PDA

View Full Version : Fishy problem

Lawman
July 4th, 2010, 07:15
I'm having problems with large black squares around some of the sealife. I know I can either disable the corresponding "animals.bgl"-file or turn of the ground scenery shadow, but I'd rather not.

While trying to solve the problem I noticed that there are no dds-textures in the following folders:

<FSX>FSX\Simobjects\Animals\HumpbackWhale\texture\

and

<FSX>FSX\Simobjects\Animals\OrcaWhale\texture\

Nor does the "sim.cfg"-file in those folders refer to any texture (the "texture ="-field is empty).

Do any of you guys have textures in those folders and if so, what are the filenames? Or does your "sim.cfg"-file point to some texture?

Any help would be appreciated:icon29:.

Dangerous Beans
July 4th, 2010, 07:52
There are no textures in the texture folders for those two in mine either but there are texture.cfg files in them.
If your texture.cfg's are missing just copy one from one of the other animals as there identical.

spotlope
July 4th, 2010, 07:55
I'm having problems with large black squares around some of the sealife. I know I can either disable the corresponding "animals.bgl"-file or turn of the ground scenery shadow, but I'd rather not.

While trying to solve the problem I noticed that there are no dds-textures in the following folders:

<fsx>FSX\Simobjects\Animals\HumpbackWhale\texture\

and

<fsx>FSX\Simobjects\Animals\OrcaWhale\texture\

Nor does the "sim.cfg"-file in those folders refer to any texture (the "texture ="-field is empty).

Do any of you guys have textures in those folders and if so, what are the filenames? Or does your "sim.cfg"-file point to some texture?

Any help would be appreciated:icon29:.

As of SP2/Acceleration, MS broke some of the library objects - especially some of the wildlife. That black box you're seeing is the shadow of the model, even though shadows are supposed to be disabled. The only way I know of to work around the existing problem objects is to turn off scenery ground shadows. As an alternative, you could use ModelConverterX to find the original MDL files in their respective BGLs and turn off the shadowing. I think the second method would be fine as long as you didn't distribute the models, but according to the FSX EULA, reverse-engineering the included files is prohibited, so I definitely wouldn't distribute them if I were you.

Maybe some enterprising 'simmer will come along after me and propose another solution.

</fsx></fsx>

Lawman
July 4th, 2010, 08:40
Gents, thank you very much for your responses:salute:. The "texture.cfg"-files are there, BTW. Guess I'll have to live with disabling ground shadows:frown:.

JoeW
July 4th, 2010, 08:48
You can place them slightly below the surface. Like -04 meters. Same with the birds....

kdl
July 4th, 2010, 08:52
The textures you are looking for are in:
FSX\Global\Scenery\Texture

Humpbackwhale uses:
-GENFresnel.dds
-whaleSheet.dds
-whaleSheet_lm.dds

Ocra Whale uses:
-Ani_WhaleOrca.dds
-Ani_WhaleOrca_lm.dds

Greetings