PDA

View Full Version : Here it is.....

Blackbird686
July 5th, 2010, 07:18
Over at Flightsim:

FS2002/FS2004 North American F-86D Sabre Dog
[ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=147979) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=147979) ]
Name: f86d_940.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=147979) Size: 2,840,675 Date: 07-05-2010
http://www.flightsim.com/p/f86d_940.gif FS2002/FS2004 North American F-86D Sabre Dog. The North American Aviation F-86D Sabre (sometimes called the "Sabre Dog" or "Dog Sabre") was a transonic jet all-weather interceptor. Based on North American's F-86 Sabre day fighter, the F-86D had only 25 percent commonality with other Sabre variants, with a larger fuselage, larger afterburning engine, and a distinctive nose radome. Two kinds of texture (USAF / JASDF) are included. By Kazunori Ito.

Mick
July 5th, 2010, 08:45
Well, maybe I shouldn't say this without having flown the plane, but if his Dog Sabre is like most of Ito-san's previous planes, the flight model may be less authentic than his outstanding 3D model.

Should that prove to be the case, there is an excellent FS9 F-86D flight model available in David Wooster's F-86D, which can be found at FlightSim and other places. David's 3D model is excellent too, and has some remarkable features, but alas, it's not very paintable, since it was built before David had learned much about texturing, and before he hooked up with moi to get his planes painted.

Anyway, should anyone not like Ito-san's flight model, David's would be a good alternative.

harrybasset
July 5th, 2010, 09:44
David's Dog has automatic slats and a working afterburner. Mr Ito's has slats working in conjunction with the flaps, no afterburner but extendable rocket tray.

AndyG43
July 5th, 2010, 10:09
Well, maybe I shouldn't say this without having flown the plane, but if his Dog Sabre is like most of Ito-san's previous planes, the flight model may be less authentic than his outstanding 3D model.

Should that prove to be the case, there is an excellent FS9 F-86D flight model available in David Wooster's F-86D, which can be found at FlightSim and other places. David's 3D model is excellent too, and has some remarkable features, but alas, it's not very paintable, since it was built before David had learned much about texturing, and before he hooked up with moi to get his planes painted.

Anyway, should anyone not like Ito-san's flight model, David's would be a good alternative.

And there is another alternative, probably even better - Bob Chicilo did some revised FDE's for David Wooster's (excellent, as Mick has pointed out) F-86D.

OBIO
July 5th, 2010, 12:14
This evening I will be digging into this plane and doing some tweaking. I will swap in Bob Chicilo's FDE from his update for Mick's Sabre Dog and will be adding effects (engine flame, after burner, wing contrails, the IRIS heat effect, and engine smoke).

Mr. Ito has hit a home run with the modeling on this Sabre Dog. Going to be a real joy to have this vintage jet in my hangar.

OBIO

UKVoodoo
July 5th, 2010, 13:10
Got a few whiff pics for sabres wonder if a few would fit nicely on the dog :)

OBIO
July 5th, 2010, 13:15
I have the effects in place....though I do need to dig around for a shorter AB...the one I am using is WAY TOO LONG...I think it's the one from the Alpha Viggen or Mig-25. I have a ton of AB effects, just need to do some trial and error until I find one that fits better. I modified the engine flame effect to fit the exhaust tube of the Sabre Dog. Wing contrails kick in at 2G and over (using one of the gauges from the Reno FX package for that, the rest are Alphasim gauges from various freeware releases, a couple I have modified a bit).

The only thing that this bird is missing is reflective texturing. Would be nice to do the Sabre Dog up in some nice bare metal schemes and some super shiny restoration paints.

OBIO

delta_lima
July 5th, 2010, 15:17
I have the effects in place....though I do need to dig around for a shorter AB...the one I am using is WAY TOO LONG...I think it's the one from the Alpha Viggen or Mig-25. I have a ton of AB effects, just need to do some trial and error until I find one that fits better. I modified the engine flame effect to fit the exhaust tube of the Sabre Dog. Wing contrails kick in at 2G and over (using one of the gauges from the Reno FX package for that, the rest are Alphasim gauges from various freeware releases, a couple I have modified a bit).

The only thing that this bird is missing is reflective texturing. Would be nice to do the Sabre Dog up in some nice bare metal schemes and some super shiny restoration paints.

OBIO

I completely agree on the reflective texturing. Kazu and I have talked about the mdl shine issue, and he's indicated he's fine with mods to the model that enhance accuracy. His primary concern, as most know, is using this with CFS2 in combat.

There is a dizzying array of paint schemes available, for a host of different countries - but would someone entertain either of these experimetal, Edwards-based bare-metal schemes? NACA bird FU-787 ...

http://www.thenorthspin.com/photos_official_nasaames/138.jpg

The striping on the tail was white/red, according to my reference books.

or .... NACA FU-905

http://www.cbrnp.com/cdroms/f86d-cd/naca.jpg

link to a good "NACA" tail flash ...

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/graphics/Logos/Large/NACA_logo.gif

Many thanks - the "Dog" has been a dream come true. On my 40th birthday, no less ... :)

Regards,

dl

Flyboy208
July 6th, 2010, 09:18
Really thrilled to have this jet for FS now ...

Mike :salute:

TARPSBird
July 6th, 2010, 09:24
I posted a heads-up on the Philippine Flight Simmers' Group site, hopefully somebody will do a PAF paint job.

IVANOW
July 6th, 2010, 09:38
Beautiful Work.
Thank you Mr. Ito .

I have been looking for the 2 repaints Of his F-94C . Not found .
Anybody know ?

Flyboy208
July 6th, 2010, 16:29
Been thinking how cool it would be for Jan Visser or Eric Joiner, or even Damian Radice to work their repainting magic for some shiny, photo-real repaints for this bird!

Flyboy208
July 6th, 2010, 16:42
Here's some historical info for those interested ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-86D

Mike :wiggle:

Drzook
July 6th, 2010, 19:36
I am just loving this plane. I had a model with similar black and yellow markings when I was a kid. My first flight with this bird and I saw a suspicious contact flying west. I vectored in and after finding out the weapons were offline (more on that later) I went in and visually id'd my quarry. Due to technical issues it took me nearly 250 miles to id it--a Landmark Airlines 737. I turned for home thankful it wasn't Ivan flying Bears near Michigan. :salute:

I had swapped out the cfg and air files with Wooster's F86D cfg and air files--turns out there is an alternate air file that doesn't have the automatic slats. Nevertheless the Dog needs some tweaking--got an overspeed warning at 310 kias (groundspeed only 450 kts) and the airbrakes didn't do anything; handling doesn't seem as crisp as I would like but that might be normal--not like I have had seat time in one or anything... I had tried to extend the rocket tray but nothing happened. After I got back I found out that problem and fixed the rocket tray at least. IIRC someone had come out with a very cool rocket effect and I have it for Ito's F-94C--maybe someone with more talent than I could come up with an adaptation?:jump:
Anyways, Thank you very much Ito san!!

OBIO
July 7th, 2010, 18:11
delta-lima

If you can get a written go ahead from Mr. Ito on hosting a tweaked MDL with reflective texturing, I have the MDL tweaking done already. You get his blessing to release a reflective MDL and I will send it to you to upload. I don't care about credit for tweaking the MDL, only concerned with Mr. Ito's copywrite and usage being honored to the fullest extent possible.

And I'm working on a paint template to sling some bare metal, reflective skins.

OBIO

Flyboy208
July 7th, 2010, 21:04
delta-lima

If you can get a written go ahead from Mr. Ito on hosting a tweaked MDL with reflective texturing, I have the MDL tweaking done already. You get his blessing to release a reflective MDL and I will send it to you to upload. I don't care about credit for tweaking the MDL, only concerned with Mr. Ito's copywrite and usage being honored to the fullest extent possible.

OBIO

Great news Tim!

delta_lima
July 7th, 2010, 22:23
delta-lima

OBIO

Will confirm. Looking forward to it!

dl

mvg3d
July 9th, 2010, 00:18
Will confirm. Looking forward to it!

dl

Please ask him if it is possible to have a F-86K, the conversion is easy!!!!!
:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Cees Donker
July 10th, 2010, 05:06
Please ask him if it is possible to have a F-86K, the conversion is easy!!!!!
:applause::applause::applause::applause:
The K was used by the Dutch too!

:wiggle:

Cees

Underdog
July 10th, 2010, 05:52
Thank you Itosan :salute:. This is my favorite variant of the Sabre family. Downloading NOW.

wbuchart
July 10th, 2010, 06:07

OBIO

search for the Gloster E28/39 Pioneer for FS2004/FS2002 (http://www.fsfield.com/viewfile/1144.html) Model and FDE by Felipe Belalcazar. Panel by Warren Wright. Textures by Tony Marinac.

It has my facorite effect.....

delta_lima
July 14th, 2010, 10:25
Just to let you folks know - my comms with Kazu are down - no response. Will advise once I get more info. Obio, did you get my pm?

thanks,

dl

OBIO
July 14th, 2010, 18:15
Yep, got your PM. Working on the paint template so I can put together a real reflective skin for the bird. Wife has had me busy going through the massive amounts of worthless/useless/unneeded stuff that has accumulated in our house...going to have a garage sale Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Clean out some stuff and put some money into our pockets toward the purchase of a better clunker...our current car is now much closer to being a junker, so it's time to find our selves a nicer piece of crap to drive around in. Deb has her eyes on a 2001 Pontiac Aztec Mini-Van/SUV thing. I have my eyes on a 1991 GMC Sierra standard cab 4X4....90K miles, near mint condition, and for the amazingly nice price of $2850. And it has a color matched truck cab, tow package, new all-terrain tires and a nice throaty exhaust system.

OBIO

delta_lima
July 17th, 2010, 07:08
Great - will wait.

many thanks,

dl

DaveQ
July 18th, 2010, 03:13
Beautiful Work.
Thank you Mr. Ito .

I have been looking for the 2 repaints Of his F-94C . Not found .
Anybody know ?

I've come a bit late into this thread I know but I've also started on a paint kit. There are so many possible paints that better artists than I could do and this great external model deserves them. Like DL though I reckon it needs reflective shine as well as specular. OBIO very kindly did this for me for the F-94C; I asked Ito-san for permission to publish but had no reply. I did 3 repaints for myself but I didn't think they would be worth sharing without the shine to texture the bare metal.

OBIO - do you have the AS F-89? That has a short early afterburner.

DaveQ

12984 12985

delta_lima
July 18th, 2010, 10:17
Hello DQ,

Nice to know the repaint potential is being explored - very exciting.

Will advise on status.

dl

hschuit
July 19th, 2010, 10:27
Edwards AFB - who let the dogs out ? :wavey: