PDA

View Full Version : Fs9 won't run anymore

PhantomP
July 9th, 2010, 09:28
Hi FS9 ran fine until about an hour ago,now when I click on the EXE it shows the splash screen for 3 seconds ,and quits.I tried resetting the defaults,and using the safe mode,any suggestions thanks.:banghead:

ian elliot
July 9th, 2010, 09:38
Have you try'd using the exe in your FS2004 folder rather than the one on your desk top,
just a thought, cheers ian

OBIO
July 9th, 2010, 10:01
The first thing I do when I have a program that suddenly goes belly up is to reboot my system. This allows the memory to clear out and has been the solution in most cases of SGBU (suddenly goes belly up).

As Ian suggested, go to your FS9 program folder and try starting the program by double clicking the FS9.exe file. Sometimes a desk top short cut icon thingie can go wonkie for unknown reasons...also knows as WFUR.

OBIO

hurricane3
July 9th, 2010, 10:24
My problem was not quite the same as I had an error message on startup.I first followed OBIO's advice and deleted the config file in application data ,that didn't seem to work so I deleted the config file in the main FS( root folder and the message came back once then the program started and has been running normally since.( keep your fingers crossed) Funny thing is when I ran the program then went back to the FS9 root folder where the config file was it hadn't generated a new one so since I had just deleted it, I restored it and all is running ok so far.
Just thought I'd through in my two cents worth

PhantomP
July 9th, 2010, 11:09
I have tried all of the above and,still no dice, thanks.Help! hurricane3 wheres the Config file in the main fs9 root folder? I could'nt find it.

TARPSBird
July 9th, 2010, 12:48
You won't find the fs9.cfg file in the FS9 root folder, it's in your main drive's Application Data folder. If your main drive is C: and you're running XP the path should be:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9\fs9.cfg

aeromed202
July 9th, 2010, 13:16
Anyone here can also offer a full fs9.cfg you can copy and paste over in notepad as long as you have a default aircraft to use, but I gather deleting the cfg you have in the above location failed to generate a new one.

hurricane3
July 9th, 2010, 16:03
Thats strange,when I opened up the FS9 root folder the was a folder marked config, honest there was,it was the one I put back, I'am gonna look again and see if it's there.

hurricane3
July 9th, 2010, 16:12
Just checked and yep right between the Charts and Effects files top row is a folder marked Config ,I opened it and it's mostly HTML files,beats me what it's for,maybe some addon I installed years ago? I wouldn't lie about a thing like this ,honest

Sunny9850
July 9th, 2010, 16:48
If all of the above did not fix anything I would suggest the Restore function available in Windows and pick a date a few days ago when things were still working.

If that also fails to produce a running simulator it is probably time to re-install.

But before you do that you can save some time by

1. renaming the original FS installation folder.... if it was C:\FS2004 for example rename it to C:\FS2004_BAD
2. Then install from your original disks and install to C:\FS2004
3. Once the install is complete run the sim at least once using the new installation.
4. Shut down the sim and rename the new folder to C:\FS2004_new
5. Rename the original folder back to C:\FS2004 and then try again....if it still fails to start something in that original folder got seriously disturbed.

Now you have 2 options .... rename the folders yet again and then rebuild the sim file by file....
OR you can copy entire folders from the bad installation to the working one....
For example take your entire Aircraft folder and copy it form one to the other.

After each folder copy restart the sim and see if it still works....and shut down again.

Good Luck
Stefan

OleBoy
July 9th, 2010, 16:49
Not that this helps solve anything, but I started saving the default terrain.cfg, FS9.cfg and scenery.cfg to a back up for any troubles down the road. One or the other has saved my butt a time or two.

TARPSBird
July 9th, 2010, 18:56
Just checked and yep right between the Charts and Effects files top row is a folder marked Config, I opened it and it's mostly HTML files,beats me what it's for,maybe some addon I installed years ago? I wouldn't lie about a thing like this, honest
That Config folder (don't ask me what it does) is part of FS9, it's supposed to be there but it's not where the fs9.cfg file lives. There's probably some good technical reason why the .cfg file is in the Application Data folder, maybe to make the sim run more efficiently, I don't know. In CFS2 the .cfg is in the CFS2 root folder where you'd expect it to be.

Mick
July 11th, 2010, 18:57
I think it's located there so that on computers that are used by more than one person, and they all have their own log-ins (user "accounts"), each person can have their own FS9.cfg file with their own preferred settings. Which cfg file is used depends on which user is signed in on the computer.

hurricane3
July 12th, 2010, 05:42
But why when I deleted the config file in application data the error message was still there ,but when I deleted the file in the FS9 root file it came back once then went away.I also put the file back (in the root file) because when I checked it had not
regenerated it'self, but then every thing was ok. Gee I love computers.

PhantomP
July 12th, 2010, 08:28
Still a no go,I think I will have reload FS9,what a pain in the but.

mgr
July 12th, 2010, 09:37
Could it be that you start FS9 with the previous flight option?

In this case it can be a corrupt flight-file, solution is then to delete the previous flight-file and restart FS9, will give a warning then but will load with default flight.

"My Documents" -> "Flight Simulator Files" -> delete/rename "Previous flight.FLT"

Marcel

hurricane3
July 12th, 2010, 12:59
I fell your pain ,my friend have been there too many times,and I keep putting off getting an external hard drive, and rely on all my backup disks,(only about a hundred counting my other flight sims.) I'll be dead an gone before I would have everything back.
Sorry I couldn't help you ,I tried.

hurricane3
July 12th, 2010, 13:06
I wrote the last post before reading MGR's post and what he says could explane why after I deleted the config file in the applications data ,the message came back then FS9 started normally

PhantomP
July 12th, 2010, 22:27
Thank you all. I just copied all my old fs9 install,and tomorow I will reinstall it,wish me luck.:salute:

hurricane3
July 13th, 2010, 04:37
Best of luck let us know how things turn out.Do you have the files on another hard drive?This backup thing still has me confused.

PhantomP
July 13th, 2010, 06:39
Yes, I copied everything to my storage drive.

hurricane3
July 13th, 2010, 09:55
I won't bother you or ask any more questions till your up and running again.You have enough to worry about now.Good luck!

PhantomP
July 13th, 2010, 11:46
Thanks huricane3, you can ask all the questions you want,and I will try to answer them the best I can.:icon_lol:

hurricane3
July 13th, 2010, 12:49
When your back up an running again I have some questions about how to backup stuff,until then just keep working on getting everything back.

dogknot
July 13th, 2010, 14:33
When your back up an running again I have some questions about how to backup stuff,until then just keep working on getting everything back.

This "How to backup FS9 perfectly" by FengZ saved my bacon a while back. I copy and pasted the tutorial into a txt file so I have it as needed.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=16466&highlight=feng

hurricane3
July 13th, 2010, 16:32
Yes I managed to put the post on how to backup FS9 to disk,(finding out if you do" send target as" then copy to disk it erases everything else on the disk,luckliy I only had 4 planes a sound file and a panel file which I was able to redownload) ,anyway back to my story ,yes to me this looks crazy hard ,mostly step 7 concerning regedit ,scares the p..... out of me.I don't understand it and would be afraid to try it.
I think when the day comes I better just start over ,maybe not put in the something like the 300 planes I now have,keep it simple,like me.

PhantomP
July 15th, 2010, 09:29
Ok, back up, and running again ran into the same problem, when I first replaced the files I had backed up,but replaced each folder one at a time, and found out it was something in my modules folder,luckily I had another back up of that folder,thanks again for all the info.:salute:

hurricane3
July 15th, 2010, 11:58
Great glad your up and running again,I wasn't much help but at least your back flying again.:jump:

PhantomP
July 15th, 2010, 14:07
thanks,and glad to be flying again.:jump:

Motormouse
July 16th, 2010, 02:11
Ok, back up, and running again ran into the same problem, when I first replaced the files I had backed up,but replaced each folder one at a time, and found out it was something in my modules folder,luckily I had another back up of that folder,thanks again for all the info.:salute:

Sounds like the Cloud9 'bglman.dll' thingy; some anti-virus detect it as a virus which then
shuts it down,crashing your fs9 at same time.

Try and get the latest module from their site,should cure it.

ttfn

Pete

PhantomP
July 16th, 2010, 09:09
Thanks, Pete for the info.