PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 home premium and FSX?

Jim Brown
July 1st, 2010, 12:34
I just installed FSX today, but it doesn't seem to be running right. I start the program, the color scheme on the entire CPU reverts back to Win7 basic, and then the program doesn't respond. How do I fix this?

Thoe6969
July 1st, 2010, 13:04
I just installed FSX today, but it doesn't seem to be running right. I start the program, the color scheme on the entire CPU reverts back to Win7 basic, and then the program doesn't respond. How do I fix this? I,m running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
and mine reverts back to basic color also,but the sim works great.Are you running it as an administrator?

Gdavis101
July 1st, 2010, 13:16
I have Home Premium 64bit to and no problems here.. My colors revert to basic as well.

ryanbatc
July 1st, 2010, 13:24
I'd recommend turning the aero interface completely off. That's why it's reverting to basic - because it can't operate with the aero stuff on (the glitzy flashy stuff)

guzler
July 1st, 2010, 13:28
I'd recommend turning the aero interface completely off. That's why it's reverting to basic - because it can't operate with the aero stuff on (the glitzy flashy stuff)

how would you do this ?

Jim Brown
July 1st, 2010, 13:41
Yeah, I'm running as an administrator; only have one account..:banghead:

ryanbatc
July 1st, 2010, 13:45
I'm on Vista and not super familiar with Win7.

The easiest way to do it is:

START button->settings->control panel->system->advanced system settings (located under tasks) then click "advanced" tab, then performance settings, visual effects:

select "adjust for best performance" then check use drop shadows for icons on the desktop

I also run in classic XP mode, right click on taskbar, start menu TAB, then select "classic start menu"

stormtrooper271
July 1st, 2010, 14:14
I am running windows 7 64-bit, and mine reverts to basic too. FSX on my pc runs fine, just takes about a minute to start up.

gradyhappyg
July 1st, 2010, 14:37
The first time you start FSX on a new Windows 7 OS it takes forever.
If I remember it took 10-20 minutes the first time on my system.
Now it fires right up. Crank it up and go eat a sandwich and watch a movie unless
you get some type of warning you should be good to go whan you get back.

hanger
July 1st, 2010, 15:41
Windows 7 comes in 5 versions.
I have Windows 7 Ultimate, which has all the bell and whistles.
My FSX works flawlessly.
FSX is windowsXP compatable.
I have windowsxp emulator.

Windows 7 Home is limited to 5 Applications, and is not WindowsXP Compatable.
See site $Soft for an explanation of this

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

WindowsXP (emmulator) is dowmloadable through the $Soft web site.
WindowsXP (emmulator) is available for Windows 7 Professional to Windows 7 Ultimate.

majorv
July 1st, 2010, 18:48
hanger:

Sorry, mate, but you are really giving out a lot of BAD information! Like the other posters above, I use Windows 7 Home Premium 74-bit without any problems whatsoever. Please do not tell people that they need W7 Ultimate to run FSX - IT IS NOT SO! Jim Brown can do anything he needs to with Windows 7 Home Premium - he merely needs to TURN OFF USER ACCOUNT CONTROL as explained above! He does not need to shell out another $100 for some sort of magic fix for something that ain't broke!

Windows 7 Home is limited to 5 Applications, and is not WindowsXP Compatable.

Uh ..., not quite. The five check marks on the MS marketing page are FEATURES, not APPLICATIONS. Windows 7 Home Premium can run an unlimited number of applications, just like the more expensive versions.

Not XP compatible? Wrong again. Wanna see? Here is a screen shot from my Windows 7 Home Premium machine:

As you can plainly see, you can run almost any application in XP mode (especially FSX) using nothing but Windows 7 Home Premium and your trusty mouse. What about the MS marketing hype, you ask? Well, you gotta read the fine print:

"Run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/windows-xp-mode.aspx).http://www.microsoft.com/windows/framework/images/tooltips/tooltip_3.gif"

Uh, FSX is NOT a productivity program! (If fact, it will insure that you spend many UNproductive hours simming away!)

Jim Brown - just turn off UAC and your life will be great. Do not give MS another $100 - use it to buy more FSX payware instead!

Major V