PDA

View Full Version : ai bomber formations

KellyB
July 8th, 2010, 13:38
Before i get too deep into mission building, i may need to learn how to fly them!

In bomber missions where there are more than one bomber formation heading for the same target, I don't see that the formations other than my own actually drop bombs on the target.

Do the ai bombers both in my formation and in the other ai formations see the target as defined and bomb it when i do, or do i need to identify it with the tab key before telling them to bomb?

Even if i can get my wingmen to bomb correctly, how do i get the other formations to bomb?

Nonato
July 8th, 2010, 13:51
Before i get too deep into mission building, i may need to learn how to fly them!

In bomber missions where there are more than one bomber formation heading for the same target, I don't see that the formations other than my own actually drop bombs on the target. They generally (but not always) do it simultaneously.

Do the ai bombers both in my formation and in the other ai formations see the target as defined and bomb it when i do, or do i need to identify it with the tab key before telling them to bomb?

Even if i can get my wingmen to bomb correctly, how do i get the other formations to bomb?

The ai_bomber formations can be:
a) your own, commanded by you to bomb the target chosen by your TAC. They generally do so at the same time of your bombing (but not always).
b) additional formations included in the mission when you use the mission builder. These will bomb according to the established target in the mission building. Sometimes they are not so much accurate and might drop their load way off the target. I discovered that you can increase the possibility of them bombing the target if you set their waypoint as "attack with bombs" (and not "attack with all weapons").

That's about it...good luck

N.

KellyB
July 8th, 2010, 14:07
Probably I just expect too much of the ai's accuracy.
I'll watch from outside to see where they actually bomb.
I'll keep playing with it till it makes some more sense to me.

The pointers really help
Thanks for the answer.

Vogelscheuche
July 8th, 2010, 15:41
For most level bombers; your wingmen (in your flight only, with you as the flight leader) will drop their bombs when you do. Make sure your formation is intact and tight before dropping your bombs.

If you don't want them to drop when you do, you'll need to select a target for them and press "A" before you drop your own bombs.

Wyld45
July 8th, 2010, 22:48
A campaign plus for this if your trying to rack up those points and grab alot of targets before
heading back to base, let 1 set or 2 of your wingmen hit your main target for you,(Bigger the
bomb-load the better) then you and your "loaded" wingmen are free for EXTRA targets of
opportunity!

:salute:

remcoc
July 9th, 2010, 00:04
And there must be something for the AI-bombers to bomb!

When other aircraft have bombed the target allready, the next AI-formations do not bomb!

What I do is place more then one target (individual cars, buildings, crates etc) and give the different ai formations different targets.

Together with the other tips you should get it to work.

I'll give you another puzzle:
Try to get two ETO pathfinder-aircraft to mark your target first with flares/target-indicators.
They have to do this 2 minutes before your own formation arrives at the target.
After that bomb it yourself and afterwards let it bomb by other formations.
(I never got it quite right myself).

That would me you a true master in MB for who I will salute! :salute:

RemcoC

KellyB
July 9th, 2010, 05:28
Thanks to all of you for the tips.

I shall once again submerge into the mission builder.

I'll report on surfacing.

Now, if only i had a better bombsight (lol). I'm sure that's the problem (lol again)

Nonato
July 9th, 2010, 06:55
And there must be something for the AI-bombers to bomb!

When other aircraft have bombed the target allready, the next AI-formations do not bomb!

What I do is place more then one target (individual cars, buildings, crates etc) and give the different ai formations different targets.

Together with the other tips you should get it to work.

I'll give you another puzzle:
Try to get two ETO pathfinder-aircraft to mark your target first with flares/target-indicators.
They have to do this 2 minutes before your own formation arrives at the target.
After that bomb it yourself and afterwards let it bomb by other formations.
(I never got it quite right myself).

That would me you a true master in MB for who I will salute! :salute:

RemcoC

You should try my mission, Dresden...:wavey:

KellyB
July 9th, 2010, 07:35
REMCOC

I also have a mission called
Lancaster Night Raid on Rouen Railyard O-1
which has pathfinder lancs laying down a lighted path.

Not sure exactly where it came from; I suspect the O-1 refers to O-1Driver???

uses avh lancs.

I think it doesn't actually use a flight to do the job; the flare path is a facility.

PM me and i can send it to you fyi

Nonato
July 9th, 2010, 11:38
I think it doesn't actually use a flight to do the job; the flare path is a facility.

PM me and i can send it to you fyi

Mine are Halifaxes pathfinders that drop the colored markers:jump: