PDA

View Full Version : Eye Point

Wulf190
November 16th, 2008, 20:55
After posting my eye-point adjustment for Bruno's Fantastic Spitfires I have gotten a request for a "how to" posting on how to the the eye-point around.

Like anyone who has worked with CFS2 for a while, the fantastic thing about this sim is how modifiable it is, and that includes your 'view' in the VC.

The entry that controls this is in the aircraft.cfg in any flyable aircraft folder, and the entry is under [views] and eyepoint. Just do a find search in note pad and your should find it easy. How there are three set of 'coordinates' each of which controls an axis of the 'view'.

The first set control how far your view is in the VC. Some times I find, as in the case of Thicko's Lavochkins that the view is set so far back that it's going through the armored glass. For example, the entry in Thicko's La-5F reads -4.99. Much to far, so to bring it forward, you have to put in an entry closer to 0. I use -4.25, and that put the view point right where I'd expect the pilot's head to be.

The Second set of corrdinated controls the left and right setting of view. Agian useing Thicko's La-5F as an example, the cannon tracers are not lining up well with the sight. The coordinate reads .064. Increasing the number moves the view to the right, and decreasing it moves it to the left. I found that an entry of .050 works the best.

The third coordinate set is for elevation. in the La-5F the stock setting is 1.59, which is far to low in the cockpit, can't even see the tracers in the gun sight. Increasing the number raises the height of the view point. I set 1.73.

With these coordinates, the gun sight in the VC is now usable, and I didn't have to mess around with the gun harmonization. With some planes, like Bruno's Spitfire though that can't be helped. Luckily there is a handy tool called aim-it which allows you to set the elevation of the guns, and also the distance point at which they cross.

I hope this helps, and gives you guys another tool in which to improve your experience with these wonderful aircraft, and make them alittle more tailored to your tastes.

PS. As a good idea, make a copy of your aircraft's .cfg file before you start tinkering though.

Jagdflieger
November 16th, 2008, 21:17
Thanks Wulf. With this little tutorial, everyone can set their VC view up exactly as they like it and even zero their weapons to their liking.

Hern07
November 16th, 2008, 22:38
No wonder M$ hasn't come out with another combat sim lately, they have a winner with CFS2 and it would be hard to better it. Yeh, I know we all have our own little gripes and it's not perfect...yet. Thanks Wulf. :applause: