PDA

View Full Version : Y...Oh...Y

tigermoth
July 15th, 2010, 13:55
Exasperation is not the word for it!
Yesterday it worked - but today, no way. When I press the Y key to enter slew mode the aircraft immediately rushes off across the landscape at (very) high speed. My last flight to test this new and unwelcome phenomenon ended half way across the North Sea. This is with the engine off, the controls centred and my feet clear of the rudder pedals. I suspect, although I have not put it to the test, that it would keep on going right around the world!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Has anybody else had this problem? <o:p></o:p>

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
One wing good - two wings better.<o:p></o:p>

spotlope
July 15th, 2010, 14:26
Exasperation is not the word for it!
Yesterday it worked - but today, no way. When I press the Y key to enter slew mode the aircraft immediately rushes off across the landscape at (very) high speed. My last flight to test this new and unwelcome phenomenon ended half way across the North Sea. This is with the engine off, the controls centred and my feet clear of the rudder pedals. I suspect, although I have not put it to the test, that it would keep on going right around the world!<o:p></o:p>
Has anybody else had this problem? <o:p></o:p>

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
One wing good - two wings better.<o:p></o:p>

The only time I've seen that behavior is when I've got a controller set to control the slew motion and it's not centered when I hit the Y key. You might try disabling all controller axes for slew mode and see - I suspect this will fix the problem. Then you can add back in the ones you want to use.

michael davies
July 15th, 2010, 14:42
Yup, sounds like your joystick might need recalibrating, mine is pretty soft in the center so tends to creep off unless I keep a firm hold. Failing that, one of the direction keys on the key board might be jammed or the Num lock keys ?.

Best

Michael

Dain Arns
July 15th, 2010, 15:14
Believe "CTRL+K" still turns off/on the joystick in FSX.
With another joystick I used, I had to turn it off first before I went into Slew mode.

bobmay
July 15th, 2010, 15:31
The only times I've seen this is when the slew is released and it's caused by the wheels not being firmly on the ground. Pressing F1 before releasing the slew prevents it.

Bob.

PRB
July 15th, 2010, 16:48
One other thing that causes this, and it has always been the culprit in my case:

Find ALL keys and joystick assignments that are set to slew that are unexpected. Meaning, you want only the joystick to slew the plane right? Push forward and you slew forward, "bank left" to slew left, and twisty to yaw. But, there may be other keys and joystick actions that are assigned to some damn slew axis that you're not aware of. FS seems to assign keys to things randomly. It was worse in FS9. I would remove the rudder from slew assignment, save, go back, remove it once more, save, go back, remove it again, do that five more times, and finaly it would "take".

HighGround22
July 15th, 2010, 17:23
. . . When I press the Y key to enter slew mode the aircraft immediately rushes off across the landscape at (very) high speed. . . .<o:p></o:p>I've had this problem for a long time now, so I'm happy to see these resolutions coming to the fore. Thanks gentlemen!

Marvin Carter
July 15th, 2010, 20:42
Does it to me when I have my Rudder pedals connected, when I take them off it stops.?????

peter12213
July 16th, 2010, 04:52
Could be any of the above, it happens one in a blue moon to me, but try what has been sujested marvin it probably is your joystick calibration.:wavey:

srgalahad
July 16th, 2010, 05:31
Often, due to the nature of the beast, you may think the joystick and pedals are centered and there is no input, but with time "center" becomes a bit ambiguous. I find that no matter how careful I am, there is frequently a bit of 'slop' in the controls which is enough to be sensed as an off-center which is sensed as input and awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay we go. A speck of dust, a bit of wear, or an un-noticed nudge is all it takes.

For that reason I disable all the joystick slew commands and just live with the keyboard which can be more precise anyway. Sometimes convenience just isn't worth it.

Marvin Carter
July 16th, 2010, 07:51
I think mine is my Null zone and sensitivity setting. I have them all moved in for flying helicopters!!!

tigermoth
July 19th, 2010, 12:42
Relief is the word! I disabled all slew assignments except those on my joystick and voila..it works - phew! Thanks, guys, for your help.
BUT.....
FS then decided, without any reference to me, to make my toe brakes operate the ailerons. Result - a crash! Gentlemen, I BENT A SPITFIRE! This is more than a disaster, this is sacriledge!!!
Got it sorted though and everything is now working as it should. Until, that is, FS decides otherwise...

One wing good - two wings better.