thoughts on many occassions ...
But I remember visiting the Cavanaugh Flight Museum a while back ...and a stranger and I converged on this Hurricane --
http://www.pimaair.org/collection-detail.php?cid=136
We looked at each other for a second or two, like, "You know what these purposeful machines and men did?"
It was like standing at the Thermopylae pass.
jbtate

cheezyflier
July 17th, 2010, 02:25
not at planes no. but certain movies, yes.
hmmmm, sounds like another thread, may be worth a try.

Dain Arns
July 17th, 2010, 04:25
Once, at an airshow when I still lived Bozeman, Montana...

The show's theme was a tribute to Korean War Vets, the 50th anniversary of the conflict.
They got Korean Vets to come up on a stage, honored their service and sacrifice, and the then crowd applauded them all.

My Dad was up there. :salute: :USA-flag:

Wittpilot
August 9th, 2010, 19:05
Yep, This still gets me...

Cees Donker
August 9th, 2010, 20:12
Just common with getting older, I suppose...I don't have it at airshows, but with watching a good movie or listening to music. Some books may have that effect too, but seldom.

:salute:

Cees

Quixoticish
August 9th, 2010, 23:55
I cry at airshows over here in the UK when the US send an act over with a commentator.

My brain just can't cope with the cheesyness of it all and I do shed a tear or two, hoping, praying, for the love of the gods that the commentator will be quiet.

:salute:

wombat666
August 10th, 2010, 01:48
I never cry about anything.
Ever.
:173go1:

WarHorse47
August 10th, 2010, 04:39
Ah, no. I don't cry at airshows. But I do behave badly.

My wife is an exercise nut, so she constantly walks faster than me. The only exception is when we visit the Reno Air Races. I have to see everything, so she has a hard time keeping up with me.

One reason I'm likely not to cry is that I'm too busy with the camera. Lately its been a real challenge trying to zoom in on aerial shots with my older digital camera. Can't have any misty eyes.

:ernae:

--WH

limjack
August 10th, 2010, 06:45
I cry when I don't get to go to airshows. I do feel the tingles when those engines come to life and shake my body.

Jim

Killer Svend
August 10th, 2010, 06:52
Hav'nt tryed yet, but let's see in Duxford at 4-5 september , should be a chance.
Killer Svend:salute:

crashaz
August 10th, 2010, 09:54
Once to twice before watching some salute to airmen... probably more now that my Dad is not here to watch with me.

Will find out in Oct. for Airsho in Midland.