PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if there's much point posting this little scenery...

IanP
July 2nd, 2010, 10:47
...but it's there if anyone wants it and is still talking to me.

RAF Friston was an oddity in every sense. A pre-war private landing ground situated literally right on the South coast of the UK, it was requisitioned for RAF use in 1940 and immediately put to good use by a whole host of pilots with aircraft in various states of "not quite working as intended". Friston remained an emergency landing ground, intended or otherwise, throughout the war.

It was, however, actually an operational fighter station operating Spitfires, Hurricanes and Mustangs, despite having next to no facilities at all and being about as flat as a side-on shot of Pamela Anderson. The latter is the big problem in FSX, because as you may have seen elsewhere, SDK airfields really don't like even a gentle slope. Therefore, I've been batting this one around with various angled polys in SBuilderX for months before deciding that it's as good as it's going to get and sticking it in a zip file. It no longer has a big step in the middle, but the default FSX mesh really doesn't do the area justice, so I've put it up as a v0.1, pending me getting opportunity to try and actually recreate some chalk cliffs and make the edges less edgy and more "rolling" like the South Downs are supposed to be.

Because it's not a true FSX airport, there aren't any starting points, parking spots or official runways/taxiways here - when you select "Active Runway" it'll dump you in the middle of the landing area, not pointing at any part of the airfield in particular. If I ever work out how to get around that, I'll put it in a future update as well.

Last but not least, this is just the BGL files - you'll need Bill Womack's WW2 buildings (if you have my Hixon or Digby or Bill's RAF West Malling that comes with the RAS Spitfires, you'll have them) for the Over Blisters and the Small Buildings library by Ted Andrews for the A and B type huts. You won't have the vehicles you'll see in the images because the textures on them are still very much draft, as you'll also see.

I hope someone finds a use for it anyway... I actually quite like the place now, considering how much time I've spent swearing and yelling at it demanding to know why the mesh edits didn't work.

Link: http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/historical/raf/x2fr/IJP_X2FR_v0_1.zip

I'll go back to lurking in the deluminated place now.

Ian P.