PDA

View Full Version : How can ANYBODY be this stupid???

TARPSBird
November 17th, 2008, 15:21
Oregon woman loses $400,000 to Nigerian e-mail scam...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,453125,00.html
I guess if there weren't stupid people falling for these things, the Nigerians would've stopped sending e-mails by now! :icon_lol:

jmig
November 17th, 2008, 17:26
I would have laughed at her had not my mother lost over $20,000 through sweepstakes scams. Today, if I ever came face to face with one of those bastards, he would die.

I would put them, child molesters and drug pushers in the same lower level of hell.

Drake
November 17th, 2008, 17:46
She could have just given me the 400 grand and I could have smacked her in the back of the head. It's nice that people like this can throw away that much money when some of us don't even have a job anymore.

The sheriff's dept in the next county over from here fell for one of those last year. They lost a few hundred thousand dollars as well.

TARPSBird
November 17th, 2008, 17:53
John, no offense meant to your Mom, I may have been a little too extreme with my comment. Well-intentioned people are often victimized by scams. I just can't believe somebody could squander $400,000 in response to an unsolicited e-mail originating in Africa. :isadizzy: I don't have any relatives, close or distant, that I'd blow that much money on.

lifejogger
November 17th, 2008, 17:57
That is very sad, usually it is the elderly that get scammed lie that.

jmig
November 17th, 2008, 18:57
John, no offense meant to your Mom, I may have been a little too extreme with my comment. Well-intentioned people are often victimized by scams. I just can't believe somebody could squander $400,000 in response to an unsolicited e-mail originating in Africa. :isadizzy: I don't have any relatives, close or distant, that I'd blow that much money on.

My mom was stupid, elderly and, these guys were her friends. They wrote her letters and called her to encourage her to continue. Just like this woman to told her she was sure to win soon and they were pulling for her. She never listened to us, her children, thinking we were jealous. Instead she believed these scoundrels.

We had to take over her finances, change her phone number and remove the mailbox from the house. She was so mad at US for doing so. It took away her independence and pride. I still have the letter she wrote me telling me how awful I was to her, after all she had done to me. Is there any wonder why I hate these bastards?

The people are being stupid. These bastards are using the elderly person's gullibility to scam them. The sad thing is my mother really believed she would win money to give to us.

Drake
November 17th, 2008, 21:10
Anyone who tries to take advantage of the elderly should have indescribable evils done to them.

Francois
November 17th, 2008, 23:06
I would have laughed at her had not my mother lost over $20,000 through sweepstakes scams. Today, if I ever came face to face with one of those bastards, he would die.

I would put them, child molesters and drug pushers in the same lower level of hell.

+1. Way too many of them nowadays and they all seem to get away with it too! What the heck happened to simple and decent people !?

cheezyflier
November 18th, 2008, 06:15
there has always been scam artists, grifters and carpet baggers of one sort or another. the game changes a little to reflect the times but the basic story remains the same.

Tom Clayton
November 18th, 2008, 08:41
Anyone who tries to take advantage of the elderly should have indescribable evils done to them.
I can describe it! Hang 'em by their privates using piano wire!!!

GT182
November 18th, 2008, 11:38
How can ANYBODY be this stupid???

Quite easy actually.... the promise of winning money. No different than gambling or a lottery. It's just a different kind of lottery or form of gambling.

These people are gambling on you taking their bait.... money. Even the smartest and most cautious will fall for it just as easy as anyone else.

Drake
November 18th, 2008, 12:25
I can describe it! Hang 'em by their privates using piano wire!!!

No, that's to easy for them.

Gdavis101
November 18th, 2008, 14:41
Its the fantasy of getting something for nothing! It is sad that people fall for this crap, I mean really.. You aren't going to get something for nothing and if it sounds to good to be true it usually is. Had a "friend" ask me once if I wanted free money, knowing better I told him there is no such thing. Long story short, his sister was working for a company that did cash rebates and she was ripping off this company by filing fake rebates. I think her and her boss were eventually caught but geesh, my integrity means more to me than a few hundred bucks!